What's new

Demystifying Sunscreens and SPF

Demystifying Sunscreens and SPF

SUNSCREEN

Sunscreen is a chemical agent that provides either a physical blocker or chemical filter from the sun’s ultraviolet radiation (UVR), thus providing some protection against sunburn.

The following terms are often used interchangeably: sun screen, sun block, sun tan lotion, sun cream or block out
Sunscreens can be in the form of a lotion, spray, gel or other topical product.

Sunscreens contain one or more of the following ingredients:
  • Organic chemical compounds that absorb ultraviolet light.
  • Inorganic particulates that primarily reflect and scatter UV light (such as titanium oxide, zinc oxide) and also absorb some UVR.
  • Organic particulates – act mostly like organic chemical compounds in absorbing light but may reflect and scatter a fraction of light like inorganic particulates.

Depending on the mode of action sunscreens can be classified into:
Physical sunscreens (i.e., those that block and reflect the sunlight); or
Chemical sunscreens (i.e., those that filter and absorb the UV light).

Physical blockers

Sunscreens (often known as “sun block” ) containing physical blockers which often create a visible layer of sunscreen on skin. Typical ingredients are titanium dioxide and zinc oxide, which work in two ways:

1. Reflects the UVR as it reaches the skin.
2. Absorbs some UVR at a specific wavelength and converts it into heat energy.

Unlike the organic agents used in many sunscreens, these metal oxides do not degrade with exposure to sunlight.

Chemical filters

Chemical filters work by absorbing the UVR as it reaches your skin, and then counteracts the UVR to reduce damage.

Why use sunscreen?

Sunscreen helps to protect skin from harmful UVR and therefore reduce the risk of developing skin cancers (squamous cell carcinoma, basal cell carcinoma, melanoma) and skin damage (including premature ageing, solar keratoses and photodermatitis)

The level of protection afforded by sunscreen can vary due to factors including genetics, existing skin damage and skin type. For this reason sunscreen should not be regarded as the sole form of sun protection, but rather as the last line of defence against the sun’s harmful UV rays.

How to apply sunscreen

Sunscreen should be applied to clean, dry skin at least 20 minutes before going outside. This gives the protective elements in sunscreen time to bond to skin.

Apply according to directions on the product. Usually a large amount is not required (a rough guide suggests approximately one teaspoon per limb). The key factor is that the area is fully covered.

It is important to keep a thin film of sunscreen on your skin to maximise its effectiveness, so resist the temptation to rub it all in.

Sunscreen should be re-applied every two hours, or more frequently if you are sweating, swimming or it has been wiped or rubbed off.

What does SPF mean?

SPF stands for ‘Sun Protection Factor’, a
laboratory measure of the effectiveness of sunscreen — the higher the SPF, the more protection a sunscreen offers against UV-B (the ultraviolet radiation that causes sunburn).

Please note that (contrary to widespread belief) wearing SPF 15 does NOT mean that you can stay 15 times longer in the sun before getting burned.

Also doubling the SPF level does not indicate double protection. A sunscreen with an SPF 30+ rating only provides a small percentage increase in the amount of protection given by an SPF15+.

The guidelines for applying sunscreen do not change with the SPF rating.

SPF is not the sole determining factor of protection offered. In practice, the protection from a particular sunscreen depends on factors such as:

• The skin type of the user.
  • The amount applied and frequency of re-application.
  • Activities in which one engages (for example, swimming leads to a loss of sunscreen from the skin).
  • Amount of sunscreen the skin has absorbed.

The SPF is an imperfect measure of skin damage because invisible damage and skin aging are also caused by ultraviolet type A (UVA) which does not cause reddening or pain.

Conventional sunscreen blocks very little UVA radiation relative to the nominal SPF; broad-spectrum sunscreens are designed to protect against both UVB and UVA.

UVA also causes DNA damage to cells deep within the skin, increasing the risk of malignant melanomas.

Even some products labeled "broad-spectrum UVA/UVB protection" do not provide good protection against UVA rays. The best UVA protection is provided by zinc oxide based physical blockers.

Owing to consumer confusion over the real degree and duration of protection offered, labeling restrictions are in force in many countries. In the European Union sunscreen labels can only go up to SPF 50+ (actually indicating a SPF of 60 or higher). In Australia the upper limit is 30+. The United States does not have mandatory, comprehensive sunscreen standards.

Which sunscreen should I use?

As noted above, many sunscreens do not block UVA radiation, which does not cause sunburn but can increase the rate of melanoma and photodermatitis, so people using sunscreens may be exposed to high UVA levels without realizing it.

The use of broad-spectrum (UVA/UVB) sunscreens can address this concern.

