What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
What I am thinking is the weight of the head has something to do with the smoothness, Jim. Can it be the razor is so head heavy, you can't feel it bite? I believe the head of the Wunderbar is listed as 34 grams and a FOCS is around 30 grams, so it seems that would change the balance point quite a bit using the same weight handle.
Could the mosquito bites be from the gap then?

Could be the gap. Thanks for mentioning that.

As others have mentioned it's a strange razor - not saying it's a bad razor because it's not bad and might actually be very good - mosquito bites being the mystery and the caveat.

The good shaves are quite good. Perhaps mosquito bites are in my past (and not my future).

We'll see. It's not like the Fixed Four gives me any options in the next couple or so weeks other than to persist along the learning curve.

For the most part I've enjoyed very low gap razors. It's not that I didn't know the Fixed would be a lot easier with a FOCS. I wanted to see if I could learn the Wunderbar so I go myself into this Fix.

Assuming the good shaves continue it was a great decision.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Sunday's shave was much the same so I'm on a roll.

3-14-21.FixedKit.640.JPG

Once again, no blood!

Also used a Wizamet SI blade, flipped.

Again used a Grooming Dept preshave, but not the same one as yesterday.

I think the preshave makes a big difference with this razor.

It's not news to me or you that GD preshaves are really really good.

I also have in transit a Vitos preshave from Connaught. I've used several other preshaves (other than GD) and been unimpressed.

Here's hoping the Vitos version is as good as I "expect."​
12-20.ClasicoBayRum.HyaluronicAcid.Brickell.640JPG.JPG

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
It's been a good weekend for a change. I'm somewhat less stressed out over work which helps. My daughter came for a brief visit, long enough to take her and her mom out to dinner. My shaves have been very good.

While my daughter was here I decided to sign up again for the paid version of Spotify; in my opinion the free version is worthless, but the paid version is pretty darn good. I set up my streaming tv with a Spotify app, on Roku, which is allowing me at this very moment to listen to some nice saxophone jazz on my tv's soundbar (and subwoofer).

Also ordered an inexpensive but well enough reviewed bluetooth (or hardwired, my choice) speaker so I can listen without headphones when reading at night in bed.

On both Saturday and Sunday I went to the Kroc Center and walked/exercised in their lazy river. I've gotten very consistent at daily M-F Shovelglove and pretty consistent at Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday lazy river journeys. Half an hour in the river is a far cry from the extremes I used to go to as a brevet rider (hundreds of miles a week on the bicycle) but it's way better than nothing.

The hot tub is a nice treat after the lazy river. I seldom skip it. Today there were a couple of gentlemen in the water with me which allowed a bit of actual face to face conversation with other guys. Nice!

When the Fixed Four is over I will probably have three new (or new to me) brushes to try out + a borrowed brush to get to know well. That's good, too.

Nice to have a pleasant and more enjoyable than some weekend. I hope yours is going swimmingly.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
A couple of new brushes are waiting in the wings to be tried out after the Fixed Four ends in a couple of weeks or so. Not that I'm in any hurry to use them.

3-15-21.RudyVey.Manchurian.640.JPG

The first is this Rudy Vey handle loaded with a Rudy Vey Manchurian. I have another Rudy Vey Manchurian so I have some idea what this knot will be like. At the same time I'm aware not all RV Manchurians are exactly alike so this one will be interesting.

It's a handle shape I'm familiar with because of the Irish Bog Oak handle Rudy made me. However, that brush is back with Rudy due to mysterious problems which he's trying to figure out, problems in the behavior of the IBO wood. The brush will be replaced. I'm a bit excited about the handle Rudy's making for me, which will be in a shape I don't own. I already know I'll love the new brush's Shavemac non-DO1 two band.

The second of my new brushes pictured below is a Simpson Chubby 3 in Best. I have a Chubby 2 in Best, and like it a lot. The CH3 was an excellent price on Amazon. I'm looking forward to giving it a spin. My guess is I'll like it a lot. However, Simpson Best is a highly variable knot as everyone knows. I hope mine is soft rather than too prickly, and not a shedder. My CH2 in Best is a very nice brush.

3-15-21.CH2.Best.BrandNew.640.JPG

Happy shaves,

Jim

My two cents here. Keep experimenting, this is all the fun about wet shaving. I can only suggest to change one variable at a time (different blades?, different pre shaving routine) but keep other references (razor, soap) unchanged. Otherwise you will miss what really works and what does not work. A big welcome and good luck.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My two cents here. Keep experimenting, this is all the fun about wet shaving. I can only suggest to change one variable at a time (different blades?, different pre shaving routine) but keep other references (razor, soap) unchanged. Otherwise you will miss what really works and what does not work. A big welcome and good luck.

Thanks.

white belt photo.jpeg

Shaving White Belt​

No reason to change belts, that's for sure.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I'd be interested on hearing your thoughts on the difference between the Vitos Extra Super Original and the Extra Super Coco. IIRC, you've used both in the past.

Are they they same soap, with the only difference being the scent (Coco is almond and coconut scented whereas the original is a pure almond scent)?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I'd be interested on hearing your thoughts on the difference between the Vitos Extra Super Original and the Extra Super Coco. IIRC, you've used both in the past.

Are they they same soap, with the only difference being the scent (Coco is almond and coconut scented whereas the original is a pure almond scent)?

I've used only the Coco and the Green and can't tell the difference between them (in the short run). I've not used the other Red (the Original).

Mostly I've just used the Coco, but I've used it a lot.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I've used only the Coco and the Green and can't tell the difference between them (in the short run). I've not used the other Red (the Original).

Mostly I've just used the Coco, but I've used it a lot.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Ah, thank you. I may order the Green and the Super from Connaught and do a three-way face-off to see if there are any real differences other than scent.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Tuesday's shave was very good.

3-23-21.Wunderbar.SOC.Mistura.Vitos.640.JPG

Wizamet SI
(flipped)​

No blood!

3-23-21.Vitos.Preshave.640.JPG
Today I used a new preshave. It works fine. It's got a prominent, but not overpowering, menthol thing going.

I don't hate menthol, but I don't love it for everyday use either. So, we'll see.​
12-20.CoconutBayRum.HyaluronicAcid.Brickell.640.JPG

The bottom line - which is of course today's shave - was very good. It's hard to complain.

What a nice brush!

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom