Creed cologne question

My nose loves Silver Mountain Water.
I've tried...
Al-Rehab Silver,
Armaf Derby Clubhouse Blanche,
Ajmal Silver Shade,
Karen Low Pure Silver,
Franck Olivier Sun Java White

They all have their Pros & Cons, but none really come through with the sweet juicy black currant note that SMW has.

My partner and I were out testing Creed scents last week. I really like Green Irish Tweed, but I got some Armaf Tres Nuit to satisfy that desire. So, we tested the Silver Mountain Water and Vetiver. We were torn between the two, with maybe a slight advantage to the Vetiver. Sprayed both on each arm, but after about 30 minutes, the Vetiver smelled exactly like soap on my skin, drastically different.

Has anyone else experienced this, too? With Vetiver, or any other scent?

the Vetiver smelled exactly like soap on my skin, drastically different.

Has anyone else experienced this, too? With Vetiver, or any other scent?

I know what you mean about Original Vetiver smelling like soap. I tried OV a few years ago, and while I liked it, I could not justify spending that kind of money to smell like soap. Subsequently, I bought it and it has grown on me. It still has that clean smell, but it is more complex than just a soapy smell. Vetiver can smell dirty or earthy sometimes, but the vetiver in OV is definitely on the clean end of the spectrum.

Also, to answer the last part of your question, I think that any scent that has a strong neroli note smells soapy.

Neither of the Creed Vetivers--the current "Original" Vetiver or the rather fabled "1948" Vetiver--smell very much like vetiver. I do not recall what Original Vetiver smells like to opine whether it smells soapy on dry down. Here is a rather extensive article on soapy fragrances--more than I can comprehend, if I am honest--that seems to agree that Original Vetiver is soapy. Perfume Shrine: Soapy Fragrances: More than Just a Matter of Clean It comes up other places on-line as a soapy scent, too, so their is nothing wrong with your noses.

There is also some opinion out there that neroli is often involved in soapy scents. I do not think that every neroli forward scent is soapy to me. But I understand what jpd93 is saying.

Thanks both @jdp93 and @The Knize , glad I'm not going crazy! Do either of you have recommendations for 'classic' Vetivers, if that's what I'm liking in the bottle smell of the Creed? Or maybe it is the neroli, and it just reacts like that with my skin?

Thanks both @jdp93 and @The Knize , glad I'm not going crazy! Do either of you have recommendations for 'classic' Vetivers, if that's what I'm liking in the bottle smell of the Creed? Or maybe it is the neroli, and it just reacts like that with my skin?

If you’re talking classic vetiver, you have to start with Guerlain Vetiver. That one is a landmark in perfumery and one of my favorite vetiver fragrances. For modern vetivers, my favorites are Chanel Sycomore and Frederick Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do not know what you are liking in the Creed Original Vetiver. Like I said, I have never thought it smelled much like vetiver. And I do not really remember what it does smell like. Sorry I cannot be of more help there. I agree with jdp93 about the vetivers he mentions. Lorenzo Villoresi is probably my favorite vetiver. It is big and aggressive. Route du Vetiver by Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier is excellent, too, but very different. Earthy/swampy. MpG Racine is a very pure vetiver of yet a different style. Very clean as I recall. Vetiver is probably my favorite type of scent. There are lots of great ones out there and the styles vary a lot while remaining vetiver centric. (I do not know why vetiver seems to come in so many styles.) Mazzolari Vetyver is really nice, too, as I recall.

Top Bottom