What's new

DE vs. Straight Razors

The Feathers gives me the closet shave when I use a DE, but when I use a straight it's always close and long lasting. With a straight razor I can chose what angle to use without limitations. I tend to stretch the skin more when using a straight and this helps gets a closer shave.

Not saying anything bad about DE razors because I still use them and love them.

Have fun shaving:001_tt1:

I got a straight a few weeks back and did a pretty good job of hacking up my face. It's my fault- I did not prep correctly and I didn't give the razor the respect I should have. I'll go back to giving it a try in the future- for now I'm happy with my de.

I got a straight a few weeks back and did a pretty good job of hacking up my face. It's my fault- I did not prep correctly and I didn't give the razor the respect I should have. I'll go back to giving it a try in the future- for now I'm happy with my de.

The learning curve can be nerve wrecking, but don't give up. There is a lot to learn, how to use, maintain ect , but it is rewarding at the end.

I seem to be doing pretty well with the straight shaving technique. It's the blade maintenance that's got me reaching for the DE again. Seems like the more I strop the duller I make the razor. If I can ever learn to keep the blade sharp I'll probably stick with the straight.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Then you're saying I'd understand *your opinion* if I used one myself. OK. My opinion is that doesn't make sense. No worries, mate, just curious about why you thought it for some reason lasted longer.

A BBS shave with a sharp straight lasts longer for me too.

For me-----no! I like straights just for fun and for the 'cool factor', but for a simple, quick, very close, comfortable, easy shave, I'll use my DE hands down.

Having used a straight razor about 20 times now, my appreciation for DEs has grown! No wonder they became so popular all that time ago.

There's something satisfying about using a straight, but it will take a long time to develop the technique to match what is possible with a good DE technique. I will keep using straights once a week or so, but for the satisfaction and variety, not for the closeness.

You can count me as another skeptic that a straight shave lasts longer than a DE shave. I don't doubt the sincerity of people who believe that, but it could be their straight technique is just better than their DE technique! Without an explanation, I'm not convinced. (And I'm not having a go: many of our beliefs in shaving are not based on fact.)

I agree completely with all that, exactly!! I don't think a shave can 'last longer' because of the type of blade that shaved the whiskers---they'll grow as fast as they always did, weather you used an electric or a straight. But if you somehow got them shorter or closer using one razor or another, that's another story.

Straights demand a lot more effort on your part and require a lot more involvement/commitment, not just in the shaving end but in the maintenance side as well. You just can't sick them under running water, give em a shake or two, and shove them off somewhere to dry (well you can but you won't be shaving with it very long if you do).

DE is for those who don't want the added "fun/work" associated with owning something that requires more than a few minutes of thought once a day.

I suppose you could equate it with owning a Camry or a nice old XK-E as your daily driver. Both will get you where you want to go but the E type is going to keep you busy when your smiling face is not behind the wheel.

It takes me 5 minutes for a 2 pass straight shave, and 25 minutes for the prep, clean up and razor maintenance. I get a closer shave than I've ever gotten from a DE.

For me, I can't go ATG with my Slim, but I can with a straight razor since it seems to ignore hair growth patterns. That along is wonderful for me. I suck with both, and have given much blood to the Shave Gods.. so I guess that falls under the previously mentioned "slicing" vs "shaving." Then again, even if I can't get as close yet, I do certainly enjoy the feeling of shaving with a straight more than a DE due to all the sounds, feedback, etc.

I think you can get a great shave with either a DE or a straight. There is something more about a straight razor shave that makes it attractive. It is a connection back further in time that a SE or DE. There is some more work involved with a straight, at a minimum you must strop with something, even if you send them off to be honed. I have never liked to be tied to one way of doing things so I just shave with whatever suits me in the morning (Straight, DE or SE). Adding new razors also seems to keep me interested. Wet shaving has turned something I had to do into something I want to do. What is best for one will not be best for everyone. I have heard that a straight shave lasts longer, but I am not convinced. If you prep the same way and cut the hair above the surface of the skin the results could be equal at best. There is no lift and cut with a single blade.

