What's new

Curious if anyone has used a clear shave gel?

My beard game is weak to at best but I'm still going to do no shave November for the spirit of it. I'll trim to keep it clean and curious if anyone has trimmed with a clear gel or oil to get a better trim.

Justin

Never tried a clear gel, but I have tried Shave Secret oil. It worked OK, but was kind of gummy and would clog the razor. Also I missed using the brush. I just stop short of the lines for the first pass or two, then use the residual slickness and a little extra water to clean up the lines at the end of the shave.

Good luck with the beard. You may want to wait a while before establishing the lines, so you can a better idea of your growth patterns and where they will work best for you. Some guys suggest waiting a month or more even up to 2 or 3 months.

I've used Dr Carver's Shave butter, shave secret oil, and cremo (both original and cooling) all of which are clear, latherless products. Out of all of them I liked the Dr Carver's the most but it doesn't last as long as the other two and requires a monthly subscription or high shipping. The shave secret is a fantastic product for quick shaves and clean up work, like edging a beard for example. My skin just doesn't get along with oils so it didn't work for me. Cremo works and smells great plus lasts forever and is readily available in stores. The downside is it leaves my skin very greasy.

Ive tried Neutrogena shave gel which is clear and doesnt lather and it works well. Its kind of weird at first if you are used to lather but its slick and it works well.
I maintain a stubble beard with a close crop neckline and its kind of nice to no have lather because you can see exactly where you are shaving.

Top Bottom