What's new

Cutting one's own hair

Hello everyone,

Are there people here who cut their own hair? If so, what equipment do you have? How much have you spent on said equipment? What are the pros and cons you can think of to cutting one's own hair?

I used to when I was in the service. $10 a week well saved. The back is extremely tricky if you don't have a good spatial perception and a steady hand. A lot of guys got caught "barracks cut" because the back was lopsided.

However, I don't believe a self cut would be obtainable with anything other than electric clippers. I find Wahl to be the best value.

Don't buy cordless clippers. They either eat through disposable batteries or don't hold a charge.

Just know your first two or three are going to take a lot of time to get right, but once you get the hang of it the back will go much better.

Though this is all a fade technique I used, it would probably be much simpler to do a buzz cut.

I bought a Panasonic wet/dry trimmer, and keep my head at a buzz cut of 3 mm. It works well without problems, and with the "wet" feature I can trim in the shower before I turn the water on, and then rinse the bits of hair away down the drain.

While it doesn't quite hold the charge they way it used to, it certainly lasts long enough for a trim or three, and I let ir recharge after each trim.

If/when it stops working, I plan on looking for another wet/dry trimmer (cordless).

Might be better to just get your hair cut less frequently and touch it up at home. It's easier to cut someone else's hair than your own. Especially kid's hair. They are not usually too picky.

Easiest cut is all clippers like the buzz cut. No style. Other easier ones would be a crew cut or Caesar cut. Fades, tapers, etc. would be more difficult.

Pros:
save money
save time

Cons:
only simple styles
difficult to do the back and have it look right
if you mess up, have to cut more off or live with it
makes a mess
have to buy equipment

Equipment needed:
Cost varies a lot depending on quality & construction

Corded clipper w/set of guards
Corded trimmer w/set of guards
Barber combs
Decent hair cutting shears
Decent thinning/blending shears
Razor to clean back of neck
Good mirror to see the back
Spray bottle of water
Blow dryer

Wahl sells a few different haircut kits. You would have to add better shears and the rest of the equipment to that.

Pretty easy if your hair is bristly and you go for a simple hairstyle. I would imagine really hard if you have soft hair.

Mine is the former, and so all I really need as the cutting equipment is just a set of clippers with two specific guards -- the rest don't get used. A standard sized clipper head is a must; don't get the narrow ones. A beginner may want clippers with adjustable head.

You will also need a small mirror in hand that, in combination with your bathroom mirror, gives you a decent angle of the sides and to some degree the back. Contrary to what people think, the back isn't that hard, provided you have a fairly evenly shaped head. Go by feel and "color", whereby longer areas are darker and shorter areas are lighter.

Tip that makes people laugh: when you are done, vacuum your head. It will keep the drain clearer when showering.

Pros:
  • Once you get good at it, you'll be happier than you would with inconsistent barber cuts.
  • Save tons of money.

Cons:
  • Nothing, really. Maybe having to clean up in the bathroom afterwards. I just vacuum.

Cost (for me):
  1. Clippers, the costs of which are variable, $20-50. Just go with normal [not the "fade" specific clippers] Wahl, Andis or Oyster and you'll be fine.
  2. Blade guards, usually with the clippers. I bought clippers without the guards, so a set of compatible guards was $10.
  3. Mirror, probably $2-8.
  4. Blade oil. Mine came with the clippers, but re-fill costs $5-10.
  5. Blade cleaner. I use Andis Blade Care, $10-15.
  6. Stainless steel ... sink strainer(?) to use over the drain to catch the hair in the shower, $1-2.

