What's new

Creed Samples

Curve for Men

Top Notes
Green Leaf, Fresh Lavender, Douglas Fir, Sparkling Juniper Berry.

Middle Notes
Bergamot, China Ginseng, Cardamom, Living Cactus.

Base Notes
Sandalwood, Black Pepper, Amber, Vetiver, Mahogany.

Interesting notes.

It better smell better than Cool Water because GIT beats Cool Water hands down. I'm also not sure how the middle notes of Violet can be similar to the middle notes of Curve for Men.

Make sure when you test frags that you use them not only on your skin but see how they develop differently over time. The opening sprays of Cool Water and GIT are similar but develop differently over time. Cool Water also has a quicker dry-down and lots of Rosemary. There must be some differences other than price.

Ultimately go with what you like. :thumbup1:

1948 Vetiver is very old school. Ginger and vetiver. I hadn't worn it in awhile and dusted off my bottle a couple of weeks ago.

It stunned me how much I liked it. . . .

Their "Original" Vetiver is their modern take on vetiver issued around 2004. (Note the "hip" green bottle). It's pretty well regarded too. Some noses I really respect in Basenotes think very highly of OV.

When I tried the 1948 Vetiver at a Creed counter this past winter, I really, really liked it, so much so that I would have bought a bottle had I not been in economy mode. Oddly enough, when I got a decant from The Perfumed Court recently, it just wasn't doing it for me as much. I don’t know if it was something to do with the decant, the change of seasons, or what, but I was a little surprised.

I also just got a decant of Original Vetiver, and I'm not crazy about it. It's not bad or anything, but I just don't think it’s for me.

So, after trying a bunch of Creeds (but by no means all of them :biggrin1:), I'd have to say that my top three are Silver Mountain Water, Erolfa, and Tabarome Millesime. Himalaya is nice, too, but I'd put it a peg below those three. Orange Spice is also nice. (I used to like Bois du Portugal, but after an accidental over-application I lost my taste for it. Seriously.)

So there you go.

Oddly enough, when I got a decant from The Perfumed Court recently, it just wasn't doing it for me as much. I don’t know if it was something to do with the decant, the change of seasons, or what, but I was a little surprised.

Doesn't surprise me. These Creeds seem like they can vary from bottle to bottle. I swear I think mine "aged" on me. I've had the bottle several years and dusted it off a couple of weeks back. I was stunned and blown away wearing it.

Have I changed since I last wore it? Did it get more potent in bottle? Is is better in cooler weather? I don't know.

Doesn't surprise me. These Creeds seem like they can vary from bottle to bottle. I swear I think mine "aged" on me. I've had the bottle several years and dusted it off a couple of weeks back. I was stunned and blown away wearing it.

Have I changed since I last wore it? Did it get more potent in bottle? Is is better in cooler weather? I don't know.

I just got my first 30ml bottle of GIT for 99 CDN at a local discount perfume store. It smelled slightly different than my decant but they are drying down in a similar way. I think my bottle is smelling stronger overall. I'm very happy. I hope that I can order some more at that price. 30ml is just the right amount. Not too much and not too little.

My theory: Original Santal and Original Vetiver are two of their most recent scents, probably more laden with synthethics than some of our fave Creeds in here.

Can't speak for Santal, but Original Vetiver is loaded with natural-smelling bergamot that burns off within ten minutes, with a very natural pine-like accord that spices it up in the middle, I guess to complement the vetiver "leaf" that's supposedly in there. I've never smelled actual vetiver leaf, so I can't say much in that regard, but the way this fragrance projects and lasts I have to think it's mostly high-quality materials. I get 2-3 hours after 12 sprays. And my skin usually holds fragrances of all kinds very nicely. Of course by Creed's own admission, they include a few synthetic ingredients in all their frags, so OV is no exception . . .

Creed samples are coming in the mail.

