$Steep Angle.jpg
11-11-20.iKon.X3.Simpsons Soap.Churbby2.Best.640.JPG

At least it doesn't cost more money to experiment with the X3 I already own.​
Science $ Curiosity

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
For me, the low blade-feel/high-efficiency setting on the Ikon X3 is way too far away from the safety bar. It’s probably even better at a steep angle for people with a light touch, but I couldn’t verify as it was harsh for me.

Absolutely! And the mileage is rougher and less efficient when I shave my face with steep angles with that razor.

My every caveat was listed in the sentence you quoted.

Thom, I'm even more confused.

Are you saying it works best for you at a very shallow, cap riding angle, but you think that angle is way too far away from the safety bar for the angle to suit you?

It's clear you don't enjoy the razor at a steep angle.

I don't know? What do you call the Holy Grail combined with a Pegasus Unicorn? A FOCS? :rolleyes5

Brilliant, Rave. Yet you and I use other razors. I keep up the search for a better HGPU.

It ain't cheap either, this quest.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Thom, I'm even more confused.

Are you saying it works best for you at a very shallow, cap riding angle, but you think that angle is way too far away from the safety bar for the angle to suit you?

It's clear you don't enjoy the razor at a steep angle.

Brilliant, Rave. Yet you and I use other razors. I keep up the search for a better HGPU.

It ain't cheap either, this quest.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Where not so dissimilar. You keep searching out there. I keep searching my Fatip collection for my favorite one. Every time I find it, I use the next one...

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.

Other than on the sides of my chin, it’s serviceable and comfortable enough for me, but I think you may enjoy shaving steeply more than I do and I’m concerned the harshness at steeper angles I experienced could possibly be experienced by you as well. Of course, it’s my hope to be incorrect and that the Occam Razor explanation is I’m merely doing less things wrong shallow than I normally do wrong steep.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Other than on the sides of my chin, it’s serviceable and comfortable enough for me, but I think you may enjoy shaving steeply more than I do and I’m concerned the harshness at steeper angles I experienced could possibly be experienced by you as well. Of course, it’s my hope to be incorrect and that the Occam Razor explanation is I’m merely doing less things wrong shallow than I normally do wrong steep.

Makes sense to me. Kinda sorta.

I'll try it again. Probably tomorrow. Well, maybe tomorrow. I noticed last night my skin feeling somewhat overdone. I don't like overdone and it had to be from the X3. (***See below***)

I'm not shaving today. Giving my skin yet another little break. Should have listened to myself being smart yesterday and also skipped that shave, but I didn't do any damage yesterday. I just think a longer break would have been better for my "areas or spots" of damage; OTOH, they're mostly almost invisible now and functionally healed I think.

I'm not entirely in love with the Wolfman WR2 but I will say this:
  • (***See above***)
  • The WR2 1.15 seems to be the razor which above all other DE razors I've used leaves me with *not overdone feeling skin* most often.
  • Unless I'm wrong about that which is always possible.
The FOCS gives the WR2 1.15 some very stiff competition in that regard.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Tuesday's shave felt like it happened on Monday. (Monday was a holiday.)

My skin areas are much better. I thought preshave they were 100% cleared. Post shave I see they are not, but it's good.

Also my illness seems substantially gone. At least much of the time it seems gone meaning there are moments, but mostly I'm good as good as new other than not being quite at 1000% on my energy. Not exercising yet. (As good as new in some senses, let's say.)

9-7-21.X3.NY Ti Handle.Rave'sManchurian.Vitos.640.JPG

Tried to use the iKon X3 at what I think is its design angle. (Called the neutral angle by some.).

It's a razor I like. Easy to use. Smooth enough. Efficient enough for most purposes most days. Jury is deliberating on the soul patch counts.

Great Zenith Manchurian brush!

Flipped the same Wizamet SI blade. It's still good. Also used the Cube & Tube.

12-20.CoconutBayRum.HyaluronicAcid.Brickell.640.JPG

Good shave.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Glad to hear you're so much better in all respects! No idea if this would be of interest to you Jim. I recently tried the PAA Supreme Sandalwood Science splash. I really like it, it's a very non traditional formula with quite a bit of bite to it, for lack of a better phrase. It pairs extremely well with the Cyril Salter Indian Sandalwood cream, also quite a spicy scent.

