What's new

Creating patina?

Ok, so the blade is done being sanded. I'm going to distilled water and ferric chloride 4:1, and I assume I should be using a glass dish to hold the solution as I immerse the razor. When I'm done, is baking soda the best bet to neutralize the solution? I don't want to risk a big reaction, so should I just dilute it more with water?

Gosh, this is getting serious. What are my best disposal options?

Last edited:

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I have always just diluted it by dumping a batch into a 5gal bucket of water and down the drain she goes. I havent etched any PC boards in like 30 years and my method MIGHT not be considered environmentally friendly these days.

glass or most plastic will work fine. I always used an old developing tray, which was plastic of some sort. Just don't use anything metal. A glass caserole dish or pie plate would work great but I think I would want to hang the razor vertically in something in such a way that the razor doesn't touch the sides or bottom. A collins glass maybe, or some sort of large test tube? An old bong? Who DOESN'T have one of these laying around in the attic? Probably only the people who still have one on the coffee table, I am guessing.

That stuff is quite aggressive, by the way. You might want to paint the bevel carefully, with a sharpie. It makes fairly good etch resist. You dont want it to eat away at your edge.

Yes, definitely agitate.

Ok, so the blade is done being sanded. I'm going to distilled water and ferric chloride 4:1, and I assume I should be using a glass dish to hold the solution as I immerse the razor. When I'm done, 8s baking soda the best bet to neutralize the solution? I don't want to risk a big reaction, so should I just dilute it more with water?

Gosh, this is getting serious. What are my best disposal options?

Distilled water is good. A glass is better than a dish...so you can hang it in vertically and get the entire razor without touching any of the surfaces. Baking soda water or windex will harmlessly neutralize the solution. It's not going to explode on your lol, and it's not insanely caustic to your skin or hands. If you get some on you you'll most likely get a stain that will last a bit. Spritz it with windex within a minute or so and you'll be fine.

I also wouldn't dispose of it (not for any reasons other than practicality). If you put it in a mayonnaise type jar (size wise) you can keep the stuff indefinitely for future projects. I've had one tube of mine...as I mentioned previously, for pushing 5yrs now.

I understand...but the contrast for that in my mind would be the ultra clean edge bevel...if you know what I mean? Rough and dirty but very well cared for.

Here's an example of a friction folder that I think explains exactly what I mean more clearly than words could:

proxy.php

Burned, black, crusty...but man, that edge bevel!!

:D

Dang, bro. Nice work-

Thanks! I went with a slightly higher concentration (3:2) with distilled water in a tall glass mug. Strung some stainless picture wire through the pivot hole, and dipped it in for just under 30 seconds. It looks even better in person.

Thanks again for the tips!

Top Bottom