What's new

Dignity and the Wet shave

I will never forget my time in Poland in the mid-90s. This was not long after Perestroika and the Solidarity movement. Poland had broken away from Russia, but had not yet joined the EU.

The smells were...notable.

Smoking was still a thing at that point, and it was impossible to escape the stench of stale burnt cheap tobacco mixed with the smoke of curently burning cheap tobacco.

On top of that, deodorant was simply not a thing, so everywhere you went, the sour, oniony smell of BO hung in the air, intertwined with that eye watering smoke.

One Saturday in August, we took the public bus from the city to a small farming village about 20km out of town. There was no air conditioning, and the bus was filled with hard working farmers. Sunday Mass was not for 24 hours, so most of the riders had not yet had their weekly bath.

I was thankful for the smell of tobacco.
Wait, are you sharing a memory or just a description of a great puck of Tabac? I couldn’t tell exactly. :cuppa:

Last edited:
Lol...I was! Had a few Cohibas from the duty free.
9bcf90955632ea8627ede8b8820e9d3f_w200.gif

Day 14: Proud but Sleepy

The sound of Xylophone playing fills my ears. It's 3:22 am and my wife's phone is going off.

"Hello....yes, not a problem. Really, it's OK. Ah huh...ah huh... I see good flow on the doppler...ah huh. No, there is good flow to the testicle...nope....looks like a tubular structure moving in the scrotum...yes, you should call the Night Hawks"

When I hear someone talking about stat wet reads of the testicle, I can't help but imagine what the poor sod must be going through. It turns out the poor sod was a four year old boy. Ugh. Poor kid!

I also felt badly for the newly licensed sonographer, a 27-year old that my wife had taken under her wing at the hospital. The young woman was covering the night shift and this was her first time dealing with frantic parents and a screaming child by herself. And, it was 3:22 in the morning.

My wife calmed her mentee down, helped the sonographer document the case and guided her through next steps. 3:51 am: The Night Hawks diagnosed the child's infermity...hernia, but they couldn't rule out intermittent torsion.

My wife is now texting with the young technician. I lie here looking at her. I couldn't be prouder.

Not nine hours earlier, my lovely bride of 31 years was having dinner at a restaurant near the hospital. Her other mentee (still a student and no longer at the hospital) was working as a waitress there. "Are you almost ready for your exam?" my wife asked.

"I am having trouble getting myself into the right frame of mind to study." The young woman said. "Every time I look at my books, I find an excuse."

"Adria, if you are going to land a job with us and, most importantly, work with me, you need to pass this test! You won't even get a job as a per diem without that. This is what we're going to do. Every Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, I will meet you at the diner near the hospital at 2:15pm, just after I finish my shift. We'll spend 45 minutes going over what you studied since our last review. Sound good?" Adria teared up a bit.

My wife just gave this young student nearly three hours a week of tutoring. Just because. I can imagine her taking a sweatshirt out of her bag and draping it over the student's shoulder. A smile on my lips, I close my eyes, wrap my arms around my girl, and drift off to sleep.

Today's shave of the day:

IMG_5462.jpeg

Pre-Shave
BigAlVista's Shave Butter, PAA cube and Grooming Dept. Mojito Preshave
Soap/Cream
AofS Bergamot and Nerouli
Brush
Simpsons Polo 14 Manchuruan
Scuttle
Pereira
Razor
Blackbird Lite
Blade
London Bidge - CN
1st Pass Eval
2nd Pass Eval
3rd / Buffing Pass Eval
Razer, Blade and Cream Observations
The AofS shave cream really works well. The Blackbird Lite is a great razor for that blade.
Post Shave
Thayers, AofS Bourbon balm
Cologne/Fragrance
Burberry Brit
Overall Efficiency
Efficient. 2.5 passes. I'm curious to see how this blade holds up. The first one Petered out quickly.
End of Shave Irritation
Negligible.
Nicks
Weepers
Overall Shave Rating
9.6: BBS
Comments
This shave reminds me that we should try to give things a second chance. This shave was better than expected, given the performance of the 1st Chinese made London Bridge blade I tried.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
Day 14: Proud but Sleepy

The sound of Xylophone playing fills my ears. It's 3:22 am and my wife's phone is going off.

