What's new

Derby Premium? (Derby Black)

amazon has some decent prices 25 blades plus a puck of GBS shave soap for $8, 5 blades plus soap for $5, think I'm going to try them out.

Tried in my SS Flair and got an excellent shave, thanks to TheLegalRazor generous PIF. Going to try tonight with my 58 Fat Boy. so far I'm liking them, very smooth nearly foolproof.

Have you tried Treet Durasharp Carbon Steel? I standardised on them and on Feathers literally decades ago. I buy the Treets in batches of 400 from Connaught Shaving - which works out at about €0.06 per shave if you only use them once. I tend to chuck 'em after one shave because at that price I can't be bothered to take them out of the razor and dry them. But I have done so very successfully taking them out and flipping them over for both a Feather ASD2 and a Gillette Black beauty...

I was thinking of trying some Treets. How would you rate your beard growth? Light, medium, dense, coarse. etc?
I have a coarse beard and in areas like the sides of the jaw and neck, it's so dense that I have to buff about 10x each area on the pickup pass and still hear some audio feedback on those last strokes! I usually get my best shaves from GSB's, Polsilver SI's, Wilkinson's and the 7'O'Clock green and yellow packs.

I assume you're throwing away the blades to avoid rust in those stainless steel razors.

Well I had a 4th very comfortable shave with the Derby Premium. I can only say for me they turned out to be a real surprise. As ever YMMV like most blades they will suit some and not others. For me they are a worthwhile investment.

Would you say you have a heavy beard growth or light? That's the most important item in blade reviews, IMHO.

I was thinking of trying some Treets. How would you rate your beard growth? Light, medium, dense, coarse. etc?
I have a coarse beard and in areas like the sides of the jaw and neck, it's so dense that I have to buff about 10x each area on the pickup pass and still hear some audio feedback on those last strokes! I usually get my best shaves from GSB's, Polsilver SI's, Wilkinson's and the 7'O'Clock green and yellow packs.

I assume you're throwing away the blades to avoid rust in those stainless steel razors.

Would you say you have a heavy beard growth or light? That's the most important item in blade reviews, IMHO.

I shave my face twice a day as my five o'clock shadow starts at 12.01 PM. Reasonably coarse I suppose.
I shave my head once a day.

Yes I get rid of them because they rust easily and at that price I can't be bothered to dry them.

I got my 50 Derby Premiums, but it's going to be quite a while before I get to try them. Probably July or so at this rate.

Peter

I got my 50 Derby Premiums, but it's going to be quite a while before I get to try them. Probably July or so at this rate. Peter

Why? I rotate blades all the time. I have three razors and different blades in each one. When I just had my EJ89L, I'd use an Astra SP for 4 shaves and then switch to a different brand for 4-5 shaves.

I shave my face twice a day as my five o'clock shadow starts at 12.01 PM. Reasonably coarse I suppose.

Twice a day, everyday?! Wow! The only times I've shaved 2x a day is if I had a date in the evening.

I agree completely the prices are ludicrous for small quantities, if I'm going to buy any it'll be in bulk - they get quite reasonable on a per-blade basis if you buy 200 of them but who wants 195 blades you can't abide? And as a matter of principle I never PIF or do pass arounds of stuff I don't like or wouldn't use so I'd be stuck with the damned things. Hence this posting.

Just because you don't like them doesn't mean someone else wouldn't love to have them. For me, the Derby Extra is a perfectly serviceable DE razor blade.

No, it's not the best blade I have but, I also have no issue using them so far. Actually, I prefer them to the Merkur blades I had in the past but, generally I'm not overly picky about razor blades. Will I buy more? Probably not unless they are dirt cheap again because the Russian blades everyone talks about are ~$10 delivered so, if they work out for me why spend the extra $$$ on more expensive blades.

Lol, I have four blades in rotation at the moment, and will not be done with them until late May, probably, including the "one blade in February" challange I have planned to use a Nacet for. It would appear that unless something drastic happens, I will be getting between 35 and 40 shaves on each blade, gonna take a while to get there. I don't want to put another blade in the rotation since I'm already four months out on finishing what I have going.

Peter

Lol, I have four blades in rotation at the moment, and will not be done with them until late May, probably, including the "one blade in February" challange I have planned to use a Nacet for. It would appear that unless something drastic happens, I will be getting between 35 and 40 shaves on each blade, gonna take a while to get there. I don't want to put another blade in the rotation since I'm already four months out on finishing what I have going.Peter

35-40 shaves per blade?! Do you take only 1 or 2 pass shaves? The closest I've come to that is 20 shaves with a Wilkinson Sword, but most other brands are 4-5 shaves per blade.

I've worked my shave down to one ATG pass with cleanups (not much of that with sharp blades), occasionally 2 passes when the blade gets toward the end of it's life.

DFS to BBS.

Shallow angle, very light pressure, "nibble" my chin with very very short overlapping strokes.