When choosing a sunscreen look for the following:

• Sun Protection Factor (SPF) of 30+.
• Broad spectrum (protects against UVA and UVB).
• Water resistant.

Using an SPF30+ sunscreen means you are protected from approximately 96.7 per cent of UVR and getting a very good level of protection.

Price is not a good indicator regarding the suitability of a sunscreen product.

Water resistant sunscreen

Water resistant sunscreen contains ingredients to help continue to protect your skin when immersed in water. To ensure ongoing protection from these sunscreens, it is vital to reapply after swimming or perspiring, i.e. during sporting activities, outdoor work sites, swimming or gardening.

But what about my Vitamin “D”?

It’s true that the use of sunscreen does interferes with vitamin D production.

Doctors recommend spending small amounts of time in the sun without sun protection to ensure adequate production of vitamin D

Daily conditions all year in tropical climates, or in spring and summer seasons in temperate regions are such that adequate amounts of vitamin D[SUB]3[/SUB] can be made in the skin after only ten to fifteen minutes of sun exposure at least two times per week to the face, arms, hands, or back without sunscreen.
With longer exposure to UVB rays, an equilibrium is achieved in the skin, and the vitamin simply degrades as fast as it is generated.

Do sunscreens have a ‘use by’ date?

Yes. Over time chemical components contained in sunscreen will break down, reducing the protection level indicated on the label. To maximise the life of your sunscreen (approximately three years), it is essential to store it in a cool place (below 30°C) and regularly check the expiry date if one is printed on the packaging.

Given the type of activities we are normally engaged in when sunscreen might be required it’s quite likely that your sunscreen isn’t stored in ideal conditions (e.g. in a hot vehicle) so be aware of the consequences of that.

Additives to sunscreen

A number of sunscreens have substances to help the skin to darken or tan, however these additives do not provide additional protection from UV rays.

Cosmetics containing sunscreen

Many make-up and cosmetic products include an SPF rating on the label. This means that chemicals have been added to the base products to provide sun protection. These products are subject to the same testing procedures as any sunscreen; however it is important to note that some may not be broad spectrum or water resistant. Remember too that make-up and cosmetics are rarely reapplied every two hours.

Sunscreen and babies

Infants, particularly under the age of two years, should be kept out of the
sun as much as possible and should always be protected from any sun exposure by using a number of SunSmart behaviours including protective clothing, hats, and shade.

When these forms of sun protection are not adequate, sunscreen can be used. Sunscreen can be applied to the small areas of the skin which are not covered by clothing such as the face and back of the hands and neck.

There is no evidence to suggest that the use of sunscreen on infants and children is
harmful to their skin or has any adverse long-term side effects.

Always try new sunscreen on a small area of skin first to make sure there is no reaction. If your child does have a reaction, try using another variety of sunscreen with a different active ingredient.

How much protection is offered by clothing ?

The protections offered by clothing can also be expressed as SPF, as follows:

Nylon Stockings: SPF 2
Hats: SPF 3-6
Summer-weight clothing: SPF 6.5
Sun-protective clothing: up to SPF 30

Be SunSmart!

Don’t rely on the sunscreen to protect your skin for extended periods of time. The use of sunscreen is recommended as an addition to the other SunSmart strategies.

Nor should you deliberately increase your amount of time in the sun because you have applied sunscreen.

For the best sun protection from the sun, ALWAYS:

1. Slip on protective clothing / swimwear.
2. Slop on SPF 30+sunscreen. Reapply every two hours.
3. Slap on a broad-brimmed hat.
4. Seek shade and limit exposure between 10am and 3pm.
5. Slide on wrap-around sunglasses.

Sources:
I have consulted the websites of, and material distributed by, the following organisations in the collation of this article. In some cases I have reproduced certain paragraphs in full (e.g. the SunSmart campaign from Australia). I am sure that their primary interest is in protecting people from sun damage and that they would have no objections to my doing so, however it’s important to note that the article as presented is not specifically endorsed by any of these organisations.

Thank you to: The Cancer Council of Queensland, American Cancer Society, Skin Cancer Foundation, Australian Government Department of Health and Ageing. US Food and Drug Administration, Wikipedia, Physics.org

Remember: Slip. Slop, Slap, Seek and Slide.

Interesting write up! Well done. Thanks.

I've been researching sunscreens a lot recently myself. One of the interesting things that kept popping up.... Apparently the ozone layer over Australia is much thinner than the average leading to Australia being one of the worlds leading regions of sunscreen development.....

One of the additional factor provided in many higher end sunscreens are skin nourishing components and oils.

