What's new

Degreasing Mystery Stones

Simple Green seems to be the most commonly used degreaser for mystery stones. Recently, I bought a bottle of this Dawn Professional degreaser and it works much faster and does a better job.

Here are a couple of stones I wetted down with it tonight and the goo literally started melting off.

This stuff is very different than Dawn dish soap, they are completely different products.

Passing the results along, it is worth a try.

The mystery stone reveal will be in the mystery stone thread.

DABF6646-BD7B-4F5F-820C-BF70F3F5CD67.jpeg

Yes, that is good stuff, can be hard to find. It is hard on the eyes and you don’t want to breath it, is strong. I buy the gallon container from Lowes in the paint department.

For long term soaking I still use Simple Green or Awesome. Years of oil use will get deep into a stone and can take weeks to fully remove.

So are you only trying to clean the outside? Most use the SG bath to help leach out old oil/swarf from within the stone just as much as the surface.

No, I put them in a heated ultrasonic cleaner that runs at 150F. Most stones clean up in a day or two.
For the first few cycles, I use a degreaser, then flip over to just a heavy dose of dish soap and water, changing the water when it is dirty.

Boy, the edit function is short. 🤪

Add - I try to clean off as much as possible initially in the sink, then they go in the ultrasonic cleaner.

Top Bottom