What's new

D. R. Harris

Most likely I will go a little nuts. I'm certainly going to get some MWF, and I do want to try the other D. R. Harris scents. The thing is, these soaps last for up to a year, and I don't want to wait that long to try something new. I'm going to need more space.

Welcome to your new SSAD! :thumbup1:

Thx for nice comments, gents.
All this continued DR Harris chatter must have gotten to me and I pulled out the Windsor bowl this evening, for a fully enjoyable end-of-the-weekend shave!

proxy.php

That is without a doubt the coolest simpson brush I have seen. You sir are lucky man. That a custom?

It's the Queen Elizabeth's Jubilee commemorative brush, a LE Simpsons released last year in Manchurian hair, and that already sold out. It's a pretty cool brush, I do enjoy mine as well.

The shape of the two band on the imitation wood is beautiful.

Oh and I like Dr. Harris soap too :thumbup:

Tried it for the first time yesterday, the lavender scent. Stuff smells fantastic!

I tried Arlington Shave Soap back in the day and I remembered being really impressed with the presentation and the perceived quality. It lathered great but it really lit my face up something fierce. I'd love to find a D.R. Harris soap that worked for me. What does everyone reckon is the best of their soaps for sensitive skin?

I tried Arlington Shave Soap back in the day and I remembered being really impressed with the presentation and the perceived quality. It lathered great but it really lit my face up something fierce. I'd love to find a D.R. Harris soap that worked for me. What does everyone reckon is the best of their soaps for sensitive skin?
They are all the same soap base with different fragrances. I'd say the one with the most subdued scent is the Almond. I'm not sure what was causing your skin sensitivity, though. It's possible the formulation has changed from the last time you tried it.

They are all the same soap base with different fragrances. I'd say the one with the most subdued scent is the Almond. I'm not sure what was causing your skin sensitivity, though. It's possible the formulation has changed from the last time you tried it.

As I just read today in a different thread on this site, not everyone seems to tolerate the almond oil component (Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis [Sweet Almond] Oil).
D.R. Harris has however a “Naturals” shaving soap (Naturals Shaving Soap Refill - https://www.drharris.co.uk/product/naturals-shaving-soap-refill) that might work.

B.

When this thread was started back in 2014, DR Harris was a much different soap than it is today. The current ingredients are: Potassium Palmate, Sodium Tallowate, Aqua, Glycerin, Potassium Stearate, Sodium Palmate, Potassium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Cocoate, Palm Kernel Acid, Parfum, Petrolatum, Sodium Chloride, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Pentasodium Pentetate, Tetrasodium Edta, Limonene, O-Tolyl Biguanide, Hydroxycitronellal, Citronellol, Amyl Cinnamal, Linalool, Ci 77891.

The soap used to be primarily based on tallow. While the current formulation does still contain tallow and stearic acid, it also contains a lot of palm oil and palm kernel oil along with coconut oil. I never tried the original version, but the newer formulation rates poorly in my shave den.

As I just read today in a different thread on this site, not everyone seems to tolerate the almond oil component (Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis [Sweet Almond] Oil).
D.R. Harris has however a “Naturals” shaving soap (Naturals Shaving Soap Refill - https://www.drharris.co.uk/product/naturals-shaving-soap-refill) that might work.

B.
Harris Naturals is an entirely different soap formulation, which is vegetable-based (not that there is anything wrong with that, but it is not the same as the other current Harris shaving soaps).

Harris Almond soap does not have the typical Italian almond fragrance, like Cella, that some people react to. People who react to Cella are usually reacting to the fragrance ingredient benzaldehyde, not to sweet almond oil. Sweet almond oil has very little scent of its own. It is the same oil as comes from the almonds that we eat. The bitter almond oil has the typical marzipan scent (mostly from natural benzaldehyde). The bitter almond is a different plant than the sweet almond.

Harris Almond soap is almost scentless, with a very faint smell of almond blossom, not marzipan. The Harris Almond cream, OTOH, has more of the typical almond scent.

Skin sensitivities are very individual. May be best to try it and see.

Last edited:
I placed an order for a pick of Cyril L Salter soap, supposedly very similar to the DR Harris. I’m hopeful this will work for me.

I’m hopeful, I just need to find something that doesn’t irritate my skin. A good scent is a plus. I shaved with MWF last night and got a bit of irritation, which is odd, because I remember it was one of the few soaps that worked for me.

I‘ve been using Tabac for so long, maybe face just needs time to acclimate to something different. We’ll see. Thanks for the advice, everyone.

Top Bottom