The one I recently ordered was the clear formula from Beyond Coastal. We won't see the sun for a few more weeks but once we do I'll report back my impressions.

Ken

ALWAYS use sunscreen. lots of it, often.
my fiancee is learning this the hard way. in the last month, she's had 5 cancerous spots removed. from her face, leg, midsection.
i always load my kids up with sunscreen.
It's Always Sunny in Tampa Bay!

Went to the store the other day and saw a bunch of SPF 50+ for half off. Needless to say a I stocked up on a few of them.

Thanks, for the reminder.

Great. I was hoping some people found this article of use.
Do you think it might be useful thing to include in the wiki somewhere? Who would I talk t about that.

As for the ozone; yes we are ozone deprived down here. I blame the 1970's housewives love of the pressure pack insect sprays!
Or maybe the fact the heat means there was lot of car aircons with the od gas..
Or maybe its just all the hot air from Al Gore's speeches drifting this way.

Whatever the case, yes we have higher than average rates of melanoma and so forth from UV exposure. So sunscreen and SunSmart campaigns are on the national agenda.

Good write up. I like the 5 S's at the end. Sun protection is so important, and I find most people are not fully educated on the subject.

Thanks for the write up.

Well written and very informative.

It is going to help when I purchase my Spring/Summer supply for 2012.

Last edited:
This should really be included in the wiki, or at least stickied at the top. I think A LOT of people underestimate the effects of the sun on their skin. Working in retail skin care, I see many, many women who tanned in their youth and look 10-15 years older than they really are.

Also, to reiterate a point from above, be sure your spf-containing product is in opaque (not clear) packaging, and is kept out of sun light (I put mine under my sink). The sunscreen is useless if it has been sitting in the sun for days or weeks on end.

Last edited:
...I think A LOT of people underestimate the effects of the sun on their skin. Working in retail skin care, I see many, many women who tanned in their youth and look 10-15 years older than they really are...

Sadly I run into women who I grew up with on occasions.

They were big sun worshipers in their youth.

And yes they look 10-15 years older.

It is frightening to see them now.

Good info. I did a lot of reading on sunscreens last year and questioned a lot that I found, but enough to somewhat alter my choices in sunscreen. One of the things that I always wondered was when we use a chemical sunscreen i.e. oxybenzone, octinoxate, octisalate, etc., what happens to the UV energy that these compounds absorb? Because they are absorbing the energy, versus blocking. It seems that sunscreens do not need any type of approval in the U.S. and there is a lot of question about the safety of many of these. I won't go into all of the supposed ill health effects, and I won't back them either. It could all be bad internet propaganda for all I know, but it made me think and made me consider and buy an organic sunscreen containing zinc and titanium. There are many available that do rub in and disappear and they work. Just my $.02....

BTW, the only problem I have with sunscreen is it will mix with sweat then get in my eyes a few hours after I put it on.

Stinks like hell.

Any suggestions on a brand(s) that don't do this.

BTW, the only problem I have with sunscreen is it will mix with sweat then get in my eyes a few hours after I put it on.

Stinks like hell.

Any suggestions on a brand(s) that don't do this.
as a Florida resident, I have a LOT of experience with sunscreen. I've yet to come across one that doesnt sting...but i'm not sure if its the sunscreen or the sweat that is stinging. If its the sunscreen...well at least my corneas are getting sunscreen on them!

...well at least my corneas are getting sunscreen on them!

Haha! No need for sunglasses!

As to not wanting sunscreen in your eyes, I don't know your exact situation, but I find wearing a full brim hat will allow me to not put sunscreen on my forehead. Now if you are swimming or something, that won't work.

I've never had the problem you describe. I find though that I gnerally use one of the thicker products (like clotted cream) rather than something of milky consistency.

Note: Do not use actual clotted cream or you will run out of friends about a day in.... :D

I would recommend the Mexitan sunscreens (or Dr Mercola which is manufactured by Mexitan). They have no nasty chemicals and are quite effective.

My dermatalogist recommends sunscreen with a high percentage of Zinc Oxide. Currently reside in a location with continual high uv -- recommend CVS with zinc oxide 45+ Sunscreen.

Thanks for the reminder. As I have a pool its can be easy to forget how long the kids and grandkids have been in the sun. I have one grandson for whom sun screen is never enough protection. A t-shirt, in addition to sun screen, is also required to keep him safe. Remember, dark or bright colors, like red or black, absorb more UVR than white or pastel shades, stopping the rays before they reach the skin. The more intense the hue, the better the UV defense.

I don;t know about over there but here you can get sun smart clothing esp for kids - made of material that is particularly good at blocking UV.

Top Bottom