What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thursday. Sailor setting #10 throughout the shave.

3-31-22.Sailor.SemogueMix.CK-6.640.JPG

I wouldn't recommend it.

That said, there was no blood, the razor felt reasonably smooth considering the extreme gap, and the shave was good. Everything was simple. N-S. No ATG work. Not much work.

Blade feel? You bet! Blade feel in spades.

SheaButter.Alone.640..png
WizametSI.Puck.480JPG.JPG

Flipped blade.​
Cube.Tube.Mysterium.Large.640.1-22JPG.JPG
3-5-22.BoomtownBayRum.640.JPG

This shave completes my Fixed Four, and also completes this particular round of Sailor experimentation.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Saturday's shave was good.

4-2-22 MS30mm.MysticWaters.Taiga.640.JPG

Today's Taiga settings were 2, 6, and 1.

I'm going to exclusively use the Taiga for a week. Also I probably won't use a splash for the next week. Today we drove to the beach for spring break and I forgot to bring a splash. I may look for an aftershave in the drug store (or not).

Following today's shave I tossed the blade although I didn't need to.

Cube.Tube.Mysterium.Large.640.1-22JPG.JPG

Good shave.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I'm doing my best so far, gentlemen.

Happy shaves,

Jim

And you've done a lot for me, and I appreciate more then you know! When someone is a new fish in the waters, its difficult navigating the waters, to know what the best stuff to buy is. I know your main contribution to me was in help for a better shaving brush, but you have no idea how much I appreciate it. The land of brushes is a confusing one, quite daunting infact. So I thank you so much!

I wish you a truly wonderful vacation, and hope that you return to tell us some amazing stories. Like for example, a cat fish launches out of the water and says, please shave my whiskers with your DE, their getting long, thank you sir. And thus, you gave the fish a shave, and next day, there were 100 fishes on the beach wanting shaves, and suddenly, you became a fish barber overnight.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Today I was unable to find any fish needing shaves so I shaved myself.

My notes for today's shave were inadvertently placed in the April Adjustables thread so here's the link.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Dude! These are some of the best pics you have taken, because they were taken on the beach for a backdrop. This is truly excellent! Also, that looks like a Rex Ambassador razor, but I am more then likely wrong, cause the adjustment knob looks a bit wider.

Just setup a sign that says, cat fish shaves here, 25 dollars per shave.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Dude! These are some of the best pics you have taken, because they were taken on the beach for a backdrop. This is truly excellent! Also, that looks like a Rex Ambassador razor, but I am more then likely wrong, cause the adjustment knob looks a bit wider.

Just setup a sign that says, cat fish shaves here, 25 dollars per shave.

Taiga.H.Beach.2022.640.JPG

This razor is an HLS Taiga. The SS satin version.

Most people say the Taiga is a flat out Gibbs clone. I've never used or seen a Gibbs except in photographs. (There's a really good Gibbs photo currently in the April Adjustables thread.) From what I've read the Taiga is maybe not as aggressive, on its lowest settings, as the Gibbs. The Taiga has very mild possibilities and very wild options.

2-17-22.RexKonsul.New.640.JPG

This ⬆︎ razor ⇩ is the closest I've got to the Rex Ambassador. Mine's the Rex Konsul.

2-17-22.RexKonsul.Side.640.JPG

The Konsul is said to be less aggressive and smoother than the Ambassador. It is a slant. The knurling on the handle is also different from the Ambassador although both are said to be very grippy.

I've not yet used the Konsul much at all, but, from the little bit I've used it, I think I'll like it.

Thanks for the compliments on my beach photos. You're right, it's a lot easier on the beach.

11-19-21.Denali.Adjustable.640.JPG

Here's another razor which looks a good bit like and shares DNA with the Rex Ambassador, but is significantly milder. (According to what I've read.) I've used the Denali enough to know I like it.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My shave was very good indeed.

4-4-22.Taiga.MS-Beehive.SV-FM.H.Beach.640.JPG

Taiga settings today - 1.5, 8, and 1 - did a great job of it.

4-4-22.Shell.H.Beach.640.JPG

One of the kids with us (not mine) has found a good many shells. I like this view of this one.

I am not thrilled about this beach trip and much less happy with the realtor.

We rented a very nice house. Very nice as in very expensive even with off season pricing. I wanted nice! It is a damn nice house, too, with plenty of space, and luxurious appointments. Invited several guests to fill most of the house. Ocean front right on the beach.

Turns out there is major construction going on on the beach. Something about moving sand from offshore to the beach front.

