What's new

Creating patina?

Ok, so my Old West GD66 mod has me brainstorming like crazy. I know most Old West gentlemen, gunfighters included, might have used "fancy" vintage razors of the era.

I don't want fancy. I am creating a Road Agent's razor, and as such I want it to have a little more Wild West character.

I don't want a highly polished blade. I want some realistic patina. Back when I started shooting flintlocks in my reenacting crew, I blackened the barrel of my pistol by wrapping it it a wet rag to sit overnight, buffing out the rust with fine steel wool, and repeating. The barrel now has a wonderful deep patina, and stays rust free as long as I clean after firing. But the steel on that barrel is MUCH thicker than that of a razor, and I don't know if that method would work.

So, what's the best way to "dirty up" my razor and still keep it safe and clean?

Mike H

Instagram Famous
White is what I used, because that's what I had. The lower the pH, the better it works

I have heard of Coca Cola being used to put a patina on bronze. Don't really know if it would work on your razor, but don't see how it could hurt.

Will a vinegar patina need to be redone? I see some knife forums saying it only lasts a few months.

I accidentally put some dark grey 'patina' on a Boker Columbian I'm restoring as a result of using vinegar on it and it took sandpaper to get it off - steel wool didn't do much. I don't think shaving would take it off. With knives used to cut rope and cardboard and whatnot I could see it coming off.

I accidentally put some dark grey 'patina' on a Boker Columbian I'm restoring and it took sandpaper to get it off - steel wool didn't do much. I don't think shaving would take it off. With knives used to cut rope and cardboard and whatnot I could see it coming off.

Thanks! The more I think of these little touches, the more excited I get.

Apple juice. When I was a kid we would cut up a couple apples with our knives to do it. Turns the blade gray and it stays that way pretty much forever.

I use ferric chloride mostly, when blackening steel. The trick is to do a good heavy etch...then many light etches to deepen and even out the discoloration. If you like the idea of variation in the patina, just hand rub it in a bit of an uneven fashion. The end result will be a really cool mottled grey/black with just a hint of a rainbowish reflection to it. It absolutely takes some time and experimentation to get it the way you want it though...and each blade seems to react a bit differently to the process, requiring a bit of adaptation.

The other benefit to patina like this (on a razor particularly) is the oxides hold oil for pretty much ever (the oil also adds to the gloss). Water sheds better and more consistently than it would on a mirror polished blade. On something like a kitchen knife...the acidic foods will strip the oxides off and discolor the product in the process. On a razor...the only part really touching your face is the polished edge...so there isn't any wear on the oxides. I've been shaving with a blackened Gold Dollar for a solid week now, and the color is the same as the day I applied the patina.

I know this thread is a couple months old (and you've probably got your blade done by now lol)...but I thought I'd reply anyway for future searches :).

Lots of great ideas to try! I am leaning towards items I nay already have, like the vinegar. I know ferric chloride is an option, but I don't see myself using enough to justify the outlay.

Top Bottom