What's new

Cremo: very good shave cream on its own

@kingfisher

so if I can ask, beyond sls what things do you avoid and which soaps do you use?
SLES.

For shampoo I have been using a Mystic Water shampoo bar for about five or six years. I've tried others but keep coming back to MW. The one with tea tree and Neem completely eliminated my dandruff.
For shaving I use mostly Stirling and Soapy Science, but I'm ok with any shaving soap that's real soap.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
SLES.

For shampoo I have been using a Mystic Water shampoo bar for about five or six years. I've tried others but keep coming back to MW. The one with tea tree and Neem completely eliminated my dandruff.
For shaving I use mostly Stirling and Soapy Science, but I'm ok with any shaving soap that's real soap.
Thank for the SLES call out. I was not aware that it and SLS are different.

Aware. I am a pediatrician.

I also agree that not all surfactants are created alike. I know that SLS and me are a bad combination. I also know that SLS is the harshest of the surfactants and that many/most companies have been eliminating it from their products.

Ironically, Cetaphil contains SLS as the third or fourth ingredient. I assume the concentration in Cetaphil is low, as its a non-lathering cleanser.

I definitely experience more mouth sores using toothpastes that contain SLS. Some of the newer, better toothpastes don't foam up as much and don't seem to be as big a problem in that area.

Fair enough, some of the ingredients don’t work for you.

Surfactant is a rather generic term and not all are bad. All are useful for the job intended. You would not be breathing at this very moment we’re it not for the surfactant on your lungs.

Soap is a kind of surfactant.

That's strange. Are you using a lot of Cremo and a little water? I've had good success with a little Cremo and a lot of water. I do have soft water, though.

I have hard water and Cremo works great. I don't think its effected by water hardness so much, since it's not soap based.

If we all had soft water, soaps would work as they should, but if you have hard water they tend to make alot of annoying soap scum that's difficult to wash off- including on your skin. I don't even wash my face with soap anymore, so it seems strange I would be shaving with it.

Is this the same....as good as the one you guys talking about? Just a different smell??
IMG_20191108_134055.jpg
Jus

Same cream, different scent. I was using the original citrus scent that smells sort of like a creamsicle or citrus musk.

I wanted to try Cremo (Classic) for trips without brush, but it smells so horrible! I won't ever use it. Never! Never ever! And even James Bond could not convince me otherwise. If somebody from Germany wants it until tomorrow 9am I will send it for free. Otherwise it goes into the trash can. (I would add a slightly used shaving soap from Speik. That in the gray/red plastic bowl. Doesn't smell bad, but I don't get a smooth shave with it.)

For the Cremo lovers I have a question: have you tried the Shaving Cream from Trader Joe's?
That one is slick, very slick for me.

The past few days I went back to ordinary shave soaps and there is no contest... Cremo has to rank as one of the best shave products I have ever used. Especially in terms of the post-shave feeling on my face... mass-market shave soaps are downright harsh in comparison, with less blade protection and not nearly as close shaving.

This could be my shaving endgame, or darn near close to it. Some time in the upcoming week or two I'm going to try the lathering Cremo, but it may be tough to beat the latherless cream.

For the Cremo lovers I have a question: have you tried the Shaving Cream from Trader Joe's?
That one is slick, very slick for me.

No. There aren't too many Trader Joe's near me, but I'll keep my eyes open for it if I'm ever there again.

Amazon does sell an unscented Cremo knockoff under their Solimo brand.

Last edited:
I’m finishing off a tube of Cremo and Trader Joe’s is next. When I get closer to the end of the Cremo, I’ll post a comparison. I don’t want to open the TJ tube until the Cremo is just about finished. I’ll save my thoughts until then, other than to say I am getting great results with Cremo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad things worked out! :a14: :a14:

It has been a long time since I tried Cremo: I may need to revisit this product!

Glad things worked out! :a14: :a14:

It has been a long time since I tried Cremo: I may need to revisit this product!

I would check out the Sandalwood or Silverwater Birch scents if you are used to more traditional shave products. The original scent is a bold orange or grapefruit type scent. I can understand going with a citrus but I think neroli musk would have been a better choice.

The nicer natural non-irritant version of Cremo is the brushless shaving products from Lush cosmetics. Pricy per use if you’re doing many passes, but slick as can be and the post shave is everything you could ask for plus more pH neutral compared to anything else.

The scents/products I’ve tried are called “Prince” and “Dirty” and I liked dirty more.

Cremo works OK, but if you want an exceptionally slick and dense lather, just mix equal parts of Cremo and Neutrogena Sensitive Skin Shave Cream. It's like an entirely different (and better) soap.
My Cremogena blend is what I compare other soaps to & so far, only Stirling comes close.

Last edited:
Cremo works OK, but if you want an exceptionally slick and dense lather, just mix equal parts of Cremo and Neutrogena Sensitive Skin Shave Cream. It's like an entirely different (and better) soap.
My Cremogena blend is what I compare other soaps to & so far, only Stirling comes close.
Do you lather that with a brush?

Cremo does work well but I just don't enjoy it as much as other soaps. It does not make a lather and I'm not sure where I'm shaving. It's definitely one of the slickest creams out there but it does not give me the satisfaction of a creamy lather. Works well as a pre-shave.

Same here and it’s hard to tell where I’ve shaved 😕. Dang slick tho.

Do you lather that with a brush?
Brush lather about a thumbnail-sized dab of each added into a bowl. Wet a brush, shake it out, then just add a few drops of water to the bowl. Add more water until it explodes into a dense lather. Some of my brushes need only 8-10 drops of water & the bigger ones need considerably more.

If you've used Cremo alone, this blend will be really impressive - no mistaking where you're shaving!

Top Bottom