What's new

Cretan Hone?

Does this look like a Cretan Hone to people familiar with them? If so, how do they differ from Turkey Stones? If not, any ideas? Only other thing I could think was a really ugly soft arkansas.

Attachments

• IMG_0513.JPG
    IMG_0513.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0514.JPG
    IMG_0514.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0515.JPG
    IMG_0515.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 57
The only place that i've found information about the cretan hone is griffith shaving, and they have a few pictures of each of the Grey and the white. I'm sure someone with more experience will chime in, but if you haven't compared this stone to those pics it's the only tool i have to offer.

Thanks... definitely looks possible... the white veins on it match the pictures pretty well... mine has a lot more flaws than their demo stones though... so not certain. But it does look like a Turkey Hone to me with all the veins, faults, and flaws... just the wrong complexion. I'm kind of curious if it'd be worthwhile to keep it clean for water use, as I already have several Vintage Turkey stones for oil.

Those pix remind me of the Cretan stones that were sold by that guy from 'the other forum' many years ago. They were rediculously difficult to lap for some reason. They were cheap enough for experimenting with though. I would put the examples I had in the mid-range bucket, nothing special enough for me to keep around.

I have a labeled Mikado. It's black and doesn't resemble this stone. It's basically the texture of a very fine carborundum and the color of a black arkansas. Was something else sold as Mikado?

Gamma, got any more info on the old "Cretans" you mentioned? I might have to do some research into it to see what I've got.

2D6DEB51-4494-412E-B7F8-AB0AE7F27CE5.jpeg

Bears a slight resemblance to Jonathan Coe’s Arkansas Grey stones.
If I remember correctly, these are a kind of limestone. Nice enough hones. Good finisher.

I have a labeled Mikado. It's black and doesn't resemble this stone. It's basically the texture of a very fine carborundum and the color of a black arkansas. Was something else sold as Mikado?

Gamma, got any more info on the old "Cretans" you mentioned? I might have to do some research into it to see what I've got.
Since I changed the light settings on my CPU I can see it's too light to be a Mikado. My bad.

The seller's name was Emanuell or something like that - he was located in Crete and the stone's were purchased by him in Crete. Initially I sorta liked the stone but after a short while it annoyed me. Initially I thought it was a plausible bevel setter but it wasn't really that. It was like calling the Norton 4k a bevel setter. Yes, bevels were made - but they were not comparable to anything off of, say - a 1k C. So, basically, that stone was, to me, pointless. I wanted to like it and I started off liking it, and there was much forum-hype about it that was influencing me in that direction. After endless lapping and a ton of 'advice' about how to get it to work - the bottom line was that most reports on that stone were way off the mark and it was just another 'meh' stone that was being 'driven' by the 'flavor of the day' crowd. I don't know if your stone is related to them or not; the look is similer, but that's not much to go on. If you have to lap it on 60x sandpaper because a 220x DMT doesn't put a dent in it - that might indicate it having similar DNA though.

I still have one of Emanuel’s Stones. At That time i wanted to bevelset with a natural. It smells awful using it and it not as good as a chosera 800 I (still )use. Grit of mine is upto 3k when ending on water. It’s laying in a drawer somewhere, I haven’t used it for years.

proxy.php

I don't know why you get the natural bevel setter bug, but you always seem to.
It never worked out for me.

It's not that it never worked for me. Worked very well and taught me a lot. One thing it did teach me though is that there are much faster easier ways. I only used coticule and botan for bevel setters though.

Now the side of that stone reminds me of my crazy unknown that is white and grey but seems more like a high level Charnley Forest stone. My top is like glass though.

strangecf11.jpg

Last edited:
Y'know, you're right.
I did learn from it, and got reasonable edges from Dalmore's, Washitas and Amakusas but they were too sllloooow. I forget that I've set bevels on coticules (he says having set a bevel on a coticule this morning - d'oh - I'm on vacation and have only cotis with me) and very good they are too.
I - partly - take it back

I still have one of Emanuel’s Stones. At That time i wanted to bevelset with a natural. It smells awful using it and it not as good as a chosera 800 I (still )use. Grit of mine is upto 3k when ending on water. It’s laying in a drawer somewhere, I haven’t used it for years.

proxy.php

This looks a lot like my hone, I got from a guy from a German wetshaving board. He often visits Greece (Creta) and bought some rocks there.
I like how fast the hone is and I am using it for sharpening kitchen knives. I don't like the edge it produces, when it comes to finishing razors.

Top Bottom