I started cutting my hair when I got a flattop. I just maintained the sides since I wasn't confident enough to take the top down. However that required a lot of trips to the barber shop as well as time and money. Now I'm sporting a high and tight fade. I'm able to maintain this haircut myself. Regarding equipment, I have the Oster Fast Feed clippers, Andis Profoil, spray lubricants, neck duster, mirrors (behind and in front), cape, and a barber chair. The clippers was a Christmas gift last year and all the other supplies in total was about $100, except for the chair which was $600. I have found having the chair to be a big advantage, although not a requirement. I was paying $20/mo going to the barber shop. So after a little over two years, I will recoup the money I spent. I cut my hair once or twice a week so I consistently have the same length versus hearing, "must have just gotten a haircut" and it's easier to maintain cutting it because all I'm really doing is cleaning it up. After watching YouTube videos on how to cut your hair, I'm surprised at how easy it actually is and how quickly I've gotten pretty good at it without any formal training.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have been using cordless Babyliss XTP Super Clippers for three years now. They have a range of combs including some for tapering and cost around £60. I find them to be fine as long as I keep it simple, I do a number 1 at the sides and back and a 3 on top. I use the clippers with no guard to tidy up around the ears and then a DE to shave the back of my neck. I kneel by the bath and lean over it, or stand in the shower before I turn the water on, to trim my hair once per week and simply wish the clippings away. The clippers require monthly maintenance involving removing the blades, removal of hair debris, and a drop of mineral oil which is easy to do. They still hold their charge and I get 3 or 4 cuts between charges. I used to spend about £10 per month at the barber so they have more than paid for themselves but the main thing I get from using them is a sense if independence and self reliance.

I cut my hair all the time, and I do a terrible job at it. I used to use electric buzz cutter, but I lost it in a recent move. So I just cut my hair by hand, and save the money and the hassle of getting it cut out in town. I don't like to wait in lines, and tired of the ordeal. Sometimes I feel like the hair cutters are intentionally making me wait my turn out of jeolousy on their part. I'm not going to let them have that power over me anymore, so i cut my hair myself.

Yeah, it doesn't look great, but after I throw in a lot of Murray's pomade, you honestly can't even tell. In fact, i'm complimented after I cut my hair. If they saw what my hair looked like before I threw in the pomade, they would laugh. My hair is completely uneven and I look like I got a hack job. But again, Murray's disguises all that. It's great stuff. I must save thousand a year on hair cuts by doing it myself.

I started cutting my own hair in college almost 20 years ago and the main motivation at the time was money. My hair grows fast and I should get it cut about every two or three weeks. For me any nervousness I had about cutting my own hair was gone once I realized that at the very worst I would have to live with a bad haircut for two or three weeks max before I could pay someone to fix it. So far I haven't had to pay anyone to fix a haircut.

To date I've spend around $150. My first set of Wahl clippers cost me around $30 and I used them for eight or nine years before replacing it with the same Color Pro Hair Clipper Kit. I also bought a #10 and #12 clipper guides when I switched from a buzz cut to keeping my hair longer on top and tapering the sides. Last year I upgraded to a more powerful set of Wahl clippers brings things up to about $150 total.

For me the biggest pro initial was cost savings. Even a cheap haircut cost me $15 with tip and half the time it looked horrible. Over time I learned how to cut my hair through trial and error and consistently have a better haircut then I believe I could get with a barber. The downside / con for me is my own laziness. I tend to put it off sometimes and stretch my haircuts because I can "do it tomorrow" were I would just show up to an appointment if I had one pre-made with a barber.

I started cutting my own hair / head shaving 9-22-2014. Nothing like the feeling. In the summer it's cool and comfortable. In the winter hats / knit caps, and hoodies slide over and off with ease. Like a good shave X 10.

I've been cutting my own hair for a bit more than a decade. I haven't been blessed with the most lush of manes, so a simple buzz cut is all I need. The Wahl Color Pro wired clipper has been outstanding for me, which I think I paid a lofty $18 for. I got the matching beard trimmer as well for touchups and beard trimming. It's not nearly as good, but gets the job done. I used to use a tri-fold mirror to see the back and a comb to cut straight across, but have the wife do it now.