I'm also considering testing the R41 as a daily driver. No idea if it'll be too rough on my skin so I thought I'd try it for a week and see. Thanks again for letting us know how well you've recovered.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Glad to hear you're so much better in all respects! No idea if this would be of interest to you Jim. I recently tried the PAA Supreme Sandalwood Science splash. I really like it, it's a very non traditional formula with quite a bit of bite to it, for lack of a better phrase. It pairs extremely well with the Cyril Salter Indian Sandalwood cream, also quite a spicy scent.

I'm also considering testing the R41 as a daily driver. No idea if it'll be too rough on my skin so I thought I'd try it for a week and see. Thanks again for letting us know how well you've recovered.

Thank you so much for celebrating my recovery with me.

12-20.PAA.Sandalwood.HyaluronicAcid.Brickell.640.JPG

Yes, I like it, too.

I don't use it as much as some of the other PAA splashes. I use it off and on though and am always pleased with it. Enough that I'll buy more when I'm low on it.

Enablers R Us-Everyone needs an R41 for science.jpg

The R41 is one of those razors - the more you use it the better you get with it - much maligned for reasons mysterious to me.

I'm not sure if it will make it into the category of razors I consider Daily Drivers. (That means I know I could enjoy using them every single day.)

The R41 is a razor I know I can use daily. I also know that - for me at least - it's a razor with a learning curve.

I'm looking forward to receiving - it should be here pretty soon I hope - the SS version of the R41. Whether I'll use it with the handle shipped with it has yet to be determined. More and more I like lighter handles.

Sometimes though I like a handle which isn't light so we'll see.

The deal breaker for me is skinny handle.

R41.2.Chrome.RoseGold.640.7-18.JPG

If you don't already have a good R41 or even if you do, I'll say this: The rose gold is better!

YMMV.

Happy shaves,

Jim

View attachment 1324374

Yes, I like it, too.

I don't use it as much as some of the other PAA splashes. I use it off and on though and am always pleased with it. Enough that I'll buy more when I'm low on it.

View attachment 1324375

The R41 is one of those razors - the more you use it the better you get with it - much maligned for reasons mysterious to me.

I'm not sure if it will make it into the category of razors I consider Daily Drivers. (That means I know I could enjoy using them every single day.)

The R41 is a razor I know I can use daily. I also know that - for me at least - it's a razor with a learning curve.

I'm looking forward to receiving - it should be here pretty soon I hope - the SS version of the R41. Whether I'll use it with the handle shipped with it has yet to be determined. More and more I like lighter handles.

View attachment 1324376

If you don't already have a good R41 or even if you do, I'll say this: The rose gold is better!

YMMV.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Heh, I should've guessed you already had the sandalwood. I currently have the R41 head only, with quite a selection of Razorock handles. That rose gold handle sure is gorgeous, I do wish they sold it separately!

Happy shaves Jim!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

View attachment 1324374

Yes, I like it, too.

View attachment 1324375

View attachment 1324376

YMMV.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Glad that you are feeling better, Jim. :cool:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Wednesday. Good shave indeed.

9-8-21.WR2.1.15.RV.Shavemac2Band.Vitos.640.JPG

It's possible this was my best shave yet with the Wolfman WR2 1.15 razor!

It is a bit early to assess the soul patch but early indications are it is very well smoothed today. I've not examined it in the mirror. Sometimes it feels smooth to the fingers but still has some visible above the skin white whiskers remains. I will look later to find out.

The 1.15 is a very effective razor.
  • It feels really smooth in use. (Steep mostly.)
  • It allows me to do enough work without damaging my skin.
  • Post shave my skin feels as good as it does with any razor I've used, or better.
  • It's more efficient than I would have thought.
  • It improves as I gain experience with it. (Learn to use it more effectively.)
It does require some care as one shaves with it. Not much, but some. The corners will bite, but that's a technique issue more than anything else. If I'm too careless it bites. Oftentimes that means just a little warning nip, and no blood, but it is felt and noticed.

12-20.ClasicoBayRum.HyaluronicAcid.Brickell.640JPG.JPG

As usual, I flipped the same ole Polsilver SI blade. (They get better and better and last a very long time.)

As usual, the Cube & the Tub helped my shave.

My Rudy Vey Shavemac non-DO1 2 band has some bite to it (as does the D01 two band). I mean that as a compliment. Sometime I do, but often I don't want a really soft brush. This brush is plenty soft for a very scrubby 2 band, and it's sufficiently soft enough for most days, but there's a strong presence to the knot.

It reminds me of my Chubby 3 Manchurian in how it feels.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom