What's new

DE vs. Straight Razors

The techniques are very different indeed generally speaking since the blade on a DE is perpendicular to the handle whereas on a straight the handle is in essence on the same line as the blade. When it comes to skin stretching, you do not usually do that when DE shaving partly because the guard bar located between the blade and the handle does that for you.

Now all we need is someone to shave half their face normally with a DE and then on the other side hand stretch the skin and use the same DE. Could help determine if there is something to a straight giving a closer shave.

That is an idea, which I might try some time soon, sounds fun! Either that or I could try one half with a DE and then the other half with a shavette using the same kind of blade.

I've been shaving with a DE for a couple of years now. I shave affair the grain and stretch my skin, similar to what I've seen some fire a straight shave.

I'm certainly intrigued by a straight, though.

I use a Merkur 34C as my go to DE, loaded up with feather blades. I get some nicks here and there at times. I recently got a new DE (that I don't like) that came with 6 o'clock blades that aren't as sharp, but seem to produce a good shave in the 34C.

Anyway, I guess I need to read more about Straight blade options and maybe give one a try...? This thread hasn't convinced me yet, but maybe I'm leaning closer to giving it a go........

I can't use straights with my skin/hair because I need the teflon coating of the DE blades. Straights stick to me.

I just spent a bit of time reviewing people shaving with a straight razor. Pretty interesting, but one thing I've found interesting is that they all seem to do a first and second pass...Yet with the DE I only ever do one pass. Maybe one of the differences that make people think that the Straight is a better shave is because they do it twice, yet DE shavers rarely do? I'm going to shave with my DE similar to what I saw with the Straight shave and see if it improves my experience. My DE is pretty BBS in general, but maybe I can get even closer with it?

I just spent a bit of time reviewing people shaving with a straight razor. Pretty interesting, but one thing I've found interesting is that they all seem to do a first and second pass...Yet with the DE I only ever do one pass. Maybe one of the differences that make people think that the Straight is a better shave is because they do it twice, yet DE shavers rarely do? I'm going to shave with my DE similar to what I saw with the Straight shave and see if it improves my experience. My DE is pretty BBS in general, but maybe I can get even closer with it?
If you can do 1 pass with a DE and get a BBS, then I salute you. I'm a 3-4 pass man myself.

If you can do 1 pass with a DE and get a BBS, then I salute you. I'm a 3-4 pass man myself.

Really? Interesting...Maybe I don't give my setup as much credit as it deserves then...I go completely against the grain, which helps tremendously. If I go with the grain I can see having to do a bunch of passes to get as close as I want.

I see you are an SE fan? I've never tried one of those...Perhaps I should give that a whirl...Assuming they use the same blades, just hold them differently, right?

With my Muhle r41, I can get a BBS in one pass. But multiple passes are fun.

My favorite is a pre-war Gillette Tech with triangle lather slots.

Here's me using it, and getting craft on my neck - where the hair grows 347 different directions.

Really? Interesting...Maybe I don't give my setup as much credit as it deserves then...I go completely against the grain, which helps tremendously. If I go with the grain I can see having to do a bunch of passes to get as close as I want.

I see you are an SE fan? I've never tried one of those...Perhaps I should give that a whirl...Assuming they use the same blades, just hold them differently, right?

The comb or safety bar flattens your skin in front of the cutting blade. This creates a near perfect surface for the blade to work on. Straights don't have this feature. We have to create the flattest surface we can manage, and shave with a real light touch, or there will be blood. So multiple light passes get the job done.

My DE shaves are much better than my straight blade shaves regardless of who honed my blades. There are just certain things you can do with a DE that are almost impossible with the straight. I like the straight when I need to get a lot of growth off quickly but almost always go to a DE when I want a smoother shave.

I do 2 passes with my straight with what use to take me 3 with my DE. I have been straight shaving for 3 years or so and my neck has never looked clearer. I get best results from waiting a day or two in between and then mowing it down.

I used straights for a time and got great shaves. Shaving with a straight is definitely old school and manly!!

The problem is that, for me, there was simply a bit too much maintainence etc. with straights. I get very similar shaves with DE with less muss and fuss. That’s what works for me these days.

Straights?!?!?

78853B4E-5BA4-4323-80E0-8D7B84B37D5E.jpeg

I'm five or so weeks into using a SR. I'm rethinking the need for ATG shaving on my face. I do go WTG and ATG on my neck. For me a couple of passes WTG on my face with cleanup XTG provides a similar result that I got from 1930 through mid '60's DE razors. I can still get a better result with GEM MMOC and E type Schick injector razors.

Using a SR is a different hobby. It is not just about shaving, but taking a piece of metal, developing it, and bringing it to a place where it can be used to shave. I have had no better satisfaction than finding a nice dull vintage razor, setting the bevel , then using it to shave. I do have to strop it on firehose linen and horse hide before using.

Straights?!?!?

LOL... You'll never know unless you try, but that picture describes me very well, that is before I started using straights (except a lot less cute of course) :D :D

It's a lot easier than I ever dreamed it would be, don't let these old timers scare you :D.
Straights have certain level of forgiveness to them, significantly more than I anticipated.

I find the same with SE vs. DE (haven't tried a straight yet). My DEs leave me with 5 o'clock roughage(from the night before to around 9 AM), my SE shaves are still "clean" well into the afternoon.

My suspicion is that you have fairly extensive exfoliation by the blade with a well honed straight, and especially the comparatively thinner edges on SE safeties, whereas the DE is more a superficial worker.
I agree ,a straight shave seems to be closer a couple of hours after completed,i suspect thats to do with exfoliation and re growth

I want to be a straight razor guy, but my internal voice has so far held me back.

I suspect that straights vs. DE is like cigars vs. pipe.

Pipes are...fussy. You have to fidget with them. Cajole them. And then there's all that unnecessary variety in "flavors". Cigars, you just light it up and you're good to go.

...Using a SR is a different hobby. It is not just about shaving, but taking a piece of metal, developing it, and bringing it to a place where it can be used to shave. I have had no better satisfaction than finding a nice dull vintage razor, setting the bevel , then using it to shave. I do have to strop it on firehose linen and horse hide before using.

+1! SR is like having a wooden boat!! :a21::a21:

Top Bottom