What's new

Day 3 with a Straight Razor

Day 3 with the Straight Razor. I made it all the way through 1 pass over my entire shave area today with the SR! Pretty excited but I still need lots of practice. I’m struggling with using my non-dominant hand..is this a must? I also have great difficulty holding the razor properly for my neck and chin. I can’t seem to duplicate the instruction videos I’ve seen, but all in all I think I’m getting a bit better. I can’t wait to get the strop I ordered and a straight razor I purchased from a member on the B&B market place. It’s probably going to be a step up and a bit more “shave ready” than the one I’m currently using.

Preshave-hot shower

Brush-Omega synthetic

Soap-Proraso Red (I’m really liking this soap)

Razor-Levering Artist

Aftershave-Nivea Balm and A splash of Clubman Special Reserve AS

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m struggling with using my non-dominant hand..is this a must?
When I was taught to shave as a teenager I was told you shave only with your sword hand, it's bad form otherwise. That's how I shaved for near on 30 years. Then I discovered the forums and saw that everyone recommended switching hands. It was had to make the change after all those years, but the change has definitely been worth it. The technique is much better than one handed.

It's your choice. My recommendation would be to make the effort.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Welcome to the world's biggest rabbit hole.

Hand switching or not is up to you and what works for you. I've always shaved with both hands, using safety razors and, later, using straights, but only because it "seems right" to me. I do it nothing like what I see on shaving videos.

1580082660757.png

After a few shaves I've learned the learning curve is long and ongoing. At least in my experience.

Sounds like you're doing really great.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Thanks everyone for the kind words, advice and encouragement. I truly appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you’re comfortable switching hands, then go for it. If not, no big deal. Though I switch hands, I can do a straight razor shave either way.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I’m just a few weeks of daily shaving, you will be perfectly comfortable with it and find it much easier than one handed.

I feel that using my non dominant hand makes me pay attention to grip, pressure, blade placement, etc in a way that using my left hand doesn't. Therefore, I do better shaving the right side of my face and neck.

......for now.

Congratulations on your shaves. I expect that most of us have modified our technique to whatever feels best rather than copy some "expert's" demonstration of the proper method of shaving with a straight. I do use both hands as I can just see what I'm doing better when shaving the left side of my face when using my left hand. However, I also enjoy using kamisori razors, and also use both hands as well as both sides of the blade, which isn't the traditional way of shaving shaving with a kamisori. With practice, you'll figure out what works for you.

Before I started SR shaving I thought I'd be in the club that only used my dominant hand. When I got the blade in my hands for the first time, I couldn't find a comfortable way to hold the razor in my right hand to shave the left side of my face, so I found switching hands worked best for me. Sounds like you are in the exact opposite camp.

Top Bottom