What's new

Creole Chicken and Sausage Jambalaya

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I never see any in the stores I shop in or I would have tried it.

I don't think I've ever seen jambalaya with okra in it, and I kinda hope I never do.

I love okra. Don't get me wrong. I just can't see it's place in jambalaya. Might be better than tomatoes, though. Keep them tomatoes out. I tend to cook Cajun, not creole.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I don't think I've ever seen jambalaya with okra in it, and I kinda hope I never do.

I love okra. Don't get me wrong. I just can't see it's place in jambalaya. Might be better than tomatoes, though. Keep them tomatoes out. I tend to cook Cajun, not creole.

I remember someone saying that without Okra it's not Jambalaya or words to that effect so I was curious because I've never ate any.

Skip the tomatoes hmmm. More, and different, kinds of peppers then. I can go with that.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I remember someone saying that without Okra it's not Jambalaya or words to that effect

You probably heard someone say that about gumbo.

As for the tomatoes, I really misspoke a bit. I might put a bit of tomato paste in for the base (and I might not), but I don't much care for diced tomato. It overwhelms the dish-- too much acid, and they kinda mush up texture. Chunks are even worse.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
You probably heard someone say that about gumbo.

As for the tomatoes, I really misspoke a bit. I might put a bit of tomato paste in for the base (and I might not), but I don't much care for diced tomato. It overwhelms the dish-- too much acid, and they kinda mush up texture. Chunks are even worse.

The texture has been a problem. Mine isnt as dry as I think it should be. The flavours are there but its more like a stew. I'm shooting for this but dont seem to get there.

20140609_FoodRepublic_TestKitchen_303.jpg

I think the canned tomatoes are the problem. A couple spoonfuls of tomato paste should solve that. I dont have a problem with the ingredients or the flavours, my technique though is lacking.

Its still good but it could be better.

"Mine isnt as dry as I think it should be. The flavours are there but its more like a stew."

I'd shoot for more of a 2:1 liquid:rice ratio maybe. Add the rice when the liquid is at a rolling boil, stir, bring back to a boil, decrease heat, cover and simmer for allotted time (depending on rice type).. These thoughts are dredged from a 3 hour cooking class I took in NOLA about 25 years ago so use with a grain of salt (so to speak). I'll try to dig up the recipe later. This thread is making me hungry..

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
If it has okra, it's gumbo :)

Keep cooking it down to get the desired hydration then add your shrimps.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I think next time I'll skip the canned tomatoes and just try tomato paste.

Spaghetti sauce will be up next though, starting from canned. I made it once from a half bushel of fresh Roma tomatoes but that takes too long.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

I think I had gumbo on my mind.

Top Bottom