What's new

Deepening handle

I want to deepen a 24 mm handle a few mm. I have a Harbor Freight Dremel knock off and a good portable drill. I don't have a drill press and want to make do with what I have. What's the best way to do this? If it's with the Dremel, what specific bit should I use ? Thanks

Mike H

Instagram Famous
Here is how I do it, I am sure there are other, even better methods...
Hand Drill a hole to the desired depth with a large drill bit. Using a small sanding drum, enlarge the hole flush with the sides.

I do it similar to Mike, I start the hole though with a small drill bit, 1/16th or so and then progress up by about 2 sizes per round until I have it the size of the sanding drum and then same thing, sand around until it is flush with the sides. Then hand sand the sides evenly with fine grit paper.

Hope to see your progress in pics when you get started.

Another method is to use a Fostner bit, but it requires a drill or even better, a drill press. Harbor Freight wells a 7 piece knock off set for about $10.00 if my memory serves me correctly. A 1" bit is 25.4 mm, about a perfect size for a 24 mm knot. A 7/8" bit is 22.2 mm and a Dremel drum sander would open it up the rest of the way.

I have had no trouble doing this with a hand held electric drill and holding the handle in the other hand. I have doe this both to open up a handle for a larger knot (although most if the time I just use a drum sander) and to make a hole deeper in the handle.

Top Bottom