Saturday and Sunday the construction was a few houses down the beach, but today it's right in front of our house. That means bulldozers and their constant beep beep beep noises and zero access to the ocean from our house. It means we can't sit on the covered porches and enjoy the ocean. It means sometimes hearing the beep beep beep right were I'm sitting in the living room.

This is 24/7 construction. It really didn't much bother us until this morning but now it's right in our face. The realtor had to know about this when we rented the house. I'll give them we rented it at the last minute, online, but there were plenty of other options. The construction impacts only a few houses. They could have clued us in that this was not the house to rent, and/or given us other options. It's not like the beach is crowded at all this time of year.

My photos are earlier today, or yesterday, before the bulldozers moved.

Good thing I'm happy with my shave.

Tube&Mysterium.H.Beach.2022.640.JPG

Flipped blade. No shea butter (didn't bring it). No splash (didn't bring it either).

The realtor isn't answering their phone.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

My shave was very good indeed.

View attachment 1434284

Taiga settings today - 1.5, 8, and 1 - did a great job of it.

View attachment 1434285

One of the kids with us (not mine) has found a good many shells. I like this view of this one.

I am not thrilled about this beach trip and much less happy with the realtor.

We rented a very nice house. Very nice as in very expensive even with off season pricing. I wanted nice! It is a damn nice house, too, with plenty of space, and luxurious appointments. Invited several guests to fill most of the house. Ocean front right on the beach.

Turns out there is major construction going on on the beach. Something about moving sand from offshore to the beach front.

Saturday and Sunday the construction was a few houses down the beach, but today it's right in front of our house. That means bulldozers and their constant beep beep beep noises and zero access to the ocean from our house. It means we can't sit on the covered porches and enjoy the ocean. It means sometimes hearing the beep beep beep right were I'm sitting in the living room.

This is 24/7 construction. It really didn't much bother us until this morning but now it's right in our face. The realtor had to know about this when we rented the house. I'll give them we rented it at the last minute, online, but there were plenty of other options. The construction impacts only a few houses. They could have clued us in that this was not the house to rent, and/or given us other options. It's not like the beach is crowded at all this time of year.

My photos are earlier today, or yesterday, before the bulldozers moved.

Good thing I'm happy with my shave.

View attachment 1434289

Flipped blade. No shea butter (didn't bring it). No splash (didn't bring it either).

The realtor isn't answering their phone.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Realtors will lie every single time to make a sale, that is what they do. They are in the job to make money, and have no problem selling you on a pile of dogcrap, to make you buy in. It don't matter if its buying a house, or renting a house. They know full well, that if they were honest and told you about the pending construction, you were not going to pay for the house and go elsewhere. Money is the bottom line of every realtor, and its why I don't trust them, never have.

On a positive note, I am so happy when you share that razor, and your experience with it. Its such a fine razor isn't it? I am glad you are happy with it. Happy as I a clam I take it? HEHE

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My wife and I met with the realtor (or someone in the office). No joy at all.

They "care" but are clearly "unable to do anything." I think they care that they're being bothered by me, and, they say, other renters.

We have one option according to them. We can drive several miles and use the public parking, and public beach access.

We can't drive a block and park in the driveway of one of the unrented houses and use their access; to do so would be trespassing. Beside that, I don't want to do that.

We can not move to one of the many other houses vacant and available for rental. Well, I suppose we could were we willing to rent two beach houses this week.

I certainly get that the realtor company doesn't own the houses. I get that the contract we signed is with this house's owner. Of course we don't know the owner and have never seen nor talked with them nor had any dealings directly with them. Only with their agent.

The realtor doesn't seem to accept any responsibility for any part of their role as the agent brokering the property. They did not tell us the property would or might be impacted by construction and have no beach access. Etc. They didn't offer to rent to us any of the many other similar houses which would not have been affected by the construction. There are probably at least several hundred, perhaps a thousand or more, unaffected beach houses.

We can access from our house the beach only by walking a hundred yards or so down the dune, on the dune. That only gets us to a place on the beach where we can hear the beep beep beep of the bulldozers. Plus, walking on the dunes is illegal. There are signs everywhere about that, all of which mention the $500 fine.

So, basically, I can sit here inside the house and look at the beach, or sit on the outside porch and look at the beach. From either place I can hear the beep beep beep, and anticipate the bulldozer noise etc getting worse as the week goes on. I will be able to hear them at night, too, as the construction never stops.

I'm not finished trying to deal with this and have it resolved to my satisfaction.

I'm also very aware that a ruined vacation is not the end of the world. I'm also trying to figure out some way to make this an enjoyable vacation in spite of the issues with noise and a lack of beach access.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom