What's new

DERBY USTA .... 10 shaves in...

The new Derby USTA has worked great for me.... Ten different razors , ten different soaps and creams....Finished shave #10 this morning , and I will retire the blade out of boredom, this blade can go several more shaves for sure. USTA is a thick, not so flexible , unbranded, unmarked DE razor blade... No idea why they chose to have a blank blade.... Any of you boys that like to really stretch a blade out will enjoy this blade in your Lillicraps's hone, it should really give you many great shaves..$10 PER 100 , shipped, hard to beat. Photo is blade after 10 shaves, each shave on a 48 hour beard....
IMG_0211.JPG
IMG_0216.JPG
IMG_0218.JPG
IMG_0219.JPG

Your photos don't show any of those execrable wax dots. Did you remove them, or were the blades mercifully free of them to start with?

Your photos don't show any of those execrable wax dots. Did you remove them, or were the blades mercifully free of them to start with?
They do have stabilizing wax, but not dots, more like an extremely thin "trail" that you can just barely feel with your fingertips. I believe my blade was wax free after the first shave....You can see it here:
IMG_0223.JPG
IMG_0222.JPG
IMG_0221.JPG
IMG_0220.JPG

The new Derby USTA has worked great for me.... Ten different razors , ten different soaps and creams....Finished shave #10 this morning , and I will retire the blade out of boredom, this blade can go several more shaves for sure. USTA is a thick, not so flexible , unbranded, unmarked DE razor blade... No idea why they chose to have a blank blade.... Any of you boys that like to really stretch a blade out will enjoy this blade in your Lillicraps's hone, it should really give you many great shaves..$10 PER 100 , shipped, hard to beat. Photo is blade after 10 shaves, each shave on a 48 hour beard....View attachment 966474 View attachment 966475 View attachment 966476 View attachment 966477

Excellent report! Glad these Derbys work so well for you!! :a29:

@malocchio Do you have any idea how thick is the blade? How is the blade chatter (or absense of it) on this thick blade? I wish modern DE blades are thicker across the brands, a thin blade in Muhle R41 is sure blood bath for me all beause of blade flexing and chatter.

Hmmm, I didn't see any wax on mine. Was your paper waxed as well? Mine was, well, less than ideal. It was like a water sponge instead of repelling water.
yes....the printed paper wrapper seems to be a waxed paper...

@malocchio Do you have any idea how thick is the blade? How is the blade chatter (or absense of it) on this thick blade? I wish modern DE blades are thicker across the brands, a thin blade in Muhle R41 is sure blood bath for me all beause of blade flexing and chatter.
I have no way of measuring it, but it is a little thicker than many blades, not as thick as the thickest, and there are very few really thick blades anymore... As for " flex " .t blade I ever used was the Gillette Blue Blades in the 60's and 70's.....Super thin and flexible, but smooth as silk....Chatter, are you speaking of audible feedback when cutting ?? In my opinion the razor head and perhaps the construction of the handle have more to do with feedback, which is not bad unless you want whisper quiet shaves..

Stacked two of the new Derby USTA blades in the reference system with splendid results. A little rough on the first strokes but quickly smoothed out, adequately sharp to deliver the shave the Shake Sharp is capable of.
IMG_20190409_092419-01.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
proxy.php

I'm still trying to make fetch happen with the USTA. It's somewhere between a regular Derby and a Voskhod for me. It's just not that good. :idk:
proxy.php

proxy.php

Reactions: nav
Is the USTA the same as the Derby Premium?

I also read that the Parker blades are re-branded Debry Premium. Is this true?

As an aside, I love all the Turkish and Russia writing that I totally do not understand on many blades, wrappers and cartons. Trying to read it feels like I'm summoning demons. Heck, that's as good an explanation for those rare and unexplained bad shaves.

Is the USTA the same as the Derby Premium?

As an aside, I love all the Turkish and Russia writing that I totally do not understand on many blades, wrappers and cartons. Trying to read it feels like I'm summoning demons. Heck, that's as good an explanation for those rare and unexplained bad shaves.

IMO, no. The Derby premium feels sharper to me. More on par with a Dorco Prime.

The USTA is probably equal in smoothness, but lower in sharpness. More on par with a mid level Non-Gillette Russian blade or a higher level Indian Super max.

FWIW, I LOVE the Turkish and Russian writing on blades. It lends an exotic air to the shave.

Using my two favorite mild razors, Stahly and RR DE1/Baili, no problem at all with sharpness including ATG on my head.
IMG_20190410_092253-01.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

My Derby Usta blades came yesterday - and they are marked with "Derby Usta" on top left and bottom right of both sides of the blade. They must have started printing them now.

Top Bottom