What's new

Discussion Thread for 5/8 Filarmonica #12 "Double Temple" Review

The more recent production Fillys were sold by classic shaving and do not carry the gold wash on the blade. They re also twice as heavy and feel more like a tool than a delicate shaving instrument. I have had the opportunity to hone and shave with a couple and to me they are not as worthy a blade.

I know this is a rehashed thread, but those CS razors were without a doubt not the same steel as the old production stuff. I friend and fellow Filophile in Spain believes that the very last production "Filarmonica's" actually used imported steel (Paki/Chinese?) Having honed on one these CS models I would say it was closer in quality to a Gold Dollar than a "Sello Oro" FWIW.

I would not say they were Gold Dollar at all because the heft of the made that cross my mind. I just recently honed some Gold Dollars and the feel going accross the stones was much different. The Filly's felt like the steel used in bearing races.

Last edited:
I would not say they were Gold Dollar at all because the heft of the made that cross my mind. I just recently honed some Gold Dollars and the feel going accross the stones was much different. The Filly's felt like the steel used in bearing races.

I may have mispoke...I believe it was a Double Arrow?? I may have been looking for to compare...very heavy and hard/harsh feeling steel that didn't take an edge without a lot of time and finesse. My only point is that the steel in the CS Filarmonica was much differant than regular/earlier production Filarmonicas.:velva2:

I know nothing of the double Arrow but I have heard of them. If you have one one of these Filly's Ill put an edge on it for you though if you like.

I know nothing of the double Arrow but I have heard of them. If you have one one of these Filly's Ill put an edge on it for you though if you like.

I parted with it long ago but thank you for the kind offer. I did manage to get it to shave decent with multiple tape layer on the spine and a fair amount of sweat on a 1K. I just didn't have the "soft" feel like I prefer and find most Filarmonicas to have. I have seen many postings of people who good things to say about them so I suspect there were "good ones" and "not so good ones". It is interesting that when you see them for sale, they are often "overhoned" towards the toe (square point somewhat rounded). Any idea why that would be?

I would assume it has to do with the honing style of people. I do know that a very unlucky razor can pass through several owners before it finally lays to rest in the back of the shaving hardware collection and you may be seeing the same razor passing hands multiple times. Also there is a tendency for people to hone the toe harder than the heel causing the uneven wear and once it starts it just gets worse if no one corrects it.

Top Bottom