I use a Robocut and Remington clippers. It's not that hard, really, but it does take some time and care. I usually wear a side-part or sometimes a shag, it just depends on the season and/or my mood.

Last edited:
Hate my hair, light, no body, etc. Most of my 60 years a buzz was it. Every 2-3 weeks I slap a #1 on the clippers and mow it off. No way I'm paying today's prices for something takes two minutes at home

The joy of going to a real barber on a very regular basis cannot be overstated! You develop a rapport and a trust with a hair care and hair style professional who learns your style and the peculiarities of your hair's growth and lay patterns. I see my barber ever 2 weeks to keep my pompadour in perfect working order and I eagerly look forward to every successive visit. Plus, your barber can (and should) recommend appropriate hair products for your style, hair care, skin/scalp care, etc. Furthermore, even barbers do not cut their own hair... they seek other barbers!

Cheers!

I have been cutting my own hair for 10+ years. I shave on a 1 setting every few weeks. Used to use the cheaper clippers but they all lasted 6-12 months. I bought an Oster 76 for around $100 about 10 years ago and it is still going strong and feels like it will last forever.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
The joy of going to a real barber on a very regular basis cannot be overstated! You develop a rapport and a trust with a hair care and hair style professional who learns your style and the peculiarities of your hair's growth and lay patterns. I see my barber ever 2 weeks to keep my pompadour in perfect working order and I eagerly look forward to every successive visit. Plus, your barber can (and should) recommend appropriate hair products for your style, hair care, skin/scalp care, etc. Furthermore, even barbers do not cut their own hair... they seek other barbers!

Cheers!
I agree, at least I would if I still had enough hair. I am so thin on top that the best option for me is to embrace it and opt for a short clipper cut which requires no barbering skill and which I can do at home. It is quite liberating in an odd sort of way, no longer fussing with it. I like the feeling of self reliance but miss the social aspect of the barber visit.

I miss a good old fashioned barbershop, but after who knows how many bad versions of a flattop over the years, I started doing it myself with my wife's help. Did that for years until my receding hairline made a flattop impractical. Made the switch to a buzz cut, no comb attachment, just lay those clippers flush with my scalp and let 'er rip. Saving so much on hair cuts, hair product, shampoo, and time, I think I can justify to the CFO (aka my wife) the expenditure of another straight razor.

One can hope. 🤣

Cut my own hair as well. The first few attempts were plain terrible and had to buzz it all off. The hardest part is learning to fade and blend, especially the back. I use clippers on the back and sides and scissors on the top and to blend (keep the top a lot longer). Still occasionally mess up and have to buzz it all off.

Cordless clippers aren't great but they are more convenient when dealing with the back of the head.

Something like a Flowbie or Robocut makes it very easy. My Robocut cost about 100 dollars and has paid for itself over the years, using it about once a month. I do use Remington clippers with it, only because it lets me get closer on the sides.

Hello everyone,

Are there people here who cut their own hair? If so, what equipment do you have? How much have you spent on said equipment? What are the pros and cons you can think of to cutting one's own hair?
Use to use electric Clippers but was annoyed of having to shampoo it and just have it on my head in general. I could always cut it, but then tried the idea of shaving and never looked back. In terms of cost it you will definitely save a lot more money compared to going to the shop. Least for me.

Weekly or even biweekly cut is what? $10-$15? I spent $35 for my DE and $10-$20 for razor blades and an After shave and moisturizer for head and face. That'd be almost $50, and the only thing restocked is the aftershave balm and moisturizer which is less than $8, and that's only once every 2-3 months. I also shave my head daily and face every other day.

Results: $50-$80 initial purchase; $30 restock for self cut/shave. ($111 first year but $30 afterward).
Pay for cuts:$240-$300 for a year of haircuts.

These are estimates and guess as i haven't gotten a hair cut in over a year and I notice people get em about 2-3x a month. Everyone's different and my math is as on point as Scott Steiner.

Top Bottom