What's new

Cutting your own hair

If you just want to buzz it down all you need to do is pick a guard or fixed blade for your chosen length and get to it. If you want to taper the back and sides....we’ll that’s another level. Some guys can do it themselves but that’s not something I could ever do on myself. I’ve known guys that can give themselves a flattop that looks great.

I went to barber school and have a license. I can give someone a else a straight razor shave but when I’m looking in a mirror everything is backwards and can’t straight razor shave myself, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I'll trim up over the ears with scissors, and maybe cut the front or back a bit between haircuts. Mom used to use the dog clippers on me when I was a kid...one time she put a bowl over my head and gave me a bowl cut...she thought it was good...I didn't.

Finally went to the barber this afternoon. Got a nice scissor haircut, straight razor shave on the back of the neck and over the ears, then hair tonic rubbed in and hair combed along with talc on a brush for the neck and face. Doesn't get any better than that.

If you just want to buzz it down all you need to do is pick a guard or fixed blade for your chosen length and get to it. If you want to taper the back and sides....we’ll that’s another level. Some guys can do it themselves but that’s not something I could ever do on myself. I’ve known guys that can give themselves a flattop that looks great.

I went to barber school and have a license. I can give someone a else a straight razor shave but when I’m looking in a mirror everything is backwards and can’t straight razor shave myself, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You just need a bit of practice for straight razor shaving yourself. You're already ahead of the curve with knowing the blade angle and pressure...and skin stretching.

Watch videos on youtube. And set up three mirrors so you can see the back of your head.

I hope you bought the professional grade clippers, otherwise the blades might not align right. Good luck.

when I had hair I used to do the tapered thingy with my Wahl electric trimmer. There were three guards I'd use, 2, 3 and 4. The #2 I would use for the back up to and including the occipital area of my head (about even with my ear tops), then #3 for the sides and #4 for the top. Never had a complaint. I'd do it on the deck during warm weather and in the garage in cold, no clean up issues, took about 10 minutes.

Now I do three passes with a DE razor and voila.

Your question is covered pretty well here:
The DIY Haircut

That is a good thread.

I have often thought that one might not want to admit that one cut one's own hair, because it might put one at the risk of mockery by others, regardless of how good it looks to one in the mirror!

My general tip would be start with a trim and not an overall haircut, and to start by leaving it too long, rather than too short. I think it takes practice--or at least gets easier/better with practice--but is not so hard to do. No dis to the professional barbers out there. I am sure there are nuances I could never master on myself or another person.

I just started and this is my 3rd time. Believe me, it gets easier.

Clippers on #2 for sides and back of the head and # 4 for the top.

Just do keep the additional mirrors on hand, because the 1st time I left some long hairs on the top of my neck, that looked like a dying mullet, awful I tell ya!!!

Enviado desde mi moto g(6) plus mediante Tapatalk

My first try came out pretty good. I used #3 and #4 on the sides - along with the ear-trimming guides- and #6 on top. I've paid good money for worse cuts. I'm glad I gave it a try.

I just bought hair clippers and plan to try to cut my own hair this weekend. Does anyone do it? Any tips?

Good job. That's about what I do as well. It was pretty easy the first time I did it and now I hardly even have to think about it.

As you found out, it's not hard and you don't have to settle for buzz cuts or flat top styles. You can have most any style. There are a few "rules" and watching YouTube videos is helpful.

You can also give yourself a "clean up" when you don't want a full hair cut just by cutting around your ears and neck. It looks like you have had a full haircut until more time passes by. It's helpful to use scissors for the very front and to make small cuts and to do it with just the tips of the scissors at a 45 degree angle (see YouTube videos). This just makes sure you don't have that bowl cut look or that buzz cut look.

It's nice not to have to pay for haircuts at a "salon" or to have schedule appointments, no driving, etc.

Wahl with a #3 adapter all the way around. Do it in my garage and use a leaf blower to blow the cut hair into my wife's garden next to the driveway (she doesn't know but it keeps the mess down in the house). Come inside and use my Philips rechargeable clippers to clean up the back of my neck and any stragglers left behind the ears.

Haven't paid for a haircut in 15+ years, but have paid for a few straight shaves at the local small barbershop.

Ive thought about doing it. I use a full size pair of clippers for trimming my beard. My only concern would be the back on my neck. I would think it would be difficult to both hold a mirror and be precise enough to get a straight neckline.
Ive thought about just making my wife do it but every time I bring it up, she gets all nervous that she is going to mess it up, so I stick to going to a barber.

Ive thought about doing it. I use a full size pair of clippers for trimming my beard. My only concern would be the back on my neck. I would think it would be difficult to both hold a mirror and be precise enough to get a straight neckline.
Ive thought about just making my wife do it but every time I bring it up, she gets all nervous that she is going to mess it up, so I stick to going to a barber.

It depends on how long your hair is. If it's fairly short then the neck line is largely however your hair naturally grows so if you put on the correct guard and cut you hair (blindly) the neck area will be done correctly automatically.

As far as hair growing down your neck, my shaving set includes a smaller, battery powered "trimmer" and you just run that up and down your neck (looking into a mirror since it has no guards). The neckline though is largely done automatically when you are cutting your hair with the electric clipper/guard.

It depends on how long your hair is. If it's fairly short then the neck line is largely however your hair naturally grows so if you put on the correct guard and cut you hair (blindly) the neck area will be done correctly automatically.

As far as hair growing down your neck, my shaving set includes a smaller, battery powered "trimmer" and you just run that up and down your neck (looking into a mirror since it has no guards). The neckline though is largely done automatically when you are cutting your hair with the electric clipper/guard.
I always just get a #2 all over and get my sideburns blended into my beard at a #4, so that's no big deal. The back of the neck concerns me though. I usually get it rounded and get it shaved.
If I had never gone to a real barber and discovered the neck shave, I'd probably be fine.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Resuscitating a thread, appropriately in The Barbershop forum. I usually do my own haircuts and go to the barber after a few self haircuts just to get it shaped up and to help keep her in business. 🙂

The weather got really warm really fast. I had long hair and planned on cutting it when it warmed up. Last Sunday was when it got really warm. Yesterday I pulled out the clippers. Nice and short now with enough hair in the wastebasket to make a wig. Feels so much better.

Top Bottom