What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Wednesday's shave continued the experiment.

5-22-19."350".Kit.640.JPG

In other words I'm still trying to hone to my satisfaction and get a good shave with this wonky "350" razor. Not there yet, but I can't say the shave was lousy.

There was a time when I might have thought this edge sharp. It's a better edge than some edges I've acquired shave ready from people who are said to know what they're doing. No, I don't think I'm a honemeister. Not even close, but I don't have a great deal of regard for everyone selling their honing services either.

One shave with this stone a couple of months ago caused me to rate the edge highly, but I know my standards are higher. Link to that shave report. The razor is, to me, wonky, and thus has it's own thread as a wonky razor (see above link).

5-19-19.blackDevo."350".off-DCA..JPG

I'd be blaming the stone, the Double Convex Ark 8x3, but I can't because I know I've gotten a great edge with the stone, with the black Devo (above).

LillyWhite.NiceThinMineralOil.Sewing..jpg

I think I made some progress with the edge today, but not enough. I used an oil I really like though; it's the most acceptable (subjectively to me) mineral oil I've tried. I also used it thinned with mineral spirits. In addition, I used Ballistol both straight and with various amounts of water added. The Ballistol was diluted to at least 1:6, maybe more. Lots of water dripped onto the stone.

The next thing will be some laps under running water. That's about all I can think of to try with this razor and this stone.

At least I've gotten a lot of good practice with the DCA. I'm grateful for that. I think I understand the stone. I'd be sure if this razor were truly shave ready, but it is not. Not by my standards. Not compared to other razors I have.

Serum.Preshave.GroomingDept.480.Mine.2-26-19.JPG

Happy shaves to you,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thursday's shave was very nice.

5-23-19.Barbershop.WideTorrey.Kit.640.JPG

Good coticule edge on the Wide Torrey. Good kit. Good shave. Lovely brush and soap.

PAA.Beach@Holden.480.2018 (2).JPG

I'm digging this scent.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Jim, my black translucent convex was sold to me as a finishing stone. I use it the same I would my Black surgical Ark or my Dota Creek black Ark. Looking for the polished, refined edge to replace the Chrox paste. I have not seen any problems going from a Naniwa 8k or 12k, coticule or Jnat to the Arks. The Convex seems to work faster and better then the other Arks. If the bevel is set right and you go through your progression of stones, the Ark is simply polishing and refining the edge no different the a pasted strop or regular strop. The Convex, however, seems to have less blade surface being polished then the regular Arks. Must be the angle of the blade against the convex stone. I am going to shave tomorrow with a blade off the Convex with no stropping to see how it feels.

If I read this shave report I've forgotten it. How did it feel?

Jarrod has told me in an email that what you're doing and you already know to be right is correct in his view. One doesn't have to first set the bevel with the softer convex Ark. It's okay to just go to the convexed Ark as a finishing stone, okay to have previously used only flat stones. That was news to me, but clearly isn't to you.

I had it wrong. You had it right.

I noticed he's also now selling a white translucent convexed Ark. In my view my flat white translucent Norton is a perhaps a bit finer stone than my black hard Ark (flat from Dan's). Makes me consider buying a convexed translucent finishing stone, but not today.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Friday's shave was decent enough. Finally (with the "350"); more later on the blade, edge, honing, etc.

5-24-19."350"razor.Kit.640.ProPro.MallardChai.JPG

Not a great shave, but okay.

Good software.

SpecialReserve.My..3-18.640.JPG

Good scent.

Happy shaves,

Jim

If I read this shave report I've forgotten it. How did it feel?

Jarrod has told me in an email that what you're doing and you already know to be right is correct in his view. One doesn't have to first set the bevel with the softer convex Ark. It's okay to just go to the convexed Ark as a finishing stone, okay to have previously used only flat stones. That was news to me, but clearly isn't to you.

I had it wrong. You had it right.

I noticed he's also now selling a white translucent convexed Ark. In my view my flat white translucent Norton is a perhaps a bit finer stone than my black hard Ark (flat from Dan's). Makes me consider buying a convexed translucent finishing stone, but not today.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Sure but with the experimentation I've been doing it works much better if you set the bevel on a convex stone.

I convexed a Shapton 1k. Going from this to the convex coticule is the best combination in my experience.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
The edge on my "350" razor is finally acceptable. I honed it again on both sides of the Double Convex Ark and then using dripping water on the black finishing side (both were done days ago).

I wouldn't say this is a great edge! Maybe with more DCA dripping water laps it might improve. For now, I'm done with the razor I think. Not getting rid of it, but just retiring it temporarily I think.

I'm not done with the DCA hone. It will get more work soon. The edge on this black Dovo is just too good to ignore the stone's potential.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Sure but with the experimentation I've been doing it works much better if you set the bevel on a convex stone.

I convexed a Shapton 1k. Going from this to the convex coticule is the best combination in my experience.

I'm going to go through the very long email response I got from Jarrod about this and post some of his comments concerning whether it matters if one uses the soft side of the DCA before using the hard side.

I agree with you (in theory), but I'm not sure Jarrod does. It's going to take me awhile to process his email information.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Yeah whatever Jarrod says he’s obviously the American with the most experience on these things. No german master honers on the forum AFAIK... I’m a fluids guy so I’d say thick pharmacy mineral oil gives you a good $5 experiment to decide which end of the viscosity spectrum you like.

