What's new

Disposable-blade straight vs. the real deal

How do the straight razors that use half-DE blades compare to a real straight? I know some people say their face stays smooth longer with a straight, but is that because of the blade itself, or the control that you have over it?

I know the disposable-blade ones are easier to maintain, but are the shaves more like a DE, a straight, or in between?

I'm asking this because I've acquired a couple real straights, but even when they're "shave ready" they are significantly harder to pull down my face than the cheap DE straight that I bought, which slices through the hair with no pressure at all. Will a real straight ever get this sharp on an ongoing consistent basis with the proper maintenance? Should I wait to use the real straights until I'm able to get them as sharp as the DE blade? Do I even want them that sharp?

Thanks for the info.

Danksalot

I prefer my Shavette over my real straights... you lose some cool points... but as far as the shave I love it. I do not use the half DE blades though. I use the full length blades. That being said, A properly honed and stropped Straight can give just as easy a shave.IMO

Fuzzy

The question is how do you know your straights are shave ready? The fact they seem to pull pretty much answers that question that they are not shave ready. You should be able to get a similar shave with either type of razor.

As far as feel goes the disposable feels different and make no bones about it a disposable is not a straight. because it looks like one in appearance does not mean it is one.

I have two Feather AC "disposable straights." I also have about 8 traditional straight razors. I purchased the traditional straights "shave-ready" from either B&B or SRP. I have used them all. IMO, the Feather AC "disposable straight" requires the same shaving technique as a traditional straight razor. You must pay careful attention when using the Feather AC just as you would a traditional straight.

I find the shave very similar to that of a traditional straight razor. However, the blade sharpness of the Feather blade surpasses that of the traditional straight. I get a smoother shave with the Feather AC. The other side is that due to the sharpness of the Feather blades I can cut myself more easily with the Feather AC than a traditional straight. I can get a good shave from either but prefer the shave of the Feather AC.

However, the traditional straight has the benefit of more involvement in your shave. There is some pride taken in the fact that I can hone, strop and prepare a blade for a shave. While this is certainly an on-going work in progress there is a satisfication in being able to do it all yourself and get a good shave.

I think a Feather AC RG razor with the Pro-Guard blades would give you a very good idea of what shaving with a straight razor is like. You do not need a strop or hone and that is the benefit to this approach. However, the blades are sharp and it takes time to master the straight shave. You can certainly pick up an inexpensive shave ready straight (check here or SRP) and a reasonably priced strop for roughly the same cost as a Feather AC. The choice is really up to you.

NOTE: I have not tried some of the other "shavettes" that use a traditional DE blade cut in half and so can't compare them directly to a traditional straight. My only disposable straights are the Feather AC.

Buying and wasting when it's not needed is something i never been a fan of. And as for the sharpness of the blade, i couldn't imagine a blade sharper than the one i'm using at the moment :eek:

I don't think there's many people that have used a Feather and a straight razor that wouldn't say the Feather is a good deal sharper. When I used to use the Feather, I'd change the blade when it felt about as sharp as a sharp straight.

Thanks for weighing in guys, so far we have people saying that:

- Disposables are sharper
- Traditional straights are sharper
- The two are very similar
- The two are very different

It looks like I had this figured out before I asked. Really though, there is a lot of useful stuff you guys have shared. I think I'll work on my shaving technique with my DE Straight and work on my honing/stropping technique with the straights until they get a little closer to the sharpness of the disposable.

Again, thanks for the info.

Danksalot

Thanks for weighing in guys, so far we have people saying that:

- Disposables are sharper
- Traditional straights are sharper
- The two are very similar
- The two are very different

Glad we could help clear things up for you. :biggrin:

I have straights and a Feather. And heres what Ive found...YMMV

Feather Professional blades are the sharpest and most UNFORGIVING blade that has every touched my face.

A straight razor is smoother in terms of cutting and offers so much more feed back. Think about it...A traditional straight razors cutting edge is the same piece of steel that you hold onto. No other razor can say that.

Lastly, straights never need new blades.

While I enjoy the better shaves I get with wet shaving in general. Now that its a hobby a traditional straight has no equal in experience! Its like using a brush. Its about the feel of the experience!

Top Bottom