What's new

Crew Neck or V-Neck?

I live in Southern California where all undershirts are taboo. Not exactly sure why. I grew up in NH and always wore crew neck shirts. My wife made me stop wearing them altogether when I moved back to California.

I go for the "wider" v-neck shirts, unless it's a purely summer shirt (i.e. - linen) polo & t-shirts don't get undershirts for me.

I am alsways comfortable with a good cotton undershirt and good cotton shirt. I am a believer that when polyester is thrown into the mix things become much more uncomfortable.

I feel it best to always wear an undershirt except with an especially casual button down shirt--like flannel or chambray. An undershirt protects the investment of good cotton shirt so it can last years and years. Visible pit stains are simply unacceptable IMO--do you know if there are pit stains on my undershirt?

I personally own only v-neck undershits--works okay for me to not show chest hair and to not see undershirt. Many people nowadays allow the crew undershirt to be seen--I prefer not--problem is unless the buttons are well placed on an open collar sometimes the v-neck can be seen or too much chest hair--both of which are sloppy IMO.

Personally, I hate to wear undershirts period and gave them up back in middle school. The few times that I do wear one (either it's really hot or really cold), it's a "wife beater" style. When I can I like to wear my collar open a button and that seems to be the style here. However, this IMHO is a no-no if you have a lot of chest hair. Myself, I shave, as do many guys up this way. So, if you're gonna wear a v-neck, shave it or have very little chest hair. Otherwise, crew neck it, please!

S

Sam

I have now seen what they call the tank shirt, or sleeveless T. Same as a crew neck but no sleeves. Personally, I agree with the crew neck under a dress shirt, white or otherwise, when a tie is worn. I do prefer to have my pits covered so as to help keep deodarant off my dress shirts. Now, winter has set in and I am finding that with some sweaters, even a V-neck tshirt shows in the back. Either I get the same color T shirt (well in black maybe) or I will use the A-line t-shirt, which is what my daughter's generation refers to as a wife beater

Sam

That is a good theory, which I try for. However, I have noticed that white dress shirts almost never fill this demand. On every white dress shirt I own, you can see where the undershirt sleeves end. This is everything from $40-$60 Polo and Nautica to $150-$200 Ungaro and Valintino. Does anybody else find this to be the case?

In this case (white dress shirt), I'd go for the A-line/wife beater tank style undershirt. You still see lines, but to me "A" lines look better than seeing sleeve lines. Of course there's the option of a sleevless crew neck too.

I always wear an undershirt but flip-flop between crew neck and v neck depending on the shirt. I have never worn the A line or wife-beater. Who came up with that name?

A better question. Which would people rather see sticking out the top of a collared shirt where the top botton in undone, the collar of a crew undershirt or a patch of chest hair? Unless you're going for the '70s pimp look give me the collar of a crew shirt over the patch of hair anyday!

As a former pimp in the 70's, I stay true to myself and never wear an undershirt. It just seems to bind me under the arms, much like tighty-whities in the nether regions. I know, I know - TMI.

I always wear an undershirt but flip-flop between crew neck and v neck depending on the shirt. I have never worn the A line or wife-beater. Who came up with that name?

It's I guess what you'd call "urban" slang of some sort. Based on the COPS type shows which invariable show some jerk being arrested for domestic abuse (aka: wife beating"). Invariabley, he's wearing a "wife beater"/A-line t-shirt as his only shirt.

You never know man, those dudes in prison, particularly the ones on death row seem to hookup with some crazy lady on the outside who feels sorry for them!

I've never understood that one. :confused:

You never know man, those dudes in prison, particularly the ones on death row seem to hookup with some crazy lady on the outside who feels sorry for them!

I've never understood that one. :confused:

Well what I meant: there is not the issue with somebody outside .... :laugh:

Crew. Living in a college town, it doesn't really matter if the neck shows under a casual shirt, and I just never liked V-necks. Plus I have them on those rare occasions I need to wear a dress shirt and tie!

Sorry for appearing thick, but why do lots of Americans wear a tee shirt/undershirt (or vest, as we call what I think you're refering to as a wife beater!) under a shirt anyway? I would certainly never wear one at the office as it would be too hot and uncomfortable. I would only ever wear one under a shirt as an extra warm layer when outside in winter. We have air conditioning in the office here in Britain!

Gareth

V neck here. I'll wear wifebeaters with short sleeve or polo shirts otherwise.

But for long sleeve, button up shirts, I've got to have on an undershirt to catch the sweat and keep from getting pit stains from my antiperspirant.

Sorry for appearing thick, but why do lots of Americans wear a tee shirt/undershirt (or vest, as we call what I think you're refering to as a wife beater!) under a shirt anyway? I would certainly never wear one at the office as it would be too hot and uncomfortable. I would only ever wear one under a shirt as an extra warm layer when outside in winter. We have air conditioning in the office here in Britain!

Gareth

It is considered proper to wear an undershirt under a button-up shirt here for several reasons.

1. If you sweat, the sweat gets on the undershirt not the good shirt.
2. When you do sweat, clothes tend to cling to the body. With an undershirt the undershirt clings but the actual shirt doesn't cling (unless you are sweating like crazy).
3. Some people I have heard claim it adds body to the shirt.

As for an undershirt being too hot and uncomfortable, actually I find the opposite, I am far more comfortable with an undershirt than without, including temperature-wise.

Top Bottom