What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Sorry. Link.

It's a series of long rides. Ultramarathon level but not races (well, not officially). Unsupported except cyclists are allowed to help each other. 200K. 300K. 400K. 600K.

Most brevet riders ride at least 200 miles a week to train, and ride a lot of centuries.

There are many wrinkles.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Certificate or Ticket I would guess then, Patent just doesn't seem to apply :)

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Certificate or Ticket I would guess then, Patent just doesn't seem to apply :)

I don't know what you're saying here.

The brevet series is just a bicycle sport. No awards to amount to anything. Mostly it's just a good excuse to do ultramarathon rides with friends and see the countryside. Some rides are very long. The longest brevets I did were 375 miles in Florida and North Carolina.

As they say, the easiest hundred mile bicycle ride is the first hundred miles of a two hundred mile ride.

It's also said that after the first hundred miles it doesn't change. You just keep pedaling. Truth is, it does change when it gets dark and you get tired and then are easily chilled. I loved riding at night, but sometimes you get so cold you'd trade all your soaps for another layer of wool.

I have a lot of medals from brevets and other ultramarathon bicycle sports. They mean nothing to anyone other than the other crazies who do that sort of thing. It's the BOSC of bicycle sports. You end up friends with all the other crazies. Nobody gets it except the people who do it.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Jim I know you have tried many boar brushes. I'm curious what brush would you say is the best you have used for bowl-lathering?
I know it may be a hard choice but try to limit it to 2 or 3 choices. I tend to lean toward Omega brushes.

I don't know what you're saying here.

The brevet series is just a bicycle sport. No awards to amount to anything. Mostly it's just a good excuse to do ultramarathon rides with friends and see the countryside. Some rides are very long. The longest brevets I did were 375 miles in Florida and North Carolina.

As they say, the easiest hundred mile bicycle ride is the first hundred miles of a two hundred mile ride.

It's also said that after the first hundred miles it doesn't change. You just keep pedaling. Truth is, it does change when it gets dark and you get tired and then are easily chilled. I loved riding at night, but sometimes you get so cold you'd trade all your soaps for another layer of wool.

I have a lot of medals from brevets and other ultramarathon bicycle sports. They mean nothing to anyone other than the other crazies who do that sort of thing. It's the BOSC of bicycle sports. You end up friends with all the other crazies. Nobody gets it except the people who do it.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Sorry, after reading the link, I was using a French to English dictionary for Brevet. Patent was the first definition, the other two were 2 that seemed most fitting.

Brevets de Randonneurs Français

Since you have the "Brevet Card" , Ticket or Certificate seem likely definitions. I went from A to Z, without mentioning worrisome letters in between :)

After getting out of the Army, I rode about 44 miles 5 out of 7 day, to get to College. For fun? Pthpth! :) Sounds too much like running to me. At least with bicycling the scenery changes at an agreeable rate.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Sorry, after reading the link, I was using a French to English dictionary for Brevet. Patent was the first definition, the other two were 2 that seemed most fitting.

Brevets de Randonneurs Français

Since you have the "Brevet Card" , Ticket or Certificate seem likely definitions. I went from A to Z, without mentioning worrisome letters in between :)

After getting out of the Army, I rode about 44 miles 5 out of 7 day, to get to College. For fun? Pthpth! :) Sounds too much like running to me. At least with bicycling the scenery changes at an agreeable rate.

Also bicycling is social. Plus, even solo bicycles generate a breeze. Plus, downhill is always easy.

I was once a runner and liked it, but I liked cycling much, much more.

Your 44 miles a day isn't trivial by any means. I used a bicycle as my only means of transportation (other than walking) at one time, but I didn't have far to go at all + where I lived it was flat. Had a very large basket for groceries (paperboy basket).

A brevet card is necessary so that the people manning the controls along the route can document that the rider appeared there at the correct time (there's a large window of time). Brevets require proof, and the cards are collected and reviewed (in France maybe; certainly not just locally). If there are errors or omissions on the brevet card you don't get credit for the brevet.

In order to do some of the rides you have to have done others. It's all way too involved, but it's a lot of fun.

Anyway, it's just something I no longer do.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Monday's shave was pretty good.

1-14-19.GD.SFM.Peacock.640.JPG

Not all GD soaps were created equal. This is not CV. Still, pretty good shave. Post shave and lather are not in the league with CV.

