What's new

Critique my soap list

So Ive drawn up a list of soaps that interest me. For this purchase Ive excluded SV soaps just to see if Im missing out on any good USA based artisans. Welcome any comments
that will help me drop a few names from the list below, and settle on around 6-7.
I generally prefer bright, airy, cooling, citrusy scents...not heavy, complex ones. Please don't suggest any other brands as it took me lot of research to zero in on these.

B&M
Le Grand Chypre
Cologne Russe
Cheshire
Seville
Cool Reserve

Whole Kaw
Fern Concerto Menthol (donkey milk/tallow)
Fougere Parfaite (Vegan base)

Ariana & Evans
L'Orange Vert

Menthol
Margaritas in the Attic
Snakebite
Cryogen

Last edited:
In keeping on your list the A&E soap base is by far my favorite of the US brands. They also make The Club brand. I'm waiting on the Orange d'Vert to arrive today or tomorrow. I have the SoCal Hipster which is a Pineapple multiple citrus scent that's fantastic in performance and scent. Also have the NYC (a Pasture Pharmacy exclusive). To me and YMMV but the A&E base soaps are in my top 3 soaps.

Im having a hard time settling on just 2 B&M soaps....thats my limit.

Cheshire is definitely on as I love earl grey tea.

I'll gladly strike off Cologne Russe and Seville as well.

Stuck deciding between Cool Reserve and Le Grand Chypre.

(Also wondering if LGC overlaps with W.Kaw La Fougere Parfaite.)

Im having a hard time settling on just 2 B&M soaps....thats my limit.

Cheshire is definitely on as I love earl grey tea.

I'll gladly strike off Cologne Russe and Seville as well.

Stuck deciding between Cool Reserve and Le Grand Chypre.

(Also wondering if LGC overlaps with W.Kaw La Fougere Parfaite.)
I really love the scent of LGC, but quite frankly, I rarely use it. If I was to limit myself to only two B&M soaps, Cheshire and Cool would be at or near the top of my short-list.

P.S. LGC isn't at all similar to Last Fougere Parfaite.

Now if I can just pick one item from the menthol section and be done with it, that would be nice.
I just think 3 would be overkill...leaning towards MITA. I just get the feeling the other two have a lot of menthol and not much finesse in the base...that contribute to a superior lathering experience...slick, thick etc.

Menthol
Margaritas in the Attic
Snakebite
Cryogen

Drop Seville, too many other scents available. Seville is an excellent soap, it just smells
like generic laundry soap to my uneducated beak.

Now if I can just pick one item from the menthol section and be done with it, that would be nice.
I just think 3 would be overkill...leaning towards MITA. I just get the feeling the other two have a lot of menthol and not much finesse in the base...that contribute to a superior lathering experience...slick, thick etc.

Menthol
Margaritas in the Attic
Snakebite
Cryogen
Of the three, I would pick Cryogen. Not that MITA isn't a very good soap, but the smell reminds me of supermarket margarita mix. But I know that tons of people love it, so it might just be me.

MITA gets lot of love here but to my nose it smell like just another cheap pineapple drink one buys at those supermarket 'fountain' machines. I don't hate it but it is just okay and I can use the tub to logical end.
Between snakebite and cryogen if I want face numbing menthol I will pick cryogen.

I’ve used 8 on that list. The soaps I would buy again=
Bm cool
Wk fern concerto

Wkfc is pretty darn cold on my face considering they don’t draw a lot of attention to the menthol on the label.

Bm cool is good stuff. Smells like floid blue. Just make sure to use enough water and you’re golden.

Fwiw, The oakmoss they use in bm seville burns my face something fierce.

The menthol in snakebite and cryogen will burn your eyes. Too intense for me. The wkfc menthol is synthetic, so it won’t burn your eyes.

Btw, le grande chypre is a bit too peach scented for me, especially for $25.

One more thing. Wk fern concerto is a dead ringer for pinaude citrus musk, to my nose. Outstanding. Great soap.

Last edited:
Cryogen is awesome if you like cold. It's so cold it burns, at least for me. Can't wait for the weather to warm up so can use it. The AS is just as awesome so that may be another way to approach it. I don't recall much of a smell the it guys it's the coolest I've experienced.

Sent from my Vivo 8 using Tapatalk

I recently bought and tried Fine Snake Bite. I really like it myself. In fact I really like the Fine soaps in general. Wish I would of tried them years ago. The Platinum and American blend is spectacular as well.
EA267C54-B923-4D13-BE4E-8EC14E825B89.jpeg

A&E I would recommend Asian Plum.
Orange de le Verte is ok but it’s not Asian Plum.
B&M reserve Cool definitely.
If you would like a great menthol scent without the Citrus stirling Frozen Tundra is amazing cool fresh air scent.

nice, nice.

I didn't shortlist asian plum because Ive tasted a few, and they were tart and sour.

So Im a bit conflicted about a shave soap that might dredge up that awful memory.

Top Bottom