What's new

DMT 600/1200 combo

Are you guys using the 600/1200 DMT with the interrupted surface? I'm looking for something to use for the rough blades before they go to the coticule. Is this what you would recommend? The interrupted surface kind of scares me.

*edit* It looks like I could get a separate Naniwa 400 and 1000 for about the same price as the DMT. Any thoughts on one vs. the other?

Looks like you snagged a stone afterall :thumbup1:

I have the DMT 600/1200 uninterrupted surface. I set the bevel on that then move to the coticule. It worked great my first try out of the gate.

Looks like you snagged a stone afterall :thumbup1:

I have the DMT 600/1200 uninterrupted surface. I set the bevel on that then move to the coticule. It worked great my first try out of the gate.

Who sells the 600/1200 uninterrupted? All I can find are the interrupted surface hones.

mine is the interrupted one, with the little dots in it. Seems to work just fine. Doing X strokes and circles I'm not worried about unevenly treating the edge.

mine is the interrupted one, with the little dots in it. Seems to work just fine. Doing X strokes and circles I'm not worried about unevenly treating the edge.

Does it feel smooth to run the razor across it?

*edit* Also, do you have to have water continuously running on these?

Last edited:
Feels smooth in that it doesn't catch or anything. With my eyes shut I couldn't tell you it wasn't continuous. I have a barbers hone with it's name carved into one face and it tells you to use that side in the instructions in the box... figured this was fine too.

I don't HAVE to have water running all the time, but it feels nicer that way. Just like when finishing on my coti.

I don't HAVE to have water running all the time, but it feels nicer that way. Just like when finishing on my coti.

What is your setup for the running water, out of curiosity? Do you just hone in the sink? I was trying to decide how I would do this, it seems like it would be a bit awkward in the sink.

Here's where I got mine.

Ah... ok great. Thanks for that. The 6EF is the 600/1200? I think I will probably go with that continuous surface type.

*edit* nm... I see in the item details now... 6EF is the one.

*edit* Are you running water on yours or just spraying it down?

Last edited:
Ah... ok great. Thanks for that. The 6EF is the 600/1200? I think I will probably go with that continuous surface type.

*edit* nm... I see in the item details now... 6EF is the one.

*edit* Are you running water on yours or just spraying it down?

Yes 6EF is 600/1200 combo. I use like a do my cuticule. I get it wet and start doing x strokes if it needs water I drop some more on same as if the coticule starts to dry. I just have a little bowl of water at my honing station. I like it a lot. Easy to use and I got great results.

I've currently got a DMT 600/1200 on my shopping list. I've got a DMT 200/325 which is great for getting rid of chips and ragged edges on blades but I'm looking for something as a dedicated bevel setter and I reckon 600/1200 would be great. I find my Shapton Pro Ceramic 1000 to be a little slow on the straights that are made of harder steel so it will be nice to have another option.

I've currently got a DMT 600/1200 on my shopping list. I've got a DMT 200/325 which is great for getting rid of chips and ragged edges on blades but I'm looking for something as a dedicated bevel setter and I reckon 600/1200 would be great. I find my Shapton Pro Ceramic 1000 to be a little slow on the straights that are made of harder steel so it will be nice to have another option.

Is it the diamond material that makes it an efficient and all around cutter?

What is your setup for the running water, out of curiosity? Do you just hone in the sink? I was trying to decide how I would do this, it seems like it would be a bit awkward in the sink.

Just in the sink. I hold my hones in my hand so it's no big deal. The kitchen sink is roomier for sure, but the sink in my shave den/bathroom works just fine too.

Of note, on Jarrods website he describes the DMT performing better once broke in properly. Just thought I'd throw that out there at something I read on his site.

Of note, on Jarrods website he describes the DMT performing better once broke in properly. Just thought I'd throw that out there at something I read on his site.

It also says that in the documentation in the box. It certainly feels nicer after a couple razors have taken a ride on it.

Are you guys using the 600/1200 DMT with the interrupted surface? I'm looking for something to use for the rough blades before they go to the coticule. Is this what you would recommend? The interrupted surface kind of scares me.

*edit* It looks like I could get a separate Naniwa 400 and 1000 for about the same price as the DMT. Any thoughts on one vs. the other?

The Naniwas would take up more space, but they'd also feel more like real stones. To be honest, I hate the feel of DMTs. But they are also pretty fast and trouble-free, unlike Naniwas (which need lapping and deglazing).

I use the duosharp interrupted surface one. Has great feedback and has seen over 100 razors with no issues.

The Naniwas would take up more space, but they'd also feel more like real stones. To be honest, I hate the feel of DMTs. But they are also pretty fast and trouble-free, unlike Naniwas (which need lapping and deglazing).

For me the advantages of DMT's outweigh the advantages of synth whetstones. The real decision is DMT or Coticule at the low end. Which I use mainly depends on which one happens to be in arms reach at the time. I used synth whetstones for awhile at the low end and was sick of the time and mess involved in soaking. I don't really like the feel of DMT's either, but if you want "feel" then your only options are natural stones. Everything else is a stopgap.

Top Bottom