What's new

creams in tubes vs. soaps in tubs/blocks

I'm sure it's been discussed before elsewhere in the forum, but let me throw this up: I have not really been satisfied with a single cream in tube, compared to a soap. I've tried four or five products, from Taylors to Body Shop and find that they require a great deal of cream, and even then never reach the level of protection that allows the razor to slide, compared to a soap in a tub. Factoring in price I see no advantage in a cream.

What am I missing?

I'm sure it's been discussed before elsewhere in the forum, but let me throw this up: I have not really been satisfied with a single cream in tube, compared to a soap. I've tried four or five products, from Taylors to Body Shop and find that they require a great deal of cream, and even then never reach the level of protection that allows the razor to slide, compared to a soap in a tub. Factoring in price I see no advantage in a cream.

What am I missing?

Some like soaps, others prefer creams. There is a wide varience in creams, both between makes, and even with maker's product lines. Differing consistancy, ingredients, etc., all make for a different experience with each one.

A note on Taylors of Old Bond Street tubes - the consistancy varies from tube to tube in my experience. In this line I much prefer the tubs. But, take Floris for example, the tubes are excellent.

Some creams are easier to mix and get the desired result with. Take Floris and Trumper as two, for example. One almond size drop of cream, wet the brush well, shake once, and mix in a bowl, and the result will be good.

Some folks will face lather (I do frequently) and will add water by dipping the brush in a bowl, then swirling on the face briskly. Dip again, etc till you get the desired result.

My point - it is all in the technique, and the ratio of water to product, and amount of time spent in mixing or application. These factors will influence the result, as will the product used. Best to experiment.

What am I missing?
A lot. Chemically they are more or less similar products, namely saponified oils or fats. The molecules making up the soap and cream have between 14 and 18 carbon atoms, and all behave in a more or less equal fashion. The Na+ or K+ ions determining whether a soap is hard or soft do not influence its shaveworthiness, so there is no real reason why a soap derived from a particular oil source would be inherently better than a cream made from the same kind of oil, or show superior lubrication properties to the extent of your experience.

My guess is that you got the water/cream ratio seriously wrong, as indicated by you requiring 'a great deal of cream'. An almond-sized dollop suffices with the products you mentioned. If you needed more, you didn't use the product properly. It's as simple as that, I'm afraid.

Another possibility is that you are one of the individuals who is perfectly happy with the 'three second spin' routine when loading the brush with a hard soap; in that case you don't really need the soap at all and can make do with just a bit of runny oil.

Last edited:
Top Bottom