What's new

Discussion Thread for 5/8 Filarmonica #12 "Double Temple" Review

Joel,

That looks like a beauty. Would this be a good first straight razor? And, where does one find Filarmonica's; eBay?

Thanks

Jeff

She sure is pretty... :001_tt1:

I read your comment about not immediately going for the expensive brands. I have a list of razor brands that I look for on eBay but the problem is that these razors ARE expensive; at least they are becoming so. I'd like to get a razor for $30-40 and hone/strop it myself. But at $60+ (completed eBay listings for Filarmonica), I have to pass. With 3 very good shavers already, anything that high that I still have to make shave-ready better lather on its own.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Joel,

That looks like a beauty. Would this be a good first straight razor? And, where does one find Filarmonica's; eBay?

Thanks

Jeff

Try classicshaving.com for a 7/8 ... apparently Filly has stopped making straights, and these are some of the last new ones around. Or, of course, eBay.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
So Joel how would a newbe find such a razor and even know if its real or if its in good condition?
:huh:

I only know 2 places, either B/S/T on this forum or eBay.

So Joel how would a newbe find such a razor and even know if its real or if its in good condition?
:huh:

i don't recall seeing any fakes, but the "new" doble temple filis don't have the same stamp n the tang,, IIRC, just a etching or something like that.

She sure is pretty... :001_tt1:

I read your comment about not immediately going for the expensive brands. I have a list of razor brands that I look for on eBay but the problem is that these razors ARE expensive; at least they are becoming so. I'd like to get a razor for $30-40 and hone/strop it myself. But at $60+ (completed eBay listings for Filarmonica), I have to pass. With 3 very good shavers already, anything that high that I still have to make shave-ready better lather on its own.

Oh man, doesn't that just sound funny reading it today? How time changes things! :lol:

The more recent production Fillys were sold by classic shaving and do not carry the gold wash on the blade. They re also twice as heavy and feel more like a tool than a delicate shaving instrument. I have had the opportunity to hone and shave with a couple and to me they are not as worthy a blade.

Top Bottom