"Hello....yes, not a problem. Really, it's OK. Ah huh...ah huh... I see good flow on the doppler...ah huh. No, there is good flow to the testicle...nope....looks like a tubular structure moving in the scrotum...yes, you should call the Night Hawks"

When I hear someone talking about stat wet reads of the testicle, I can't help but imagine what the poor sod must be going through. It turns out the poor sod was a four year old boy. Ugh. Poor kid!

I also felt badly for the newly licensed sonographer, a 27-year old that my wife had taken under her wing at the hospital. The young woman was covering the night shift and this was her first time dealing with frantic parents and a screaming child by herself. And, it was 3:22 in the morning.

My wife calmed her mentee down, helped the sonographer document the case and guided her through next steps. 3:51 am: The Night Hawks diagnosed the child's infermity...hernia, but they couldn't rule out intermittent torsion.

My wife is now texting with the young technician. I lie here looking at her. I couldn't be prouder.

Not nine hours earlier, my lovely bride of 31 years was having dinner at a restaurant near the hospital. Her other mentee (still a student and no longer at the hospital) was working as a waitress there. "Are you almost ready for your exam?" my wife asked.

"I am having trouble getting myself into the right frame of mind to study." The young woman said. "Every time I look at my books, I find an excuse."

"Adria, if you are going to land a job with us and, most importantly, work with me, you need to pass this test! You won't even get a job as a per diem without that. This is what we're going to do. Every Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, I will meet you at the diner near the hospital at 2:15pm, just after I finish my shift. We'll spend 45 minutes going over what you studied since our last review. Sound good?" Adria teared up a bit.

My wife just gave this young student nearly three hours a week of tutoring. Just because. I can imagine her taking a sweatshirt out of her bag and draping it over the student's shoulder. A smile on my lips, I close my eyes, wrap my arms around my girl, and drift off to sleep.

View attachment 1816452

Pre-Shave
Soap/Cream
Brush
Simpsons Polo 14 Manchuruan
Scuttle
Pereira
Razor
Blackbird Lite
Blade
London Bidge - CN
1st Pass Eval
2nd Pass Eval
3rd / Buffing Pass Eval
The AofS shave cream really works well. The Blackbird Lite is a great razor for that blade.
Post Shave
Cologne/Fragrance
Burberry Brit
Overall Efficiency
Efficient. 2.5 passes. I'm curious to see how this blade holds up. The first one Petered out quickly.
End of Shave Irritation
Negligible.
Nicks
Weepers
Overall Shave Rating
9.6: BBS
Comments
This shave reminds me that we should try to give things a second chance. This shave was better than expected, given the performance of the 1st Chinese made London Bridge blade I tried.
I love the handle on that brush, sir.

Day 15: Fatherhood

My older son and his fiancé came up for the weekend. They are leaving the big wormy apple, moving into a nice rental in southern CT, and buying a car. They both have good jobs and work like dogs. Most of their friends are planning their weddings; they have 7 to go to over the next year and a half, including their own. To say they are busy would be an understatement. My wife and I are thrilled to have them visit for a couple of days.

They are going car shopping later today - they have their heart set on a Hyundai SUV. The dealership is about 30 minutes from our house and my wife and I want to spend the time with them. I'm going to join them at the dealership while my wife goes to the Polish market a few blocks from there. I can almost smell the fresh bocek and kiełbasa.

I spent the better part of the day yesterday taking my head and neck for a test drive. I logged 8,500 steps and spent an hour in the car driving. By 9pm, I was ready to collapse and I had some pain radiating from the stitches to my right shoulder. Not happy about that, but otherwise, the day went well.

I stand in front of that questioning mirror again: "Are you gonna do this today?" The pain radiating from the sutures gives me pause, but I do want to spend the day with everyone.

As I lift the razor to my face, I remember reading to that same son some 26 years ago about perseverance. "I think I can. I think I can. I think I can..."

IMG_5464.jpeg

Pre-Shave
Soap/Cream
Brush
Sawdust Creation 2-band
Scuttle
Pereira
Razor
Blackbird Lite
Blade
London Bidge - CN (2)
1st Pass Eval
2nd Pass Eval
3rd / Buffing Pass Eval
Post Shave
Cologne/Fragrance
Channel Allure
Overall Efficiency
Reasonably efficient. 2.5 passes. Not as sharp as yesterday's shave
End of Shave Irritation
Negligible.
Nicks
Weepers
Overall Shave Rating
9.2: BBS-
Comments
2nd shave on this Chinese made London Bridge blade. Not as close a shave as yesterday's

Last edited:
Thanks for the compliment.