There will be reviews for the following:

Baie de Genievre
Bois de Cedrat
Bois du Portugal
Citrus Bigarrade
Epicea
Neroli Sauvage
Orange Spice
Original Vetiver
Royal Delight
Royal Scottish Lavender
Royal Water
Santal Imperial
Selection Verte
Vetiver
Zeste Mandarine Pamplemousse
Cyprus Musc - 1948
Vetiver - 1948
Ambre cannelle 1949
Orange Spice - 1950

Update: Bois de Santal [Thanks to 'The Knize']

Last edited:
Creed samples are coming in the mail.

There will be reviews for the following:

Baie de Genievre
Bois de Cedrat
Bois du Portugal
Citrus Bigarrade
Epicea
Neroli Sauvage
Orange Spice
Original Vetiver
Royal Delight
Royal Scottish Lavender
Royal Water
Santal Imperial
Selection Verte
Vetiver
Zeste Mandarine Pamplemousse
Cyprus Musc - 1948
Vetiver - 1948
Ambre cannelle 1949
Orange Spice - 1950

Update: Bois de Santal [Thanks to 'The Knize']

Geez you must of spent a pretty penny on all those.

Bottom Line: Get your wife to wear Erolfa and you wear Imperiale and go live near the sea. :001_cool:

Would you consider MI more of a warm weather or cool weather (or both) scent. I.e., "force 9 on the beaufort scale" marine scent or "sailing the carribean"?

I've been fascinated with trying some marine/salt scents (not marine/aquatic in the modern sense/scents!) and am curious to get a better picture of this one in particular. Of course I will be sampling soon....

"force 9 on the beaufort scale" marine

My first reaction was this.

It was more like a warm weather rainy day scent but I enjoyed wearing it in both sunny and rainy weather. I'm sure everyone's imagination is different. The sea salt mixed with citrus did that for me but I have no idea what images will be conjured by other people. Erolfa to me is more like a living on the docks kind of marine scent. You could always buy a decant of each and alternate. I just kept the MI because I like the drydown smell better than Erolfa but I could see some people liking both or just Erolfa. Definitely sample before you buy even if you narrow it down to a few choices from my notes. Either Erolfa or MI may last longer on your skin. I find I need about two sprays on each inside elbow to make it last longer.

If you want a carribean scent then Virgin Island Water would be better though on my skin it didn't go much beyond coconut/sugar cane but there was more when I smelled it on the card. Skin test-flights will help you decide.

The stash has arrived as well as a 1970 Gillette Black Beauty.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Thanks The Knize your Bois de Santal arrived at the same time.

I'm still waiting on Vetiver 1948 and Selection Verte which will probably come soon.

Last edited:
Cyprès Musc 1948

proxy.php

Top Notes: Bergamot
Middle: Cypress , galbanum
Base: Musk and oak moss.

From the get go you can smell some bergamot but I noticed more galbanum mixed with the cypress. It's a very green outdoorsy clean smelling frag. At first it reminds me subtly of pickles and turpintine (probably the galbanum). My mouth actually watered. :biggrin1: The galbanum creates a dish soap smell that dominates. As it's drying down a smooth musk and oakmoss join in. This is a love it or hate it fragrance. I love it but it's discontinued so if you get someone who can decant 15 ml for you it wouldn't be a bad idea if you like it. I think this could be worn year round though I still get a vibe that it's for older gents. It will last a few hours for sure.

Last edited:
Cyprès Musc 1948

proxy.php

Middle: Cypress , galbanum
Base: Musk and oak moss.

From the get go you can smell some bergamot but I noticed more galbanum mixed with the cypress. It's a very green outdoorsy clean smelling frag. At first it reminds me subtly of pickles and turpintine (probably the galbanum). My mouth actually watered. :biggrin1: The galbanum creates a dish soap smell that dominates. As it's drying down a smooth musk and oakmoss join in. This is a love it or hate it fragrance. I love it but it's discontinued so if you get someone who can decant 15 ml for you it wouldn't be a bad idea if you like it. I think this could be worn year round though I still get a vibe that it's for older gents. It will last a few hours for sure.

I recently got a free sample of this juice from SA at my local Nieman Marcus. I absolutely loved it, but my wife told me she didn't think it was anything "special..." It had tremendous longevity. If you can get it, I'd recommend doing so!

