What's new

D. R. Harris

Has anyone used this soap? I ordered it online shortly after I decided to start wet shaving, but apparently they're sending it from England via the moon, because it won't be here until October. It's one of the few things I've bought on amazon based solely on customer reviews, but since I have no idea what in looking for in a soap I just figured I'm going to experiment with as many as I can afford and I gotta start somewhere, right?

But I'm wondering (because I'm sort of obsessing over it I guess) how it performs. Currently I'm using Van Der Hagen and I'm not very happy with it. But I'm still learning how to lather and it seems to be getting better as I learn. How does D. R. Harris lather? Does it lubricate well? I got the Marlborough scent, and from the description I think I'll like it, but smell is a very subjective experience and hard to convey in writing.

FWIW I think I'll be getting some MWF next. Nobody seems to dislike that soap from what I hear.

Top shelf soap all the way. It's a hard triple milled puck that will last forever. It lathers up easily, it's slick and protective for me. I haven't used the Marlborough scent, I have the Arlington but like you said scent is subjective. I think you will really appreciate D.R. Harris. I have used VDH as well and it's ok, but this will be a huge step up from it. Hopefully it arrives sooner than October though.

MWF I haven't used but it's also on my to try list from all the great things that I hear about it.

I agree with the quality of the soap. where did you order from? I think WCS carries most (if not all) of the DRH flavors and thus would ship locally. for the future of course.

I love DR Harris products - they are high-end soaps and excellent performers.

As for Marlborough, it is a darker/smokier scent..kinda reminds me of cedar. I really dig it though (so does my girlfriend!)

I use the Dr. Harris Marlborough soap.

While scent is subjective, as stated above, I do enjoy it. It is not overpowering, just a great subtle cologne scent.

I drip a little water on it while my brush soaks, then load my brush and either bowl lather or face lather.

It builds lather very easily, is slick and provide a nice cushion.

Are you using the VDH soap becasue it's an option at Target? I'm using the same because I bought the starter kit at Target a little over a week ago. Agree that the soap is okay as a way to try this out in an economical fashion, but I think I'll experiment with other soaps before I use this one up. D.R. Harris is on my list, as is Edwin Jagger (on the way from Amazon), and L'Occatain CADE beign picked up from a store this weekend.

Cool! Thanks for the responses guys. I can't wait to try it! I will definitely hit up WCS when I'm ready to purchase that MWF.

+1 to what the others are saying. Most of the US-based vendors like WCS and Bullgoose have Harris and can get it to you quickly. I did a puck of Arlington last summer straight through and it lasted over two months with daily use and a head shave every other day. It just goes on and on. On a per shave basis, it is not expensive at all. Great product.

D.R. Harris Soaps are some of my favorite. All of the scents are great. They produce thick, yogurt-like lather with minimal effort in the bowl or on the face. Their aftershave splashes are also enjoyable and compliment the soaps wonderfully. I'm a fan!

DR Harris soaps are excellent. My favourite one is Windsor. I also use DR harris Sandalwood AS splash and that is fantastic. Plants of North American vendors carry DR Harris. ItalianBarber.com and Fendrihan.com among them. Load like your trying to waste money and enjoy the shaves.

D.R. Harris soaps are bulletproof

Pick any scent and enjoy, knowing that you are using one of the best products out there in the marketplace

For me DR Harris soaps smell great but are only about average in performance. I own their Arlington soap and do use it from time to time. For me, they lack the slickness and protective qualities of a top tier soap. They make a good soap but I can easily list ten to twenty off the top of my head that out perform it by a mile. For me, it's worth owing but it is a good soap but not a great one.

If you're looking for some really excellent soaps:
Martin de Candre
Strop Shoppe SE w/tallow
Petal Pusher Fancies
RazoRock XXX
RazoRock Mudder Focker
RazoRock P.160
Cella
MWF
Barrister & Mann
Calani
Panna Crema
Catie's Bubbles
Tiki
AOS
Los Angeles Shaving Co.

Dfoulk, I'm glad to see MWF on your list as I'm pretty sure that's my next soap purchase. What is AOS? I know from reading some of your other posts that you're a big RazoRock fan, so of the three you listed, which is the best one to try first?

Dfoulk, I'm glad to see MWF on your list as I'm pretty sure that's my next soap purchase. What is AOS? I know from reading some of your other posts that you're a big RazoRock fan, so of the three you listed, which is the best one to try first?

AOS = Art Of Shaving - good stuff, better before it changed its diet though..

-s

Last edited:
MWF actually is a more love it or hate it soap than DR Harris. Most would rate DRH above MWF and there are many who have issues with getting MWF to lather properly. I have no issues lathering MWF but I would say DRH is a cut or two above MWF. I didn't always think that but when I started face lathering I found that DRH was a superior soap but when I was bowl lathering I had issues getting a good slick, cushioning lather. This was also an issue I had with Cade and some RR soaps as well before getting them dialed in on a good face lather.

I think you're saying that MWF is better for those who face(/head) lather, and if that's the case it might work well for me. I'm still getting good at lathering and I have no idea if Van Der Hagen is a good soap for learning, but I'm definitely improving my technique with each shave. At first I was scared of all I had heard about how hard it can be to lather with MWF, but my personality is such that I will probably like it in the end even if it takes some work to get it right. I have a kind of embedded dislike for things that are easy. I cook for a living, and I never do anything the easy way. I like to earn a good result.

Edit: on a second read I clearly got that wrong. You're saying DRH is good for face lathering, not MWF. Everything else I said I stand by.

Last edited:
Used Arlington for the first time today. I'm not a quick DE shaver quite yet so some creams tend to dry out on my face when I take extra time on a pass. This D.R. Harris soap did not dry out or dissipate at all. It remained slick and protective for the entire shave. Love the lemon and fern scent, too. My new favourite shaving product.

MWF actually is a more love it or hate it soap than DR Harris. Most would rate DRH above MWF and there are many who have issues with getting MWF to lather properly. I have no issues lathering MWF but I would say DRH is a cut or two above MWF. I didn't always think that but when I started face lathering I found that DRH was a superior soap but when I was bowl lathering I had issues getting a good slick, cushioning lather. This was also an issue I had with Cade and some RR soaps as well before getting them dialed in on a good face lather.

My sentiment is exactly. I like MWF a lot. I'll be happy with MWF if it's the last shaving soap in the world. But DRH is more enjoyable. It lathers easily and it's just a great soap. Another soap I also like is Synergy HTGM soaps. Over the years, I tried many soaps and these two are my favorites.

Top Bottom