I do both.
Shaving with a DE is much faster and easier. Shaving with a straight, more time, but yes a CLOSER shave. What many people don't understand is with a straight because you have to stretch the skin you are cutting the hair closer.
I have only done a handful of straight shaves but they cut closer, last longer, give less irritation, etc.

I shaved with my DE and a Bolzano two days ago and ruined my face...with a Lord Platinum it was no big deal... who knows!

I own 2 Boker straights and a Shavette, i was going to practice with the shavette and when i felt comfortable i was going to have the bokers honed and stropped. on the first attempted shave with the shavette i sliced into my cheek real good and now i am scared to try again. So for me a DE gives a better shave. :)

Actually, I have a feeling that the shavette is actually harder to master than a real straight. I haven't personally used a shavette, but I DO have a newly acquired Feather RG folding straight, and I can tell you that you have to pay considerably more attention with the Feather than you do with a regular straight razor.

When I first started with straights I almost never got weepers or nicks. In the past week with the Feather (Just started with it last Monday) I've gotten down to 1 or 2 weepers per shave, but the first thing I did putting the Feather up to my cheek was give myself a nice little slice, the shave ended with 4 or 5 weepers and about 3 nicks... and this is coming from 18 years of straight razor shaving, with a lot of DE thrown in the past few years.

(The foray into DE was mainly because I misplaced my straights, strops, hones when I moved - I finally found the straights & stones back, and got a new strop.)

I'd say get the straights honed up and give them a try, I think you will find them more forgiving of errors than your shavette. :)

I would get a closer shave with a straight than a DE if I had the nerve to go ATG on my neck, but I don't. I still get a more satisfying shaving with a straight with no irritation, and would use a straight exclusively if time were not an issue.

Here is another vote for straight shaves lastning longer than DEs, but the thing that makes the biggest difference for me is the post shave feeling. With straights my skin feels silky smooth and soft. I have yet to find a safety razor that produces the same skin feel. Lately, I have been shaving with a shavette on every other shave using half a DE blade and I get the same post shave skin feel as with a regular straight but when the stubble grows back, it feels more rough to the touch. Obviously, I cannot say if this is a general phenomenon after three shaves using the same blade. It is however very interesting that the same blade can give such different shaves just by using a different device.

Also, I would like to point out that I am glad I learnt straight shaving on a regular straight. The shavette is so lightweight and sharp that you want a very steady and trained hand when using it. A hefty straight with a slightly duller blade is much more forgiving because it takes more effort to move it in a way which might give you a cut, IMO.

Not having used a DE or straight yet (got here mostly for soaps and creams), how different are the techniques. I have seen the videos for straight and there is a lot of good stretching of the skin. Do DE shavers pull the skin as taught for their blades with proper techniques or is it mostly just tilting the head and curling the lips to tighten the skin? If not, that could be a big difference in the closeness some experience.

The last couple post also make me wonder if I should get a regular straight instead of trying the Parker with disposable blades I have been going to test this week....

Not having used a DE or straight yet (got here mostly for soaps and creams), how different are the techniques. I have seen the videos for straight and there is a lot of good stretching of the skin. Do DE shavers pull the skin as taught for their blades with proper techniques or is it mostly just tilting the head and curling the lips to tighten the skin? If not, that could be a big difference in the closeness some experience.

The last couple post also make me wonder if I should get a regular straight instead of trying the Parker with disposable blades I have been going to test this week....

The techniques are very different indeed generally speaking since the blade on a DE is perpendicular to the handle whereas on a straight the handle is in essence on the same line as the blade. When it comes to skin stretching, you do not usually do that when DE shaving partly because the guard bar located between the blade and the handle does that for you.

By all means test the Parker, just bear in mind that if you do not like it, test a regular straight before writing off straights altogether. You can get a decent starter set for peanuts here: http://www.whippeddog.com/

Top Bottom