The 350 could have any number of funky metallurgical quirks that nobody could tell you for sure without laying hands on it. IMO, you’ll come up with your own theory a few months from now and find something successful. Putting a problem blade away for a while gives you the best way to measure your own progress in the future.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Yeah whatever Jarrod says he’s obviously the American with the most experience on these things. No german master honers on the forum AFAIK... I’m a fluids guy so I’d say thick pharmacy mineral oil gives you a good $5 experiment to decide which end of the viscosity spectrum you like.

The 350 could have any number of funky metallurgical quirks that nobody could tell you for sure without laying hands on it. IMO, you’ll come up with your own theory a few months from now and find something successful. Putting a problem blade away for a while gives you the best way to measure your own progress in the future.

I really can't say that thick oils such as thick mineral oils haven't worked for me, but I find them weird (subjectively) to use. It feels like too much cushion if that makes sense.

I've tried a bunch of lubricants but I can't say I have any understanding of what lubricants are ideal, or even better, or even worse than others.

Generally I like oils, but I'm using only water so far on my Zulu Grey (only because the manufacturer says to pick oil or water and stick with it); apparently it absorbs some oil if oil is used.

I might try the "350" razor on a heavy oil just for sake of experimentation, but not today. I'm not exactly what I like about some razors as compared to the "350," but it might be the grind or the thickness or something. I like razors which "sing" a bit and the "350" doesn't (so far). I don't see that it has a different grind from razors I prefer, but maybe the grind differences are too subtle for me to see correctly. It could also be that it's a harder metal and thus a bit less smart and less flexible.

Happy shaves,

Jim

What kind of grind does the 350 have? I talked about wedges with Jarrod and he said they will not work with the convex ark.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
What kind of grind does the 350 have? I talked about wedges with Jarrod and he said they will not work with the convex ark.

It is certainly not a wedge nor a near wedge.

proxy.php

I'm not great on seeing grinds exactly, but I'd say the grind is maybe between extra hollow and hollow. I don't think it's a half hollow and it's certainly nowhere near close to quarter hollow.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I'm continuing to count my shaves.

upload_2019-5-25_13-28-21.png

After all, why not?

blackDovo.off-DCA.Kit.640.Valencia.MS30.JPG

Today's Saturday. I shaved with this black Dovo. It was recently honed on the Double Convex Ark 8x3 and is every smidgeon as sharp as I'd want a razor to be. Besides that, it's a smart and comfortable edge.

I'm trying to ascertain why this black Dovo is significantly sharper than my "350" razor. As far as I can tell the grinds are almost or entirely the same. Both are off the Double Convex Ark. Maybe the steels are different? Or one was mistreated?

I really like shaving with this nice Dovo and its very nice edge.

Good brush today. If you haven't tried the MS 30mm silvertip you don't know what you're missing.

PAA.Beach@Holden.480.2018 (2).JPG

A splash is on its way.

Happy shaves,

Jim

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Why two razors of the same size and grind and honed the exact same way can shave so differently is a complete mystery to me so I have just come to accept it and rid myself of the evil one

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Why two razors of the same size and grind and honed the exact same way can shave so differently is a complete mystery to me so I have just come to accept it and rid myself of the evil one

I hear you, but I'm not willing to banish the "350" forever. At least not yet.

SR.Case.640.Christmas.Open.JPG

I am moving it out of my Group of 14 which are the razors I keep in my two razor rolls.

To be in one of these straight razor cases a razor must have scales, be more or less to my liking, and be shave ready. In theory anyway. Well, actually, the group members are moving towards that as an actual situation. Probably all the 14 are, right now, at least shave ready to the standard I had when they were last honed. I want them all to be at the highest standard currently obtainable by me. All have scales. Some I like better than others.

Over time, the group will improve. No rush.

Wade.Post.Sandpaper.Post.Flitz.640.11-28-18.JPG

Towards that end I have today ordered a set of inexpensive, nice looking scales which should fit one of my favorite blades, a blade currently lacking scales. This Wade used to be shave ready and a good shaver. I had to toss the crummy scales which came with it. They finally just were falling apart and couldn't be tightened enough to make the blade safely useable. I have polished by hand the blade and surely dulled the edge.

I could make scales for it but I'm ever so lazy.

upload_2019-5-25_17-30-4.jpeg

Looking at this blade reminds me that I've learned to blunt that point and will do so when I hone the Wade again. I suspect it will have a glorious edge off the Double Convex Ark. This Wade is a razor I want in my Group of 14. It's likely to replace the "350."

Although I consider keeping the "350" because I would like it were it really quite sharp I could also sell it to someone who knows they have skills far beyond mine. There are a few other blades - some of them right sharp - I don't all that much care for. I could sell them, too.

I know more now about what I like.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
When I got to the point that I felt like it would take forever to get to the one
I wanted to shave with, I started culling and hope I get to the point I really want to shave with all the ones I have. My stock keeps improving now as a whole. I spend more on having my favs rescaled and beautified than buying new ones. I’m trying to avoid Mason jars full of razors I never get to. That Wade & Butcher is really fine by the way.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
When I got to the point that I felt like it would take forever to get to the one
I wanted to shave with, I started culling and hope I get to the point I really want to shave with all the ones I have. My stock keeps improving now as a whole. I spend more on having my favs rescaled and beautified than buying new ones. I’m trying to avoid Mason jars full of razors I never get to. That Wade & Butcher is really fine by the way.

Thanks. Can't wait to get that Wade back in service. I agree. Great razor.

You and others have inspired and taught me so much. Not that I don't have a great deal more to learn, but I've come a long ways thanks to everyone's help.

Do you rescale your razors and beautify them yourself or send them out? What do you do with the ones which don't make the cut?

proxy.php

Interesting centerpiece idea: A Mason jar full of lonely razors.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom