What's new

Did Gillette change the scent of regular Foamy too?

The old Equate was good with a real barbershop mild scent. Stuff now evaporates when it hits the skin. The old was Canadian the new is from England.
I found a new can of Equate Sensitive in the bathroom at work. Didn't shave with it, but squirted it into my hand to see what the scent was like. More air than foam came out of the can than anything. Scent was OK, but nothing memorable. I'll pass on it.

I saw a redesigned can in the store today here in Belgium and the scent is very different. Really plain and boring. Kinda reminds me of arko which isn’t necessarily a bad thing but when I buy Gillette foam I want that smell and not arko lol, I can get arko for that XD.

I hope they revert back to the old scent at some point.
The new can kinda reminds me of the Nivea cans.

Unfortunately I buy several cans of shaving cream at a time and I just ran out and opened a new can. OMG!!! I put this crap on my face and head and began shaving, suddenly I realized the sickening whorehouse smell was this awful shaving cream. Gagging on it, I tried to get it off my skin but it was too late, I smelled like cheap cologne and even after washing with soap the scent would not go away. I finally used pure alcohol all over my freshly shaved body and the scent lightened up although the burning continued from the alcohol. Gillette what the hell were you thinking? Now I have several cans of this nasty **** I have to through away. Gillette you screwed up, I will never buy this horrible crap again. I don't want to smell like a 16 year old zit covered pubescent boy. The smell clashes with any quality cologne, it is way too overpowering and is really unpleasant. Lost me as a customer for good. I guess they want to attract the AXE body wash boys not discerning men. Off to buy Barbasol I guess.

Unfortunately I buy several cans of shaving cream at a time and I just ran out and opened a new can. OMG!!! I put this crap on my face and head and began shaving, suddenly I realized the sickening whorehouse smell was this awful shaving cream. Gagging on it, I tried to get it off my skin but it was too late, I smelled like cheap cologne and even after washing with soap the scent would not go away. I finally used pure alcohol all over my freshly shaved body and the scent lightened up although the burning continued from the alcohol. Gillette what the hell were you thinking? Now I have several cans of this nasty **** I have to through away. Gillette you screwed up, I will never buy this horrible crap again. I don't want to smell like a 16 year old zit covered pubescent boy. The smell clashes with any quality cologne, it is way too overpowering and is really unpleasant. Lost me as a customer for good. I guess they want to attract the AXE body wash boys not discerning men. Off to buy Barbasol I guess.

What’s even more nasty is their SENSITIVE foam smells just as bad if not worse than the Regular! Gillette is run by absolute morons now.

Get yourself a can of Barbasol Original, the stuff hasn’t changed and works just fine! A small golf-ball size is plenty too, add a good amount of water!

What’s even more nasty is their SENSITIVE foam smells just as bad if not worse than the Regular! Gillette is run by absolute morons now.

Get yourself a can of Barbasol Original, the stuff hasn’t changed and works just fine! A small golf-ball size is plenty too, add a good amount of water!
I have heard so many great things about Barbasol. I wish I could get it here in Europe…

It's hard to find Barbasol around here so I picked up a can of Foamy today at the dollar store for $3. I have not used it yet but now I am afraid. :eek2:

It's hard to find Barbasol around here so I picked up a can of Foamy today at the dollar store for $3. I have not used it yet but now I am afraid. :eek2:

1664243495584.png

The can I just got says 2021 on it. Is this before the change or after? I may go buy more if it's before the scent change. However, I have not tried this can yet, so I have no idea what its scent is like. :001_huh:

The new can has very large Gillette font over a pure black background. You’ll know what you have when you squirt some out, trust me ☺️

Yep, that's it and it does smell like cheap cologne to me however I don't know what the old formula smelled like. The only canned shave foam I used with cartridge razors was Barbasol or the cheap dollar store brands.

Yep, that's it and it does smell like cheap cologne to me however I don't know what the old formula smelled like. The only canned shave foam I used with cartridge razors was Barbasol or the cheap dollar store brands.

If you’ve ever smelled Fine American Blend, it’s in that territory. Kind of an older guy vibe but sweet, spicy, musky and pleasant.

Honestly, I like the scent of any and all the Barbasol canned foams over the older Gillette Foamy scent, so it’s not the end of the world for me.

lasta

Blade Biter
Did the formula change too?

Old Foamy always worked for me. For a while, I thought about finishing up my soaps and moving to canned foam exclusively!

Old Foamy always worked for me. For a while, I thought about finishing up my soaps and moving to canned foam exclusively!

The ingredients look the same but they may have made some small tweaks to it, not sure. The scent was so bad I could not bring myself to try it!

I have moved to canned foams exclusively having tired of using a brush, despite having some really nice ones that work really well. Barbasol, my favorite foam, was never good enough to protect me from even the mildest of DE’s but with a good cart, my shaves are a comfortable breeze!

And Barbasol appears to have made some minor tweaks to their excellent formulation. Their new cans are painted blue all the way to the nozzle, and although the ingredients are identical, it’s creamier and slicker than it used to be, very noticeable for me.

Two different companies, two radically different ways of treating their customers!

The change in Foamy's scent is unfortunate. I picked up a can a month or two ago, as I always keep a can on hand. After reading this thread, I gave it a spray and was greeted with the stench of its new formula. In the garbage it goes. Shame.

I posted about this on another thread, but that didn't quite satisfy me, so here I am.

I see two possible reasons for the change:

1.) Maybe it was a way of managing costs. It seems like they may have ditched the original scent to save some coin
and they just switched in the same fragrance(s) that they use in their other products.
2.) Perceived market trends

Now it has the same scent as many other shave products, soaps and shampoos.
100% generic and ho-hum.

Foamy Orignal is my favorite, and has been a long time. I think the version with the new scent works the same as it did before the change. Don't know if it's familiarity or what, but the new scent seems most "offensive" when the can is new....after several uses it seems to tone down to where the scent is pretty much unnoticeable. At least that was my experience, and I'm in the camp that wishes Gillette would have just left Foamy alone.

Top Bottom