What's new

Dixie razor question

I have a vintage "Dixie Blue Steel" razor that I've been using lately. Does anyone know the blade composition of these razors? I have no information at my disposal. The blade does not indicate, so I'm wondering if it's stainless, or carbon steel. My newbie honing techniques seem to be working alright thanks much to the great info here. I'm wondering though, what are the notable differences when honing stainless vs. carbon steel? Any specific differences in technique?

Yes definately carbon steel and damn good quality at that.

I've got one from when they were under the name of Union Razor Cutlery Co. and it is one of my favorites.

-80s

Thanks! Nice to know. It was my first ever straight, and I have done all the honing myself from start to finish. The learning was not the kindest to my face, but I expected much worse. Things got better very quickly, and I'm starting to feel very comfortable with everything. I have two more vintage straights now which seemed to hone up nicely. I use a DMT D8 XX Fine followed by a vintage barber's finishing stone, and then strop.

Top Bottom