What's new

Cutting the knot out of a Semogue 610?

Anyone had any success cutting out a knot from a Semogue handle? I have a 610 and I kind of acquired a LE boar right after I had ordered it. Needless to say I really like the blue/acrylic of the LE so I don't really need another acrylic handled boar brush. I was thinking about maybe trying to cut out the knot and use it in one of my own handles but didn't want to do it if someone may have had a bad experience.

I haven't done this, but I had some ideas that maybe some others have done or you could try:

- take an exacto knife and stick in down along side the knot into the handle and carefully run it around the perimeter of the knot to break-up some of the glue. Then maybe try grasping the full knot and carefully twisting to see if it will pop out.

- put the whole brush into the freezer and let it sit in there over night. The next day, maybe try giving the handle a tap and try and "crack" the glue and pop the knot out.

- if you don't care about the handle, you could cut through it with a Dremel cutting wheel, or drill through the bottom of the handle to loosen the knot's epoxy.

I'm not too sure of any other non-desctructive methods.

Seems like a shame to kill a perfectly good knot. You could sell that 610 to a happy buyer and instead fix up one of those old lucite handles you see on the 'bay.

Or Rudy could do some brush surgery for you and keep the knot intact.

Last edited:
I want to kill the handle not the knot heh. I want to use the knot for a brush handle of my own making. The problem I have is that not a single boar knot that you can buy (just the knot) measures up to a Semogue knot. So I want the knot in a different handle so it doesn't look so similar to my LE boar.

The problem I have is that not a single boar knot that you can buy (just the knot) measures up to a Semogue knot. So I want the knot in a different handle so it doesn't look so similar to my LE boar.

+1

Will Semogue sell knots only? Guessing not, but has the question been presented to them?

I do not recommend this to anyone. That is hardcore in there lol. I have cut most of the bottom part of the handle away, but it is one solid piece. I cut out a knot from a Vie-Long brush I had (I wanted to shorten the loft so I figured I would just DIY) and that popped out SUPER easy. The Semogue though is not a good idea to do this to. It is gonna take me a while with just a dremel (hoping to find a grinder or belt sander on sale for black Friday this year).

It is doable, but it is probably not worth it IMHO. Did anyone try and contact Semogue? If not I may try, I just don't like being rude and using Google Translator to talk to people in the proper languages. And I am DEFINITELY not fluent enough in Spanish to attempt that.

Actually, you need to speak Portuguese to them. If you find contact info, I'd be happy to speak to them for you.

Oh dang, see, this is why I didn't message them lol. I'll look into it maybe tomorrow, I have my work cut out for me (pun intended) to finish off cutting this knot out since I already cut a bunch of the handle away I am kind of committed heh.

I spent some time looking, and this is all I can find. Looks a little promising...I do not speak Portuguese, or Spanish well enough to contact them.

Company Name: Fáb. de Pincéis Semogue
Contact Person:
Address: R. Estaç. 484 S.Félix Marinha
Zip: 4405-338
(SÃO FELIX DA MARINHA, SÃO FELIX DA MARINHA)
Telephone: 227620140

Top Bottom