What's new

DE Blades - how many years supply do you have?

I have 14 DE razors, 47 tubs of soap, 52 bottles of aftershave, 7 brushes, 2 lathering bowls, 1 bottle of Thayers witch hazel, and 800 razor blades. Two and 1/2 years ago I was shaving with cartridges and bar soap in the shower.

Thanks, guys.

May I ask the most important question here:

What gives with only 1 bottle of Thayers?

ive got about 450 blades, various brands..

got no idea how many years it will last but im just thinking use one and bin it, got so many and the price is peanuts compared to cartridge razors refills too

Indefinite. I use 1 a month maybe. Due to SR obsession, not cuz I gwt hundreds of shaves or have millions of blades.

I have around 1,400 blades. They should last me around 28 years. Maybe longer because I use a straight razor once a week.

Well, that's a good question. I normally keep a running inventory of all things shave related but ive had a recent slide in my condition and have let things slip. But considering all I use are vintage blades and they give me two weeks to over a month each depending, I can say with certaincy way, way more than I'll ever use. Probably thirty to forty years if I go all Methusela.
Edit update: I forgot I gave away a bundle of Gillette original Stainless,, it's closer to twenty five or thirty years.

Last edited:
Assuming 1 blade per week (52 blades per year), i have about 38 years worth of excellent shaves. Just need to reign in acquisition of the next 'newest, best' blade release (Derby USTAs anyone?) and i just might be able to use them all.

Oh well, my next generation is well covered.

I've got around 60 DE blades so about 4 years worth at current usage of shaving 2 maybe 3 times per week and changing every 6 shaves. I also have a couple 7 blade packs of Schick injector blades and at about 1 blade every 1-2 years(I only use it on rare occasion) that is another 7-14 years unless I start using it regularly. But I now have a new Parker Adjustable Injector coming in the mail. That comes with 20 blades and of course I found a code for another 20 blades and throwing that in the mix and who knows how long those Taconic blades will last me so I think I should be able to make it the rest of my life with what I have between the two. If the Parker razor and Taconic blades don't work out than I am back to about 5-6 years total throwing my other injector into the mix if I use it more like I am planning on.

I have 14 DE razors, 47 tubs of soap, 52 bottles of aftershave, 7 brushes, 2 lathering bowls, 1 bottle of Thayers witch hazel, and 800 razor blades. Two and 1/2 years ago I was shaving with cartridges and bar soap in the shower.

Thanks, guys.

You're welcome and glad to be of enabling service!

The more you buy in bulk, the more you save right?

Funny you mention that. When I got into this type of shaving coming up on 5 years ago that first year I hunted for a blade that worked and found it supplied with a SS or Slim that I bought off the bay. It was the Gillette Permasharp made in India. So I went back online and searched for a supplier and of course the bay come up again with suppliers from India. I paid $13 per 100 shipped free and only bought 100 of course. The thing is the more you bought the cheaper it was. I had the idea of buying upwards of 5000 which was like half the price of buying 100. I had the idea of selling them on the bay and being a USA supplier until I did the math. Too much work for such little profit. Got my friend into DE shaving and between the few blades he tried he liked the same one and I ordered 200 for him at something like $22 for 200. I was thinking I should have bought more then since the sellers from India are charging for shipping now.

I have 11 weeks left. I have done extensive sampling and have settled on Gillette silver blues. I will probably purchase 100 of them.

Top Bottom