What's new

Current Production Naniwa Super Stones (Plastic Base Included)

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
When the 12k Kagayaki first came out, it had the same product numbers on the side as the 12k super stone. Might have been called the specialty stone at that time, I can't remember.
People that I know who had both said they were the same stone.
Now the Kagayaki has a new product number.
I have not heard anyone say they can tell the stone is harder. I won't ever buy another 10mm Nani so I won't have the chance to test. I have a hard time believing that Nani reformulated that 1 stone all by itself. But, who knows?

The new (current) Super Stones are 'supposed' to have the newer formulation that we saw with the Specialty Stones when they first came out.
In theory - less prone to warping, more consistent, yadda yadda yadda.
In reality, I think the Specialty Stones warped more.

Then Nani bounced back to the Super Stone Moniker...
The 10mm Super Stones still warp though.

FWIW - I have a 20mm 12k and it has not warped 'yet'.
I have had several sets of Nani Super/Specialty stones - it is not unusual to find one dry, one slick, one baked too much so 1/16" has to be lapped off, another with a front and back that feel different, and so on.
I have one of the 10mm 12k Super Stones that warps like a banana and all sorts of weird shapes when it gets wet. I was thinking of gluing it to something like marble to keep it flat. Any suggestions as to what type of glue to use?

I was thinking of gluing it to something like marble to keep it flat. Any suggestions as to what type of glue to use?

7CE49D7B-950A-4F44-BDAF-44F390379B7F.jpeg
I have a plastic base from an old blue 1k Naniwa you are welcome to. Please pm me with the details.

Last edited:
I have one of the 10mm 12k Super Stones that warps like a banana and all sorts of weird shapes when it gets wet. I was thinking of gluing it to something like marble to keep it flat. Any suggestions as to what type of glue to use?
I have the same stone with the same issue. I soaked it in warm water for 5 minutes and lapped it with a DMT 325 . So far no issues but I just got through doing this a few weeks ago. It appears to be working but who knows. These stones are excellent but they also are strange and I can’t find any place, other than here for any information.

Its the last stone in your progression so if it puts the finish you like on your razor just roll with it. When it needs lapping do it at the same time every time you lap it meaning always before use or always after. I would lap it after 4-5 uses or more. My stone is the thicker one but thats what I do.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I have the same stone with the same issue. I soaked it in warm water for 5 minutes and lapped it with a DMT 325 . So far no issues but I just got through doing this a few weeks ago. It appears to be working but who knows. These stones are excellent but they also are strange and I can’t find any place, other than here for any information.
I epoxied my 12k naniwa to a ceramic tile with JB Weld, then glued a piece of neoprene to the bottom to keep it from sliding around. I lap mine with a 600 DMT. Very nice finisher.
20221014_225413[1].jpg

~doug~

My 3000 grit super stone on the plastic base came in yesterday. Great stone. Feels a little different than the stand-alone version…

Sometimes mine is a little warped, and sometimes it stays perfectly flat. If there's a warp, I'll just soak it for a few min and roll with it which seems to help. A lot of the time I don't even check/care and haven't ran into any issues.

Sometimes mine is a little warped, and sometimes it stays perfectly flat. If there's a warp, I'll just soak it for a few min and roll with it which seems to help. A lot of the time I don't even check/care and haven't ran into any issues.
I’ve been honing razors for over 10 years and I have honed a lot of them. What Kyle89 said is spot on. Thats how I use my 12k which doesn’t have a base. I only hone my 12k when everything stuck to it from prior use starts leaving scratches I can see with my loupe.

Top Bottom