What's new

Did I just buy an Esher?

I'll play too. Did I just buy a thuringian?

VINTAGE RAZOR HONE IN BOX

It looks like a natural stone, but the size of the cut is different from pretty much all the thuringians I've seen, besides very old ones intended for woodworkers. I figured for $16 for a stone that long, worst that could happen is I get a polisher for the kitchen knives. I also figured that since it's only 1/4" thick, most Escher collectors wouldn't touch it.

That's a decent deal you got there. Me too believe Escher

It looks like a natural stone, but the size of the cut is different from pretty much all the thuringians I've seen, besides very old ones intended for woodworkers. I figured for $16 for a stone that long, worst that could happen is I get a polisher for the kitchen knives. I also figured that since it's only 1/4" thick, most Escher collectors wouldn't touch it.
Nope, you did not.

Looks like an india oil stone - definitely not a thuringian and definitely a synthetic stone.

:biggrin1:

When I used to scour listings for hones (not properly advertised) I got a good eye for what they usually contained. Although, I did pick up my 2 coti's for about $10-20 each and a 7x1.5" escher for $125 so it was worth it.

I have enough hones now that I don't even bother to look. Coticules are really the only ones that still interest me and I'd rather get some of the ones being presently mined.

Thanks for the feedback and the link. I guess I'm developing a good eye too, $20 at a time. :tongue_sm

It seems like you rarely see thurry/escher hones outside of a few common sizes... I probably should've known better from that indicator alone. The color is what threw me off.

Could be an Escher (there were 8x2" ones). I was watching that auction. Pics aren't lit well enough to see any stone details though, so it's a total gamble. Could be a China Nat. Could be black Ark. Could be Carborundum or Emery. Could be just about anything.

Op did get an Escher. I agree with Harvitz about the wood-backed stone. I'm pretty sure it's not a Thuringian, could very well be an India stone.

That is an oil stone

Top Bottom