What's new

distilled water in whiskey

Made me think of a little segue...
I heard of rock bands mixing or supplementing Pedialyte with there alcohol.
I think we know some reason why. Never tried it thou...

The only strange mix I have ever done.
At 18, my best friend had a big house party. Hot, hot summer night.
And we all had Ice Cream Beer (Moosehead) Floats, Ladies included...
Yes, there was a lot post drinking damage control later.....not pretty...

BFX

Spring water straight up for me now.....

but if you ever go to Whiskyfest and do a tasting panel/educational seminar they give you a small glass of distilled water
Interesting. I did not realize they used distilled water at such tastings. I seem to stand corrected and am happy to be so.

Depending on where you live tap water can range from great to terrible, and it’s not just the taste of the water.
Yes, just so on both counts. Where I am I am confident the taste of the tap water varies considerably. For one thing, I am certain the chlorine level varies according to conditions, and I think there are public announcements from time to time about the taste of the water not affecting that it is still safe to drink. My impression is that the usual chlorine content of the local tap water has gone up considerably since I grew up in this area. Whether that results from an evolution of thinking on safety or changes in conditions of water sources over time, I do not know.

I really do not consider it to be good for drinking, and I do not cook with it, or, say make coffee or tea with it. For the latter purposes, I either use it after filtering with a Brita or I simply use bought spring or filtered water.

That said, I have been places where the local tap water was a revelation in quality!

I know this subject matter is similar to the "anyone put water in their Scotch" or whatever the precise title is, but I thought this was different enough to warrant a new thread. I apologize if others think it is creating an excessive number of threads.

FWIW, the latest issue of Cooks Illustrated reports the results of taste tests, blind as I understand it, of putting water in whisky. (It may have been Scotch only. I do not have the magazine with me.)

They state that the results are very clear that distilled water brings out the flavors and I assume aromas of whisky better than other water. The theory seems to be that minerals in other waters bind to some extent with aroma and flavor molecules in whiskies and dampen them to some extent, whereas distilled water having no minerals exclusively opens whiskies up. They did not seem to reach a conclusion re optimal amount of water. I seem to remember one teaspoon to two tablespoons being mentioned. I do not remember if they mentioned making ice cubes with distilled water which seems like an obvious thing to do given the taste results.

This seems counterintuitive to me, but much of life does. :) I generally have a good deal of faith in KI/ATK tasting results. And I doubt the American Distilled Water Association had a hand in the tests. :) If the results are really as clear as indicated, this seems meaningful.
That was the way Frank Sinatra like to drink his Jack Daniels, which was his favorite drink. Jack Daniels and or three fingers of Jack Daniels and water.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I’ll try making the ice from distilled water. I used to use metal whiskey stones but prefer ice because of the water.
deafficianado:
1700804969124-png.1753175
...we also use distilled water (drinking & cooking),...we just fill-up our standard ice trays & freeze. :thumbsup:

proxy.php
"He who cannot put his [libations] on ice should not enter into the heat of [spirits]". Friedrich Nietzsche

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I have well water and use that. I like the taste of well water from the faucet. My ice is made with well water. I tried using filtered well water once to make our morning coffee and it didn't taste as good.

Top Bottom