What's new

Damn Comfortable Shave

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Heres to another 100 pages Jim.

This is quite a thread. Its literally overflowing with information in so many different areas its really an accomplishment.

Congratulations!

View attachment 853177

Thanks, Mike, for all that you've contributed to making this thread so much fun. I suspect something we've talked about might be useful to other guys.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I also polished the metal parts of the razor with Flitz and the non-metal parts with the RainX product Mike @Esox discussed recently, a product which is used to polish glass and, I believe, plastic.

Nice to hear it worked. Its also a protectant so it should be easier to keep clean.

I also polished the metal parts of the razor with Flitz and the non-metal parts with the RainX product Mike @Esox discussed recently, a product which is used to polish glass and, I believe, plastic.
That's interesting. Do you have a link to that Jim?

About fifteen years back the only thing that touched my car's glass was RainX glass-cleaner/rain-repellent. I enjoyed never turning the wipers on. :001_smile

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
That's interesting. Do you have a link to that Jim?

About fifteen years back the only thing that touched my car's glass was RainX glass-cleaner/rain-repellent. I enjoyed never turning the wipers on. :001_smile

Put polishing compound on the toothbrush and use the bristles to polish the crevices. That also works well for knurling on handles.

Once you have it polished to the point you think its enough, wash it with a toothbrush and soap under hot running water.

Plastic is different obviously. I've had good luck using RainX X-Treme Clean. Its a polishes and protects plastics.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Welcome Cal.

Its good stuff. Works great for cleaning headlights and windshields too, and has the regular Rain-X in it too, but I usually apply 2 coats of it after anyway.

It's good stuff. Works great for cleaning headlights and windshields too, and has the regular Rain-X in it too, but I usually apply 2 coats of it after anyway.
:laugh: That bit reminds me of X3's description of me: "If a job's worth doing, it's worth overdoing."

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
upload_2018-1-16_23-16-51.png

Amazon link.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
This morning's shave was the first outing for my newly acquired Schick Type M razor, newly loaded with a new Schick TWIN injector blade. The shave was very good.

stirling-24mm-fan-butterscotch.jpgupload_2018-1-17_9-7-24.png
Homemade shaving oil.

Dickinson's Witch Hazel.jpg SpecialReserveMy.JPG Cremo.jpg

For my first pass, N-S, the razor's setting was on 3. The pass removed a layer of whiskers, but not a layer comparable to the first pass with the ebarbershop Type O clone injector. I had to start somewhere with the Schick Type M, and 3 was an okay starting point. On the first pass there was audible feedback.

On the second pass there was a lot more audible feedback. I upped the razor's setting to 7. This pass, S-N, removed a great deal of stubble. It was far more efficient. There was a bit of razor feel, but not anything bothersome to me.

I also did a R-L jawline pass + my usual neck stuff where I go R-L and in various directions.

upload_2018-1-17_9-12-56.png

Immediately post shave this was not a BBS shave except on my face. However, when I checked about an hour post shave the shave was more towards BBS. There were a number of little areas on my jawline and upper neck where it was only DFS. However, most of the these are areas where I know I can achieve smoothness with any of the razors I use.

In other words, it looks like it may be possible to achieve a BBS, or close, with this kit.

The biggest recent problem areas for me are my lower neck and the right side of my upper neck. Both of these were, in most of their various sub-areas, an hour post shave, either BBS or very close to BBS.

When I say this I'm making quite the statement. I've occasionally had a BBS shave appear an hour or so post shave on occasions when I did not overdo the passes, but most of my BBS shaves have been associated with large amounts of regret and discomfort (or worse).

upload_2018-1-17_9-21-20.png

It is too soon to be anywhere near sure about this razor, but this is one of the best shaves I've had considering my current level of comfort, the level of comfort during the shave, and the level of comfort immediately post shave.

Of course, I don't know if discomfort will appear (itching or bumps or something) later. Also, I can not evaluate the shave's long term closeness. So, I might change my mind, but for now...

upload_2018-1-17_9-23-55.png

This was a very good first outing for the Schick Type M injector loaded with a TWIN blade.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Of all the razors you've so far used, which ones have done the best job regarding closeness and comfort and with which blades?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Of all the razors you've so far used, which ones have done the best job regarding closeness and comfort and with which blades?

I will have a better answer to your question in a few months, assuming I go back and use some of the razors again. Some have not had an adequate trial, but here are the contenders.

