What's new

Declaration Grooming Knot Differences?

Can anyone walk me through the knot differences are for what these guys offer? I see so many names, I have no clue what they mean.

Thanks!
Bobby

All the brushes are sold out. The only way to get one right now is to buy the knotting service and send them a handle. I have a b7 and b8 and love them. Currently they offer b8 and two types of b9. I don’t have a b9 to compare but these knots have proved to be great over time.

All the brushes are sold out. The only way to get one right now is to buy the knotting service and send them a handle. I have a b7 and b8 and love them. Currently they offer b8 and two types of b9. I don’t have a b9 to compare but these knots have proved to be great over time.

Yes, I don’t plan on buying a handle... just the knot.

My question was what are the differences in knots. How did you know the difference between B7 and B8? What’s the difference from B8 and B9 and the second B9. The little detail under description isn’t enough for me to know which one to buy.

Anyway, seems silly to buy blind. Unless the b mean “batch” and the knots are all tied very similar just the batch numbers are different (with some minor variation that aren’t worth noting such as small amounts of backbone or softness). But I don’t think that’s it.

My question was what are the differences in knots. How did you know the difference between B7 and B8? What’s the difference from B8 and B9 and the second B9. The little detail under description isn’t enough for me to know which one to buy.

Anyway, seems silly to buy blind. Unless the b mean “batch” and the knots are all tied very similar just the batch numbers are different (with some minor variation that aren’t worth noting such as small amounts of backbone or softness). But I don’t think that’s it.
The differences is each knot seems to be based on the user's experience. Personally, I haven't used any Declaration brushes but I did hear a lot about each batch. Here's what I got so far.

B1 - the golden knot. I hear it's the most desired.
B2 - No idea
B3 - The scritchiest knot
B4 - No idea
B5 - I hear it's pretty good.
B6 - One of the better batches that are still common
... and so forth. That's all I know so far.

Can anyone walk me through the knot differences are for what these guys offer? I see so many names, I have no clue what they mean.

Thanks!
Bobby

There's a comparison thread on a popular website, just google for:
Declaration Batch Ranking Results

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
There's a comparison thread on a popular website, just google for:
Declaration Batch Ranking Results

I read that, but I'd bet people on B&B could expand on it, and its meaning, and give us more specific, more useful information than what I see in the survey.

Happy shaves,

Jim

They're all great knots. Out of the batches that are still available for knotting, B8 is fairly soft and mine became very gelly after breaking in. B9 Alpha is supposed to be similar to B4, which is a well-balanced knot that isn't particularly great at any one thing, but isn't lacking in any way either. B9 Bravo is supposed to be the exact same hair that a lot of knot retailers are billing as "SHD Gel Tip" these days. The benefit of getting a knot like this from Declaration is that Scott will actually hand-tie the knot and set it perfectly for you in your handle of choice.

I've only tried the B3 - I bought one used recently. Initially it was very stiff and pointy tips. After a few weeks of breakin it has softened up considerably and is a very dense and well made knot. This is exactly the type of knot that I like. Similar to the old Rooney and Plisson top of the line hair. If you like a soft puffball like a Kent then this is not a good choice. If you like backbone and some scritch, it's great.

I just received a B11 knot the other day. It was supposed to be a B9A knotting service, but Scott was running low and I was fine with the switch. I don’t have much to compare it to, but I’m glad this little hiccup happened; I love this knot. B9A was super functional but almost no gel. B10 was a bit too far in the gel direction. This B11 has a nice amount of gel and has a great face-feel and flow-through. Looking forward to using it more.

I really like DG’s soaps, but I never go as far as trying one of his brushes. Once I tried a Paladin, I stopped looking at all other brush brands. Five Paladins later......

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I really like DG’s soaps, but I never go as far as trying one of his brushes. Once I tried a Paladin, I stopped looking at all other brush brands. Five Paladins later......
You see the batch numbers associated with gd. How would you compare all that confusion to paladin. Is one just as good as another? Any tips for a first time buyer? Thx in advance 😁

Top Bottom