Bois de Santal

proxy.php

Top Notes: Greens, orange, lemon
Middle: Sandalwood
Base: Tonka bean, vanilla

It starts off with sharp alcohol smell and greens (a little bit like Tabarome Millesime which I don't like but with citrus instead of ginger which I like better). The greens overpower the citrus but as it dries down you get a nice sandalwood with vanilla to sweeten it. To me this beats Tabarome Millesime hands down. This is also better than original santal which is too sickly sweet but this is more balanced and almost spicy sweet sandalwood. The smell improves with time. The scent is long lasting and powerful. I don't think I would need too many sprays with it. This is also discontinued. I think there is a mostly full bottle of it on BST if you want otherwise you'll have to find someone to decant it for you or take your chances with ebay. If you like vanilla and sandalwood this is the ticket but what's funny is that you'll have to wait a good hour for it to show up after the greens die down. The character of this fragrance really changes. If you like Trumper's Sandalwood shaving cream, just add some vanilla and that's how it dries down.

Last edited:
Bois du Portugal

proxy.php

Middle Notes: Lavender
Base Notes: Cedar, sandalwood from Mysore, vetiver and ambergris

At the top you get a shot of bergamot but it's pretty quickly softened by the lavender. As the basenotes enter into the picture you get a nice cedar which is more prominent than the sandalwood and vetiver, (though if you breath deeply you will notice the vetiver note) and as usual the ambergris warms up the proceedings. This is a heavenly scent and easily one of the best Creeds. What makes it's so great is the interplay of the different notes that sometimes reminds me of fresh maple syrup (more dry less sweet) when all the notes mix together. This has good longevity and can be worn in any situation and can could be used at work daily. This may not be as youthful a scent but if you're over 30 I don't see the problem. Really good stuff. If you don't like the heaviness of Royal English Leather or the sweetness of Acier Aluminum then this is a great alternative.

Last edited:
Royal Delight

proxy.php

Top Notes: Tangerine, bergamot
Middle Notes: Jasmine, violet
Base Notes: Ambergris and leather

This is an interesting one. I noticed first the violet and leather. It reminded me of Green Irish Tweed a little (due to the violet middle note). After a while the violet strengthens into a flowery grape smell with the jasmine. The bergamot is in the background and fades pretty quickly. The tangerine stays for a while to sweeten up the violet and jasmine. It stays like this for a long time and for some people it will be too strong and cloying. I like it but I find Green Irish Tweed to be a more balanced fragrance. Some people will be in heaven with this scent. I wouldn't wear it to work and that makes it a weekend or evening scent. Women can definitely wear this. The only thing keeping this from being completely feminine is the leather. It's definitely well made but I doubt it could be used everyday. I'm on the fence on this one. If you do buy it you probably won't need more than one spray. The longevity and sillage is incredible. As it dries down you get more ambergris than leather. DO NOT BLIND BUY THIS ONE. :blush:

Royal Delight

proxy.php

Top Notes: Tangerine, bergamot
Middle Notes: Jasmine, violet
Base Notes: Ambergris and leather

This is an interesting one. I noticed first the violet and leather. It reminded me of Green Irish Tweed a little (due to the violet middle note). After a while the violet strengthens into a flowery grape smell with the jasmine. The bergamot is in the background and fades pretty quickly. The tangerine stays for a while to sweeten up the violet and jasmine. It stays like this for a long time and for some people it will be too strong and cloying. I like it but I find Green Irish Tweed to be a more balanced fragrance. Some people will be in heaven with this scent. I wouldn't wear it to work and that makes it a weekend or evening scent. Women can definitely wear this. The only thing keeping this from being completely feminine is the leather. It's definitely well made but I doubt it could be used everyday. I'm on the fence on this one. If you do buy it you probably won't need more than one spray. The longevity and sillage is incredible. As it dries down you get more ambergris than leather. DO NOT BLIND BUY THIS ONE. :blush:

I agree it's not for everyone, but I find this to be an incredible scent. I'm wearing it today to court and the office. It dries down nicely so that it's not overpowering IMHO. The women in my office have all complimented me on it being a very elegant yet manly scent...

Top Bottom