Nice kit.

My SR shaves are getting closer and closer to my safety razor shaves (but have a ways to go).

Cremo + Bay Rum (favorites). 480:Small..JPG

Made a hand balm.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member

i-just-felt-like-running.jpg

Sort of a competition with yourself. How hard can I push? How far can I go? How quickly can I do it? Then when it's over, I can do better...

I get it.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
View attachment 943587

Sort of a competition with yourself. How hard can I push? How far can I go? How quickly can I do it? Then when it's over, I can do better...

I get it.

One of my friends in the sport - the king of the crazies; has done RAM several times, etc. - told me that he did the rides to impress people which totally blew my mind. I told him I did the rides to impress myself and that it sort of embarrassed me to have other people know much about them; that totally blew his mind.

YMMV.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
One of my friends in the sport - the king of the crazies; has done RAM several times, etc. - told me that he did the rides to impress people which totally blew my mind. I told him I did the rides to impress myself and that it sort of embarrassed me to have other people know much about them; that totally blew his mind.

YMMV.

Happy shaves,

Jim

One persons Voskhod is anothers GSB. :)

giphy.gif

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Jim I know you have tried many boar brushes. I'm curious what brush would you say is the best you have used for bowl-lathering?
I know it may be a hard choice but try to limit it to 2 or 3 choices. I tend to lean toward Omega brushes.

I don't know anything about bowl lathering.

upload_2019-1-14_20-25-44.png

Maybe this one...

Jade.UsedOnce.Damp.4-18.640.JPG

From Connaught, the Jade is.

9-24-18.S2.ProrasoPro.640.JPG

Maybe the Proraso Pro? (made by Omega)

Really, you're asking the wrong guy, but these are very good Omega brushes. I don't see how they wouldn't be good for bowl lathering, but I only know about face lathering with 'em.

Sorry to not be of help.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Look what I found in my mailbox today...

Parker.Eagle.Japan.SR.1-14-19.640.JPG

Very heavy straight razor. Not sharp. In considerably better shape I think than I expected.

I've figured out that you have to keep buying straights in order to justify buying all the stones you already bought.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

Nice. I was thinking razors and it was a bicycle. I love both razors and bicycles so pictures of either are great. I've long ridden only recumbents, but appreciate a nice upright bicycle.

I love the fenders! Very retro. Also very practical. I had a recumbent with both fenders and a kickstand. It was so much fun getting crap from gear heads. Political correctness comes in many forms and invades all worlds.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Nice. I was thinking razors and it was a bicycle. I love both razors and bicycles so pictures of either are great. I've long ridden only recumbents, but appreciate a nice upright bicycle.

I love the fenders! Very retro. Also very practical. I h

Happy shaves,

Jim
I can go road, gravel, or level trials on this bike. The fenders keep the bike clean even in mud. The frame is steel. Bar end shifters took some getting used to. Came stock with the Brooks saddle. I added the luggage. I'm not into speed. Just sight seeing.

Last edited:

YMMV.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Yeah, in Middle school, I made regionals in UIL Number Sense. I was real proud of that. Only guy that rode to Odessa, IIRC, with the Girls Track Team, that also made regionals. What I did was of no consequence, riding the bus, and swimming at the motel with the girls was what I was so proud of. :)

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
The GD soap I used this morning was applied again after I'd finished shaving, and wiped off a few minutes later with a clean, dry, cotton towel. The soap was not rinsed with water nor did I use witch hazel, nor a splash, nor a moisturizer.

My skin feels pretty good. It's hours later now.

One shave is not enough to know of course, but the veggie GD soap is pretty darn good I think. It's not I believe as good as GD Lusso based soaps, but it is still quite good. I'm planning to enjoy the two veggie soaps I have (a sample) and am getting (a partly used tub).

I'm looking forward to receiving and using and enjoying a huge amount the two tubs of Lusso based soap (one brand new, one scooped) I'll get when they arrive.

I think I like the GD veggie based Elan better than the GD tallow based Sandalwood, Fig, and Musk sample I've tried. That, too, the SF&M, is a good soap, but it's not in the league with Lusso based GDCV IMO.

Not that I've used any of them enough to have a fully informed impression, but that's my impression so far.

My jar of B&M Vespers arrived today, so I can get into using it big time.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom