What's new

Cryogen is not a game

So today I came home to a delivery from maggard razors. I had ordered some palmolive classic cream, maggard synthetic brush, and samples of proraso red and chiseled face cryogen. Unfortunately the box had sat in 80 degree heat for almost 5 hours so the proraso was like a liquid. Luckily the cryogen and palmolive were fine. So I decided to use my 1962 gillette tech loaded with a crystal razor(3rd shave with this blade), the synthetic maggard razor brush, and cryogen.(Side note: the maggard brush is amazing! super soft, holds tons of water and soap, and has an awesome feeling). I never have really used menthol soaps except for a sample of dapper dragon ice wyrm. I liked how the menthol had a cooling sensation so I decided to go all in with trying cryogen. Upon opening the sample, you get hit with a minty menthol, Smelled exactly like vicks. Atleast to me it did. I put some in the bowl and began a lather. I put the lather on my face and as soon as I set the brush down I could feel my skin burning with menthol and my eyes began to tear. After the first pass I lathered up again and this time my face was numb, as a person who has only been wet shaving for 4-5months this was tricky. I had to rely on audio feedback from the razor to even tell if I was shaving. After three passes(had tears in my eyes the whole time) I did a cold water splash and I'm not kidding..... I think I know what frostbite feels like. The soap was outstanding and my skin is super soft and I got a bbs shave out of it. If you have never tried this soap I recommend it! Just be prepared to get hit in the face with a blizzard and lose feeling for a good 10 minutes after the shave!

I like Cryogen but it can be a bit much. I started superlathering it with GFT Eucalyptus cream with wonderful results. It tones down the burn just enough that my eyes and nose stay relatively dry while still giving that ice fire feeling like no other. It's also great for ice water shaving. Living in the desert, Cryogen and ice water shaves are what I plan on doing the entire summer. And the post shave feel of any CF soap is on par with just about anything else out there. Don't forget to follow it up with the AS!

I don't know about this one. Just didn't sound like fun.

Sometimes in the summer, I enjoy a good menthol kick from an AS like Fine's Snakebite or Krampert's Frostbite. Not so sure I want to feel like that while I'm shaving.

I don't know about this one. Just didn't sound like fun.

Sometimes in the summer, I enjoy a good menthol kick from an AS like Fine's Snakebite or Krampert's Frostbite. Not so sure I want to feel like that while I'm shaving.
It is definitely an acquired taste. I could not use it everyday, but after a hot summer day, it can be very enjoyable.

Haven't tried Cryogen, but I have a few Stirling Glacials. Very nice after yard work on a hot summer day. Even have the matching splashes for an after slap of cold. And yes, the Glacials can bring tears too.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Osage Rub is about as cold as it gets around here ... will pass on the super-menthol-crystallated.

AA

I love the heck out of Cryogen, not only is it perfectly mentholized (is that a word?) it smells great and makes a great lather. Yes, it is intense enough to make shoving your face in a snow bank feel warm but the soap itself is a great soap. I am only half joking when I say the tears are a great way to add a little extra moisture to the lather.

I recently tried a sterling glacial soap (Spearmint) and it is nothing like cryogen in intensity, although it has a wonderful real spearmint scent and the added depth of a spearmint "burn" or "chill" which ever it is. I suspect that Yeti Snot is NOT as intense either since I have heard some folks who have used both say the Yeti isn't as chill. If the Yeti were colder, there would be no doubt.

**User note** the soap tends to get mushy if left wet from loading with a wet brush (something to do with the amount of menthol crystals or something like that) so the maker suggests leaving the cap off until dry. I just stuck a paper towel in the tub (not pressed down, just in it)and dropped a desiccant packet on the towel before screwing the lid on tight for storage.

As for me, I am happy I have a tub. I suspect it will last a long time because I use it less than daily but I do enjoy it a lot.

Ordered a tub of Cryogen based solely on this thread. Thanks! I love menthol...
You won't be disappointed. If you like menthol than this is a must have. It also provides great slickness and cushion. Next on my list is PAA frostbyte since I have heard it is brutal also.

As for stirling I have yet to try one of their products, But I they have a great reputation and I will be trying it soon.

I love the heck out of Cryogen, not only is it perfectly mentholized (is that a word?) it smells great and makes a great lather. Yes, it is intense enough to make shoving your face in a snow bank feel warm but the soap itself is a great soap. I am only half joking when I say the tears are a great way to add a little extra moisture to the lather.

I recently tried a sterling glacial soap (Spearmint) and it is nothing like cryogen in intensity, although it has a wonderful real spearmint scent and the added depth of a spearmint "burn" or "chill" which ever it is. I suspect that Yeti Snot is NOT as intense either since I have heard some folks who have used both say the Yeti isn't as chill. If the Yeti were colder, there would be no doubt.

**User note** the soap tends to get mushy if left wet from loading with a wet brush (something to do with the amount of menthol crystals or something like that) so the maker suggests leaving the cap off until dry. I just stuck a paper towel in the tub (not pressed down, just in it)and dropped a desiccant packet on the towel before screwing the lid on tight for storage.

As for me, I am happy I have a tub. I suspect it will last a long time because I use it less than daily but I do enjoy it a lot.
Honestly when I heard people say that this stuff makes you tear up, I thought no way. As soon as the brush covered my face with cryogen.... well it looked like i was crying. Great product, with great results, and a name that explains what happens when you use it! Also I believe mentholized is my new favorite word:thumbup:

Top Bottom