@Osyri, What can you do with the force (dare I ask)?
Jedi Mind trick is when You willing PIF me your brushes =D or in the case of APB, I make him file ridiculous police report as his razor is missing!

Jedi Mind trick is when You willing PIF me your brushes =D or in the case of APB, I make him file ridiculous police report as his razor is missing!

Good luck with that!

Day 16: Fatherhood, part 2

My older son (Vic) is the proud lesee of a dark green 2024 Hyundai Santa Fe XLT. Though we went to the dealership together, my son needed to pick up the car that same day and the dealership was able to oblige. After sitting in a chair for over 3.5 hours wearing my "choke collar", I was glad to take my leave while Vic and his Fiancée Donna waited for the car. As they pulled up the driveway a couple of hours later, my son beamed at me with his chin held high.

It's pouring outside, but I wanted to see what made him so happy. The car was beautiful. Sunroof, Apple car play, wireless charging and nice big displays, 270hp turbo motor, big fat off-road tires, great sound system. As Vic would say, "It looked diesel".

I remember when he was a high school catcher playing for an AAU travel baseball team. They were in a tournament in central CT. He was 5'11" and 185 pounds of pure thigh muscle. He had wavy blond hair, wore sporty rimless, mirrored sunglasses. He looked over the field, his teammates and the opponents as if he were king of it all. As we walked back to the car after the game, he had that same happy confident grin plastered to his face that he wore coming home from the dealer

Some years later, my wife and I drove up to visit him in college. As I pulled up to the baseball field where he was practicing with his club team, I saw the familiar posture of my son the catcher behind home plate, sitting on a folding chair, helping a freshman pitcher work his change-up. I thought for a second he had a can of beer next to him, but it was just an energy drink. Their team was doing well that year, and he was the captain. As I got out of the car, he had that same wavy blond hair and confident grin.

He's traded in his bat for a Big Bertha, is working on his "dad bod" and uses the Henson + I gave him with a PermaSharp blade to clear away what remains of those once robust locks. He has a great job, a new home in Greenwich, a beautiful, smart, and adoring fiancé, and rocks that Santa Fe like he's king of the road.

I couldn't be prouder of him.

Today's shave of the day

Pre-Shave
Soap/Cream
Brush
Barbermatic with 28mm Boti synthetic knot
Scuttle
Pereira
Razor
Blackbird Lite
Blade
London Bidge - CN (3)
1st Pass Eval
2nd Pass Eval
3rd / Buffing Pass Eval
The TiBird Lite may displace my Henson ++ for my "it will work well with anything" razor. It's hard to get a bad shave with it.
Post Shave
Cologne/Fragrance
SV 70th
Overall Efficiency
Reasonably efficient. 2.5 passes. Similar to yesterday's shave.
End of Shave Irritation
A bit, as I was definitely chasing marble today
Nicks
Weepers
Overall Shave Rating
9.4: BBS
Comments
3rd (final) shave on this 2nd Chinese made London Bridge blade. Good shave. A bit of tug at the end. Despite an iffy showing with the first blade, this one provided three excellent shaves. Farewell, Shanghai.

Excellent! Ioniq 6. Auto-correct. Great looking vehicle. Are you getting a home charging station? That's the best way to do it. Also you can use Tesla charging stations by getting an adapter which is what we did for the wife's Volvo. Because sometimes, the other charging ports are being used. A hint: its best to only charge up to 80%. This helps to keep the battery life at an optimum.
Congrats again.

giphy-11.gif

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I'm 70 and during my years, I've only had one new personal vehicle. I leased a full size Dodge van to transport demo machines when I first got into industrial sales in 1984. I was naive... I drove that van around 70K miles a year.. on a lease. What a mistake.

Before and since, we've always bought used vehicles. We both have had new company vehicles during our working careers.

Dependable... that was our main criteria... From what I've read, Hyundai and Kia both make reliable cars. We've had good luck with Volvo (240s), Toyotas and now Lexus. They are all high mileage capable. I think Hyundai and Kia are working to establish themselves in that category.

Top Bottom