DE:
NEW SC, but I'm not sure which blade. Maybe Polsilver. Fatip Piccolo with a Nacet is close to the NEW SC. I'm not sure about either of these DE razors as being in the "best" category, but they might be with more practice.

Slants: Maybe P-BOCS. Not sure which blade. iKon X3 - maybe with a shim, but I've not shimmed it yet.

SE:
AC razors: SS Colonial General with a Proline. ATT SE1 with a Proline. SE1 is a bit better, but both are in the "best" category.

Injectors: ebarbershop Type O clone with TWIN blade. Schick Type M1 with a TWIN blade. Both are in the "best" category.

I would expect the Schick L to be great, too, but I've not tried it yet.

GEM: I have not tried any of the GEM or E-R razors yet.

Hope that helps a little, but it probably doesn't. I need much more experience to be absolutely sure of this stuff. There are a number of razors, good for other guys I'm sure, that I don't think work very well for me. There are also many, many razors I've not even seen. Some razors, the ATT SE2 being an example, may end up being favorites once I find the right blade or get enough practice.

When you add to the mix the question of how easy are the razors to shave with, and also consider comfort, and efficiency, there is a clear winner.

Devices which hold this blade...

upload_2018-1-17_12-18-55.png

So far, that means the ebarbershop Type O clone, and the Schick Type M, but I suspect the Schick Type L will be a big winner, too.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I will have a better answer to your question in a few months, assuming I go back and use some of the razors again. Some have not had an adequate trial, but here are the contenders.

DE:
NEW SC, but I'm not sure which blade. Maybe Polsilver. Fatip Piccolo with a Nacet is close to the NEW SC. I'm not sure about either of these DE razors as being in the "best" category, but they might be with more practice.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Correction: The New SC is close to the Fatip with any blade, and the Old Type is even closer. :001_rolle

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
So if you had to pick one razor and blade right now from all you have used, it would be a Schick and the injector II blades. Interesting considering you have tried a variety of razors.

I have to admit I do like this razor but I've never used, nor even seen a Schick Injector.

The only Stirling badgers I have are the 26 mm ivory handled bulb, the marble handled fan which is, I think, 24 mm, and the butterscotch handled fan, 24 mm.

The 26 mm is very soft and nice. I like it a lot. It is not a lather hog, but it is the hardest of the three to entirely wash out at the end of the shave. Not saying that's a big deal. It feels very luxurious to me. I like everything about it.

I like the 24 mm fan better though. It is also very soft. It's easier to rinse, but not by much. It is not a lather hog. It seems perfect to me for face lathering.

I face lather with all my brushes, and I have no problems with face lathering with any of these Stirling brushes. The differences between all three of them are not so very great.

The marble handled brush is the one I, so far, like the least. It is not yet as soft feeling as the others, and I'm beginning to wonder why it is not. Other than the softness issue it is fine, and I'm not saying it is unacceptable, but there's a difference so far.

I don't really think I'm answering your questions very well at all. None of these brushes are, in my view of them, any thing other than super nice, very functional brushes.

I don't all that much care about handles unless they are super beautiful like the Paladins which I can't afford or justify buying, as long as the brushes work well which all of these do. Not that I want ugly or ungainly handles.

The fan is definitely my favorite. The marble is my least favorite. I'd be fine with any of these three as my daily brush. I'm considering buying another fan; two would be better than one. I use all of these three Stirling badger brushes about equally often.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I appreciate the breakdown Jim. It does actually help me out. I tend to take quite awhile to lather, so the handle can make things difficult for me if it is too small for my hand. For me it’s more of a functional issue than anything else. I love the handles on my captains choice silvertip and stirling badger. Scott mentioned that the CC silvertip has the best designed handle in his opinion. I tend to think it is very close.

I have been face lathering with the stirling badger (hybrid lathering also works well) and bowl or hybrid lathering with the CC silvertip. On my second pass nearly every shave, I almost have to recreate my lather. The lather seems to dry out enough that more hydration than what is on my face with the rinse is needed. I always have my lather bowl out, no matter how I’m lathering, and the brush goes into it bristles down while I shave. This made a significant improvement in my second pass lathers, but hasn’t resolved this fully. When I used to do a third pass I would also have this issue.

I’m going to experiment more with brush soaking (I don’t do this now) to see if that makes a difference. The breakdown you gave of the knots does help me try to determine what I would accomplish by getting a new stirling brush. Thanks for doing that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
You're welcome, Joel.

