What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Friday. What to do?

This morning my skin looked a big crusty and "rashy" in what I've identified as ground zero of my "area." Not a big deal but still...

I applied some hydrocortisone cream.

After about an hour I showered, washing my face with the Cube as usual.

Everything looked pretty good. Not perfect. I proceeded.

12-3-21.Mondial.IvoryBoar.CK-6.WR2.1.35.640.JPG

Used the Tube as a preshave. Flipped my Wizamet SI. The razor is my WR2 1.35.

The shave went well.

Post shave things look pretty good. Not perfect but about like things looked post shave yesterday. I see and feel no signs of swelling. There is a tad of itching.

All I've used post shave is a splash.

Coconut Bay Splash. 12-16-20. 640JPG.JPG

We'll see how it goes today. In any event I'm totally avoiding my usual HA and moisturizer products for now.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I noticed in one of your earlier pics, Jim, that the moisturiser already contains some of that Hardtopronounceandspell Acid. Maybe "doubling up" on that is part of the issue.

I say it like this...Hi, Al, U, Ron, ic...Acid.

I'm not saying that's the right way to pronounce it, but it works for me.

I long ago came to the conclusion all scientific and medical words can be pronounced any way you want to as long as you get all the syllables. Most have multiple pronunciations some of which are regional and/or depend where you went to graduate school and/or medical school.

Thanks, Al, for your interest and comments.

Who knows at this point?

I tend to use a lot of the hyaluronic acid sometimes, and very little other times. I also know the various HA products do not all contain the same non-HA ingredients.

The plan it to first overcome the issue and heal. (Which is already happening.) Then maybe I'll try to figure out the etiology.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
This morning my skin looked better. Not perfect but improved. However, it didn't feel as good as it looked. I rinsed my face with warm water for no particular reason.

In response to the application of water, the "areas" looked significantly worse. Much more in the direction of red.

I'm not talking here of really bad looking inflammation. Just relatively much more red. Indicative not of something terrible, but indicative of something inflammatory mediated.

I applied my oldest standby for dry, chapped, sunburned, razor burned, funky skin - the Equate knockoff of old fashioned and no longer made Noxzema - and have high hopes for it. At any rate, it doesn't so far, about 20 minutes later, feel worse. It certainly doesn't feel like the product is hurting me. I've not looked in the mirror.

We'll see.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Monday my shave was very good indeed.

12-6-21.ATT.CR1.Radiator.SS-NIL.Zenith.Unbleached.640.JPG

This is a beautiful and beautiful shaving razor.

The handle and stand are the titanium Tibam Radiator. The handle is a custom ~80 mm length.

The cap is a SS Windsor Pro. The baseplate is a CR1.

In terms of the shave itself, this razor would be very hard to beat. Smooth. Easy to use. Efficient. Effective.

I do not have a photograph showing how this Zenith unbleached boar was initially misshapen. I don't think it should have been sold or should have passed QC, but it was.

It's shape has improved but still is not great. However, it is a great great boar brush.

Better, even though it's pretty broken in - can you see all the split ends? - I believe it will break in even more and splay better, etc.

It has huge huge huge backbone! Kinda unbelievable backbone, but it's also already soft feeling.

Cube/Tube. Flipped Wizamet SI blade.

ClasicoBayRum.640.JPG

Really great shave today.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Tuesday. Another really good shave.

12-7-21.CR1.SS-NIL.Italian Flag.640.JPG

Cube/Tube
Flipped Wizamet SI

Nothing else​
Coconut Bay Splash. 12-16-20. 640JPG.JPG

If the soul patch were a little better smoothed this would be a damn near perfect shave.

(That doesn't mean perfect by some mythical BBS standards about which I don't much care.)

The ATT CR1 is, for me, a terrific razor. It's better with this titanium handle, too. In the photo I think the handle looks a bit longer than its ~80 mm length.

The Italian Flag is not my favorite boar. I keep it around because I love the look of the handle. It's an okay brush, but that's about it.

Happy shaves,

Jim

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Tuesday. Another really good shave.

View attachment 1374446
Cube/Tube
Flipped Wizamet SI

Nothing else​
View attachment 1374447

If the soul patch were a little better smoothed this would be a damn near perfect shave.

(That doesn't mean perfect by some mythical BBS standards about which I don't much care.)

The ATT CR1 is, for me, a terrific razor. It's better with this titanium handle, too. In the photo I think the handle looks a bit longer than its ~80 mm length.

The Italian Flag is not my favorite boar. I keep it around because I love the look of the handle. It's an okay brush, but that's about it.

Happy shaves,

Jim
The Mixed Metal CR1 with a Ti Handle is a very nice razor indeed! :)

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Wednesday. Same basic kit. Same basic shave.

12-8-21.CR1.Z-Wood-Boar.SS-NIL.640JPG.JPG

This brush handle is wooden and black unlike how it appears in the photograph. Interesting.

Same stuff as yesterday. Flipped the blade.

I know it's Wolfman Wednesday and I'm supposed to use a WR2. I'd planned to, but when it came to the grabbing of a razor I grabbed the CR1.

It is a great razor for me.

Is it the PUHG razor? It might be. I've never said that about another razor. I like it!

ClasicoBayRum.640.JPG

Really good splash.

Oh, my skin is good, for the record.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thursday. Another very good shave.

12-9-21.CR1.SS-NIL.640.JPG

What a great razor?

This morning I polished up the copper handle of this beautiful Zenith boar. I may polish it more but it looks very shiny and good to me. It's a good brush by any standard. I'd prefer it to be unbleached of course.

Cube/Tube. Flipped Wizamet SI blade.

The Beach Splash.640.JPG

This is one of my favorite splashes.​

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Friday. I wanted a bit more efficiency.

12-10-21.ATT-SH1..MightyMidget.SS-NIL.640.JPG

Today's razor combined the ATT SH1 baseplate, the SS Windsor Pro cap, and a custom ~80 mm titanium Tibam Radiator handle.

Nice razor. Definitely a bit more efficient than the CR1, and not much less smooth. It might be enough less smooth to not be a Daily Driver contender. It also might not be that much less smooth. I have insufficient experience with it to comment in any way definitive (for me).

Diver Down Spalsh.640.JPG

My brush today was the Omega Mighty Midget with three #13 O-rings. It's a heavy hitter for its size and price.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I love DE Razor Handles that can stand up on their own. :cornut:

I also like pics of them (i.e. showing the complete handle) without their ugly (and to me pointless) stands. :001_tt2:

Not that anyone should like what I like, but I too like razors which will stand up on their own when someone's taking their picture.

When it's not Picture Day I like 'em to rest in their stands. My view of stands has changed.

I used to see stands as merely utilitarian. Now I appreciate their aesthetics and admire their various designs.

4-24-21.TimelessBronzeSB.Stand.New-from-BST.640.JPG

Timeless stands set a high bar in my view of them.​
5-19-21 Timeless95Ti.New.640.JPG

I like the Above the Tie Atlas handle well enough, but prefer my favorite ATT razor on a titanium handle. The downside to that preference is not needing the beautiful ATT Inkwell stand. Perhaps there's a workaround.

5-8-21.Karve.F plate.New.Stand.640.JPG

In my view, Karve nails their stand.

I like its looks. Its interior lining is a great feature.

The Pearl Flexi stand is utilitarian, but not too simple.​

8-29-21.Pearl-Flexi-#1.CH3-Manch.Vitos.640.JPG

My inner minimalist understands that many aspects of our hobby are silly, but a good stand, while completely unnecessary in most situations and circumstances, nevertheless can add to the fun.

12-6-21.ATT.CR1.Radiator.SS-NIL.Zenith.Unbleached.640.JPG

The Tibam Radiator stand looks great to me, goes perfectly with the handle, and functions as a good stand should.

It might be the Cadillac of stands.​

WolfmanWR2 Razors.1.15 & 1.35.640.Side..JPG

The Wolfman stands are simple and elegant.

Tibam's New York handle sports a very similar stand.

These handsome stands are also highly functional.​
10-1-21.Blackbird.Tibam.NY.Custom.Stand.640.JPG

Obviously their looks are in the beholder's eye. They're only functional if one desires their razor(s) to stand upright while in storage on display.

12-2-21.Denali.RexStand.640.JPG

The Rex stand is huge massive by any standard. It holds my Denali perfectly.

Perhaps the Sailor's stand will be even more impressive, but I've only pictures of it.​
11-7-21.RocnelSailorMasterCollection.Stand.NotMine.640.png

Several gentlemen have posted pictures of their gear, pictures including beautiful cabinetry designed to display their razors. Other than stands my shaving gear storage is a few simple shelves in the room next to my shave den. I have several opportunities most days to view my razors. Their stands add to my enjoyment.

I like the stands themselves. I like how my razors are displayed in them. I like the mix of designs. I like how over the top some of them are and how simple others are. The whole shebang appeals to me, but that's just me.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
When it's not Picture Day I like 'em to rest in their stands. My view of stands has changed.

I used to see stands as merely utilitarian. Now I appreciate their aesthetics and admire their various designs.
:laugh: Vive la différence!

I wonder if we'll still like/dislike different things when they've transformed us into human/robot hybrids. :001_unsur

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Saturday's shave was inspired by this post which mentions the efficiency of the Timeless Bronze 38 and rates its smoothness and efficiency against several other razors most of which I don't have and haven't used.

12-11-21.TimelessBronze38.Stand.70:30.CK-6.640JPG.JPG

I have recently been using razors mentioned elsewhere in the same thread as the above post particularly the Above the Tie CM1, CR1, and SH1.

I would say the Bronze 38 is less smooth than any of the three ATT razors. The Bronze 38 has much more blade feel than any of them. That's not to say the Bronze 38 isn't pretty smooth because it is, but it's not in the smoothness league with the ATT Windsors.

The post mentioned above doesn't claim it is in their smoothness league. In fact, I infer otherwise from it.

How efficient is the Bronze 38? It's surprisingly efficient for a razor with a gap so small. It might be more efficient than the SH1. Maybe it's not. It's similar in efficiency to the SH1, but, for me it's nowhere near as smooth nor is it as enjoyable to shave with.

I don't think the TB38 has the greatest post shave.

Of course you do understand I'm looking for the razor which is as smooth as the CM1 and as efficient as the iKon Tech.

Cube/Tube. Flipped Wizamet SI, a blade no longer close to new but still going strong.

CrownKing.BayRum.Jug.Bottle.480.11-12-18.JPG

A favorite splash is always a good idea.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My skin was feeling a bit overdone.

Could be the Bronze 38. Could be the weather. Could be both or neither.

What to do? That's the real issue as I don't want to use hyaluronic acid or Brickell moisturizer. Plus, even though I have other moisturizers I can't find any, or none which appeal to me.

SheaButter+Equate.480JPG.JPG

I grabbed one of my trusted old favorites - 100% raw shea butter - and applied it to the affected area which means my whole face below my eyes, and to my neck as a bonus.

Result? Almost instant relief. Wow!

I may or may not use it again later, perhaps at bedtime, perhaps followed by Equate. Perhaps Equate instead. Or nothing.

Timeless Bronze 78 %22our most aggressive razor%22.png

Even though Timeless says ⬆️ this ⬆️ they also say something similar about a couple of their other razors, the Aluminum and the Slim, or should. Besides that, a good ways back I thought maybe the Bronze 38 even though it feels smoother during the shave might leave my skin not as well post shave as the Bronze 78 OC.

Whether I want to test that anytime soon is another issue.

One razor I've used in the past and enjoyed a lot more than you might expect and many report is the R41. I've not yet used even once my SS R41 GS. That doesn't mean I'm fixing to use it; I'm not beginning with it unless my skin's quite comfortable including the day before.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
TB38 is an excellent razor for when you haven't shaved in 2 days or if you need the shave to last a LOOONG time. But it isn't smooth enough IME to be a daily driver and I would bet dollars to donuts that the TB38 was solely responsible for making your face feel "overdone" because it does the same for me. With the right blade, a super shallow shave angle and minimal passes, one can improve on it, but it'll never be as versatile as the other razors in my den.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
TB38 is an excellent razor for when you haven't shaved in 2 days or if you need the shave to last a LOOONG time. But it isn't smooth enough IME to be a daily driver and I would bet dollars to donuts that the TB38 was solely responsible for making your face feel "overdone" because it does the same for me. With the right blade, a super shallow shave angle and minimal passes, one can improve on it, but it'll never be as versatile as the other razors in my den.

Bet you're right.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Sunday's shave was good.

12-12-21.Denali.CK-6.OumoMixed.640.JPG

Today's razor was the Denali. It was set on the lowest, mildest setting, #1, throughout the shave.

You'll notice I repainted the red stripe I'd inadvertently removed. Used Testors in a metallic red. It was harder to do than I expected as the space is tiny, but I only screwed it up three times before achieving more or less acceptable results.

In my view, the razor should have an embedded jewel sorta like the Pearl. The Rex Ambassador should too for that matter. Expensive razors should not be missing out on details the inexpensive Pearl manages to incorporate.

Today's shave was like most of my shaves in my approach and in the amount of work I did. With the hysteresis effect kicking in the shave was surprisingly good, smooth feeling, close, easy enough.

Even on #1 the Denali's not as smooth feeling as the ATT CM1 and CR1 and maybe the SH1, but what razors are? Maybe the WR2?

Still, the Denali is a very good adjustable razor and plenty smooth. I've liked it on every setting I've used.

Today's brush was delightful. It's a mixed boar/badger. It is a large fan knot on a perfectly nice smallish vintage handle. I think the knot is by Oumo. In my opinion it has a little bit of what I call good scritch and a ton of delicious scrub. Very nice knot and brush to use. A generous member gave me this lovely brush.

WizametSI.Puck.480JPG.JPG

New Wizamet SI blade today.​
Cube2.0&Tube.2.0.640.8-24-21.JPG
ClasicoBayRum.640.JPG

Nice shave.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Top Bottom