What's new

DE Blade Inconsistency - Is it a thing?

Have you experienced inconsistencies with DE blades?

• Yes

• No

• I don't know

Results are only viewable after voting.
Yes it's definitely a thing!
My most recent experience was last week with the GEM blades that were included with my Blackland Sabre. First blade was a dud!
Made me think it was the razor but a change of blade took care of the issue. Apparently it's a recurring issue on GEM blades.
The other ones have been the Personna Lab Blues. Fantastic blade if you get a good one. But I've found that in every pack I've occasionally gotten a bad one.
Thinking about it now, both the Lab Blues & the GEM's are made by Personna. Maybe they've got some QC issues. I still love the Lab Blues though!
Another inconsistent one is the Bic Chrome platinum. Every pack I've used has had at least 1 bad blade. And strangely enough, the Bic Astor stainless (red pack) never has bad blades. And they're made in the same factory in Greece as the chrome platinums. I've since stuck mostly with the Bic Astor's because they're sharp, smooth and consistent. My #1 DE blade right now!

Hi,

I have not had a dud in many, many years. Not since I began using Personna Lab Blue and Med Prep blades circa 1988.

Before that, there were the occasional bad blade from the grocery or drug store Gillette and Schick common blade dispensers.

It was around 1988 when those blades became unobtanium and I had to buy Personna bulk packs from the surgical supply store.

So, I voted No.

Stan

Blade are cheap for the most part, I am sure they could be made very consistent.

But the would in could would add to production cost.

Perfection like consistency would be possible, but who is willing to pay for perfection?

My guess is few end users.

Think the Japanese are OCD about make the best Blade they can. Their Blade are pricy.

Well, that’s wierd.

Good razors, good blades, 10 years experience...so assumption of decent prep and technique.

Maybe something going on with your skin making it more sensitive at certain times? Perhaps start making marks on a calendar and see if they coincide with an activity/diet/medication.
I agree that probably it's more something to do with your skin than the blade itself (if it's a good blade).
Even though you already mentioned you tried some prep routine in point 4), but maybe it's more to do with properly recovering the skin between shaves. For me moisturizing (it has to be a good moisturizer) is essential for a good shave. It's the best prep you can have.
You didn't mention if the time between your shaves is consistent, meaning daily shaver, every x days. Does this happen when you change that time period or even when your routine is consistent?

Top Bottom