I always soak the brush in my mug before using it. Synthetic, boar, or badger. I know the synthetics don't need it, but I do it anyway.

I also put water on the puck, and leave it while I'm in the shower. I then pour the little bit of water from the puck's top into a small container (a copper mug lined with tin). I use that water to dip the ends of my brush.

I shake the soaked brush til it's pretty dry. Then I load the brush about 80%. Then, I dip the brush tips in the water just a little bit. My soap can is then turned upside down and the brush's bristles are facing up into the can for the next loading stage so the soap can be gravity assisted down into the brush. Probably silly, but I am amused by it so I do it.

Next, I face lather without initially adding any water to the brush. First, I apply the soap like spackling to my beard, as heavy as I can get it, and work the soap in. I enjoy this. Then, I dip the brush's tips, and use the slightly wet brush to work the soap into my beard and to build a lather. Maybe I do this two or three times. My goal is a rich, creamy, well hydrated, slightly foamy lather.

Every pass's lather is done the same way. It takes time, but I like it.

Sometimes I return the brush to the puck for more soap for the second or third lather. I return to the puck whenever I feel like it. I like a lot of product and a lot of water. My lather is not runny at all.

That's how I do it, but I am not saying it is the best way, or the only way, only that I find it works for me. I try to be consistent with this, and I won't use a soap which does not perform according to this method, or a soap which won't give me the hydrated, creamy, foamy results I want.

During a pass I may decide to add more lather to my face. I want it well lathered.

I use mostly SV, Wickham 1912, and recently Proraso. Captain's Choice works almost well enough, and smells so very good, but it is not as good for my method as the other three because it tends to dry on my face. There are other soaps I use occasionally.

Probably not very helpful, but it's what I do.

Happy shaves,

Jim

This morning's shave was the first outing for my newly acquired Schick Type M razor, newly loaded with a new Schick TWIN injector blade. The shave was very good.

View attachment 853251View attachment 853253
Homemade shaving oil.

View attachment 853254 View attachment 853255 View attachment 853256

For my first pass, N-S, the razor's setting was on 3. The pass removed a layer of whiskers, but not a layer comparable to the first pass with the ebarbershop Type O clone injector. I had to start somewhere with the Schick Type M, and 3 was an okay starting point. On the first pass there was audible feedback.

On the second pass there was a lot more audible feedback. I upped the razor's setting to 7. This pass, S-N, removed a great deal of stubble. It was far more efficient. There was a bit of razor feel, but not anything bothersome to me.

I also did a R-L jawline pass + my usual neck stuff where I go R-L and in various directions.

View attachment 853261
Immediately post shave this was not a BBS shave except on my face. However, when I checked about an hour post shave the shave was more towards BBS. There were a number of little areas on my jawline and upper neck where it was only DFS. However, most of the these are areas where I know I can achieve smoothness with any of the razors I use.

In other words, it looks like it may be possible to achieve a BBS, or close, with this kit.

The biggest recent problem areas for me are my lower neck and the right side of my upper neck. Both of these were, in most of their various sub-areas, an hour post shave, either BBS or very close to BBS.

When I say this I'm making quite the statement. I've occasionally had a BBS shave appear an hour or so post shave on occasions when I did not overdo the passes, but most of my BBS shaves have been associated with large amounts of regret and discomfort (or worse).

View attachment 853263

It is too soon to be anywhere near sure about this razor, but this is one of the best shaves I've had considering my current level of comfort, the level of comfort during the shave, and the level of comfort immediately post shave.

Of course, I don't know if discomfort will appear (itching or bumps or something) later. Also, I can not evaluate the shave's long term closeness. So, I might change my mind, but for now...

View attachment 853266

This was a very good first outing for the Schick Type M injector loaded with a TWIN blade.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I am glad it gave you such a nice shave! It can be difficult to temper the enthusiasm for these injectors, wouldn't you agree? The ever elusive BBS might be in sight!

I found it very interesting that you and I used the Type M at very different settings. My understanding of the TWIN blades is that they make the razor more mild in feel than the Chinese Schicks I am currently using. This may be incorrect, but I think it makes sense since there is no gap between the blades (that I know of), requiring more blade gap to get both blades at the proper angle on the face. With no pressure, it would feel very mild, even at a higher setting. It would also be quite efficient due to the increased gap and having two rigid blades slicing the whiskers in quick succession. No tug and pull with those blades. I could be off base on this, if so please let me know.

Top Bottom