What's new

Disposal of used DE blades when in hotel?

Mrs Elliott and I just got back from a trip down to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. My lovely wife and I stayed for six nights and I brought along my newly-acquired DE travel kit. One thing I hadn't prepared for was disposal of used DE blades. I didn't want to throw them in the wastebasket, folks in Mexico are poorer than we, and it would not surprise me to learn that guest wastebaskets are routinely poked through for items a (comparatively) rich person might have discarded that are worth a small amount of money. The vision of someone reaching into the rubbish and pulling out a bloody hand came to me.

So when I left I placed the blades in plain view on a bit of paper with the word "peligroso" (danger) written on it.

I'm sure the housekeeper figured it out.

But for the future: how do you guys handle the blade disposal issue when in a hotel?

I put them back in the bottom of the box they came out of, most of them have a small compartment underneath to slide used blades into and then I dispose of the whole box.

Best thing to do is have a few of the plastic blade dispenser cases (the ones that Feathers, Crystals, Derbys come in) even if the blades you use come in cardboard. That way, when you travel you can transfer the blades to the plastic dispenser which has a used blade slot in the bottom.

I'd probably knock together a quick blade bank out of a can of evaporated milk or something similar that's easy to decant through a slit or hole. Easy enough to put that stuff into a tupperware in the fridge, or plan ahead and keep one after it's used before the trip. It wouldn't take much space in the luggage, and then you can just throw away or recycle the whole thing before heading home.

I use an empty tin of Altoid's Smalls at home and would be perfect for traveling. Cut a slit in the top near one end.

If the OP didn't check any bags, then I would not bring the blade back, even if you were to put it in some sort of blade bank unless you plan on tossing the entire blade bank in the trash in Mexico. You cannot count on the TSA to use any sort of logic were you to bring it back on carry on.

Regarding the plastic blade dispensers, I tried to use one the other day to store a used blade and in the process of moving it around, the blade came partially back out. I won't be using those again. What I would consider on a trip, however, is using one of those and taping the slot closed, then tossing that.

I thought you just push them into the apples many hotels have in bowls in the lobby/hallway. Seriously, I wrap them up in the note pad paper by the phone and put them in the garbage in the bathroom. I suspect the bags from the BR and shown some respect anyway!!

So when I left I placed the blades in plain view on a bit of paper with the word "peligroso" (danger) written on it.

I'm sure the housekeeper figured it out.

And promptly threw them in the trash.

I think most people here are way too concerned with razor blade disposal. Do you really think wrapping them up and tossing them is more dangerous than a broken bottle in the trash is?

Last edited:
Wrap them up in a good bit of toilet paper, folded repeatedly so they dont fall out, and throw in the trash.

EoinMag wrote, 'I don't even want exposed razor blades in my own bin, never mind a hotel bin."

Funny story: after setting the blades in a very visible place, on that sheet of paper with "danger" written on it, my wife, who returned to the room to do some more packing, thought my disposal method was silly and dumped the blades in the wastebasket after first putting them into a small cardboard candy box along with other trash. I later came back to the room because we were missing something. I started to pull things out of the wastebasket to see if we'd thrown the item away accidentally. I found the candy box and fished around inside with my fingers, finding little balls of wadded up receipts and stuff and then pulled out the blades.

I am still amazed that I didn't cut myself.

This could happen to anyone, and in severely poverty-stricken countries you know that stuff in tourist hotel wastebaskets is examined for perfectly-good trinkets and travel items that a wealthy tourist might consider trash, items which might provide the raw materials for more trinkets, or even be worth money. Think India. Anyone who's traveled in India knows that nothing is ever discarded, only the trashiest trash, the filthiest rubbish is considered to have no value. Folk who travel in First World countries probably don't need to worry that their hotel room wastebasket's contents won't be poked-through, but I personally don't plan to make that assumption when traveling in places where the poverty level makes it a risk.

Wrapping in toilet paper is probably good -- someone curious is bound to unwrap slowly: one never knows what kind of disgusting body fluid horror may be wrapped up like that.

EoinMag wrote, 'I don't even want exposed razor blades in my own bin, never mind a hotel bin."

Funny story: after setting the blades in a very visible place, on that sheet of paper with "danger" written on it, my wife, who returned to the room to do some more packing, thought my disposal method was silly and dumped the blades in the wastebasket after first putting them into a small cardboard candy box along with other trash. I later came back to the room because we were missing something. I started to pull things out of the wastebasket to see if we'd thrown the item away accidentally. I found the candy box and fished around inside with my fingers, finding little balls of wadded up receipts and stuff and then pulled out the blades.

I am still amazed that I didn't cut myself.

This could happen to anyone, and in severely poverty-stricken countries you know that stuff in tourist hotel wastebaskets is examined for perfectly-good trinkets and travel items that a wealthy tourist might consider trash, items which might provide the raw materials for more trinkets, or even be worth money. Think India. Anyone who's traveled in India knows that nothing is ever discarded, only the trashiest trash, the filthiest rubbish is considered to have no value. Folk who travel in First World countries probably don't need to worry that their hotel room wastebasket's contents won't be poked-through, but I personally don't plan to make that assumption when traveling in places where the poverty level makes it a risk.

Wrapping in toilet paper is probably good -- someone curious is bound to unwrap slowly: one never knows what kind of disgusting body fluid horror may be wrapped up like that.

At some point you just have to not worry about it. You threw them away in a box so they don't poke through the bag and cut someone. I know some people are poor and dig through trash, but they choose to do that and you shouldn't feel responsible to protect them from your blades any further than you already have. Your compassion should be praised though.

Top Bottom