What's new

difference in GEMS

Not wanting to hijack a previous thread, here's a question that I have.
What are the differences between the GEM junior, 1912, and microm
atic?
I've just started collecting, and by sheer luck or devine guidance, I have managed to aquire both a micromatic and a 1912, and there is a junior that has my name on it when payday rolls around. The junior is a brass/gold with a black plastic or bakelite handle.

John

I'll take the easiest part of it.

The Micromatic is the only TTO (twist to open) Gem blade razor.

It had a very long production run, the majority of which were open comb style.

I find it the most consistently excellent shave I can get. :cool:

- Chris

If you look closely at that Gem Jr. with the bakelite handle, you will notice that it is, in fact, a 1912 model with a different handle. Besides Gem Jr., the 1912 with this handle was also sold under the Star name and perhaps other ASR tradenames. There was also a version which had a safety bar rather than the comb that was sold under the Treet tradename.

The name "Gem Jr." does not describe a specific razor model. There were other Gem Jr. models prior to the 1912.

Regards,
Tom

If you look closely at that Gem Jr. with the bakelite handle, you will notice that it is, in fact, a 1912 model with a different handle. Besides Gem Jr., the 1912 with this handle was also sold under the Star name and perhaps other ASR tradenames. There was also a version which had a safety bar rather than the comb that was sold under the Treet tradename.

The name "Gem Jr." does not describe a specific razor model. There were other Gem Jr. models prior to the 1912.

Regards,
Tom

Thanks for this info Tom! I'll have to give it a hard second look before I decide to pick it up or not.

John

John, don't take me wrong . . . I wasn't trying to discourage you from buying the fat handled Gem Junior. Many people love the feel of that handle and find that it is their favorite version of the 1912 design. It is certainly one of those cases of individual preference.

Besides, if you are considering yourself a collector, you might want to have it in your collection whether or not it turns out to be a favorite shaver. I have many razors in my collection that I have no particular love for as a shaver, but they are an interesting part of the history of safety razors and that is what my humble amateur collection is all about.

I know there are some folks here that feel that, "if you don't shave with a certain razor, why have it". If that is their view, I have no problem with that . . . On the other hand, if I collected coins, I doubt that I'd be spending them and if I collected stamps, I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't be using them to send out my mail. :blush:

Regards,
Tom

That ought to liven things up a bit!

(But you are right.)

The Micromatic is an open comb design that I find is too aggressive. It's one of the few razors I own that I don't want to use again. But it's a pretty razor in a very nice case so I keep it in my collection. I even prefer the Valet with it's dull blades and the time it takes to hone and strop it to make it useable. The Gem 1912 is a great razor. I don't have a Gem Junior (yet).

Len

The Micromatic is an open comb design that I find is too aggressive.

Just wanted to clarify, while many Gem Micromatic's are Open Comb, not all of them are, there are 3 distinct variations of the Micromatic:

-The Open Comb
-The ClogPruf, which has a modified safety bar design
-The Bullet Tip Micromatic, which has a true safety bar, and is in my experience the mildest of the three.

I found the Open Comb to be super aggressive, and the most aggressive of the three.

I'll be sliding by the antique store tomorrow.
Like Tom said, I may go ahead and pick it up just cuz it woul look cool sitting on the she'll with the other GEMs that I currently have.

Out of the different types of razors that I've run across so far, I really like the look and feel of the GEMs

John

Top Bottom