May or may not work for you, I have a pretty sparse but wiry beard and have always gotten lots of shaves on any blade or cartridge.

Peter

Just because you don't like them doesn't mean someone else wouldn't love to have them. For me, the Derby Extra is a perfectly serviceable DE razor blade.

No, it's not the best blade I have but, I also have no issue using them so far. Actually, I prefer them to the Merkur blades I had in the past but, generally I'm not overly picky about razor blades. Will I buy more? Probably not unless they are dirt cheap again because the Russian blades everyone talks about are ~$10 delivered so, if they work out for me why spend the extra $$$ on more expensive blades.

As I remarked above: as a matter of principle I never PIF or do pass arounds of stuff I don't like or wouldn't use

I won't pass on stuff I consider inferior to others it's a matter of ethics as far as I'm concerned.

As I remarked above: as a matter of principle I never PIF or do pass arounds of stuff I don't like or wouldn't use

I won't pass on stuff I consider inferior to others it's a matter of ethics as far as I'm concerned.

I respect your position. However, I have received stuff from a friend who did not like what he had and I was thrilled with it. I'm not trying to encourage you to give or PIF a truly bad product but, just because I don't like something doesn't mean another might not be thrilled to receive it.

I'm honest and upfront so, no sneaking a 12 year old can of beets into the soup kitchen or homeless food pantry. I'm just trying to point out that sometimes personal opinion may outweigh the actual item in question or differences in a persons beard, skin, etc. might make a product bad for one person and great for a different person.

Derby Extra blades are one where they work for me but, not for many in this forum.

Last edited:
I've worked my shave down to one ATG pass with cleanups (not much of that with sharp blades), occasionally 2 passes when the blade gets toward the end of it's life.

DFS to BBS.

Shallow angle, very light pressure, "nibble" my chin with very very short overlapping strokes.

May or may not work for you, I have a pretty sparse but wiry beard and have always gotten lots of shaves on any blade or cartridge.Peter

The only way I could see getting away with 1 pass + touch ups is for a quick shave for a night time excursion after shaving in the morning. I may have written it on this forum and I've mentioned it in several comments to Youtube shaving videos, but I need to buff the sides of my jaw, my jawline and the middle of my neck about 5 to 10 times in each area during my touch up pass after a 3 pass shave. I'm one of those guys that has to lather down to the collarbone as I have little hairs growing all the way down the neck. Guys likeme who have copious amounts of body hair usually have to deal with this situation. I have to shave the bridge of my nose and also have a number of small hairs that grow on the top of my cheekbones and to the sides of my eyes. I also have to do plenty of work to clear the area directly under the nostrils.

Although there are some guys with thicker beards who have 5 O'Clock shadow a few hours after shaving, my stubble is coarse and dense, especially after a day and a half. That's why I always ask what the kind of growth one has when giving blade reviews.

Both the density of the hair and the diameter of the individual hairs will make a difference on how the blade works for you. I do find that mapping out the direction of the hair and shaving as much ATG as I can everywhere on that first pass makes a difference, allowing a mostly one pass shave for me. Pretty sparse beard, though. Needless to say, I shave in lots of different directions in that pass, not just one.

Type of beard is a good thing to put in blade reviews -- I also look for information on technique and similar number of shaves, too. If someone gets a large number of shaves per blade, it's more likely my experience will be similar, and if the reviewer cannot get more than a few, it's likely my experience with the blade will be less similar.

Everyone's face is different.

Peter

Would you say you have a heavy beard growth or light? That's the most important item in blade reviews, IMHO.[/QUOTE]

I would say I have a heavy thick beard combined with very sensitive skin especially on my neck. Using these Derby Premiums I continue to get smooth close and comfortable shaves without irritation.

These things kick butt. Smooth BBS shave, no irritation. Way better than regular derby's.

I would say I have a heavy thick beard combined with very sensitive skin especially on my neck. Using these Derby Premiums I continue to get smooth close and comfortable shaves without irritation.

Interesting. Good to know. I may have to order a 100 pack (Derby's are usually so cheap that it doesn't pay to just order a pack. If it turns out I don't like them, a pack given to a friend here and there makes me look like some sport!

This is the only blade which allows me to shave against the grain to achieve a fully comfortable, irritation free BBS.

I would also like to add that they shave much better in my Merkur 23c, as opposed to my '66 Gillette Slim Adjustable (on settings 3-7).

This is the only blade which allows me to shave against the grain to achieve a fully comfortable, irritation free BBS.

I would also like to add that they shave much better in my Merkur 23c, as opposed to my '66 Gillette Slim Adjustable (on settings 3-7).
I'm currently trying one of these blades in a Merkur 20C and had my 7th full-face, 2-pass shave with it this morning!! And the blade feels like it's got another 2 - 3 shaves to go!! Does like the milder razors.

Used one for the first time in a Charcoal Goods lvl 3 open comb. Very sharp and very smooth. These are the real deal for me.
Also noticed on the package that they have a tungsten coating.

Top Bottom