What's new

Correct Pronunciation of Nacet

Jay21

Collecting wife bonus parts
The Gillette Nacet is among my favorite blades and I’ve always wondered how to properly pronounce its name.

Some say, “Nay sit.”

Others say, “Nah sit.”

While looking for official Nacet videos on YT, I only found one, and it was from the Middle East, which is where Nacet is currently marketed.

The pronunciation used in the official video was “Neh sit.”

So, there you have it. The preferred pronunciation in its market makes both of the commonly used pronunciations wrong. If we have any members from the Middle East, please confirm. Perhaps the current pronunciation has changed due to language and vowel sound differences compared to when Nacet was first manufactured.

Anyway…

Shooting Star GIF

As the word "nacet" is not word found in the English language, I wanted to see the definition of the word to help unlock the "correct" pronunciation.

Stumbled on the NIH National Library of Medicine website on Pubmed and found this article on NACET (a.k.a N-Acetylcysteine ethyl ester):

N-Acetylcysteine ethyl ester (NACET): a novel lipophilic cell-permeable cysteine derivative with an unusual pharmacokinetic feature and remarkable antioxidant potential

Hmm. That's alot of syllallybubbles. I'll stick with NAY-set :):):)

While I fully support this exploration, I think it's okay to anglicize pronunciations if one is speaking English.

The French can say "pah-REE" all they want and not sound weird, but it would make me feel pretty silly. If I'm having a discussion in English about their biggest city, I'm calling it "PAIR-us".

Likewise it's NAY-sit to me. That rolls off my native-English-speaking tongue way easier than the other pronunciations. Of course, if the mileage of others varies, I'm cool with that too.

We went over this in the past. Pronunciation aside, it came from a French speaking colony and means cut in half(like the picture). I am not a French pro, but the in isolation the T would likely be pronounced, but in actual use it would probably be silent when describing what you're nacetting. Like: Nace(t) le crocodile

I am pretty sure it's nan like nanny or Nantes(pronounced nan-t) so: nac-ay-le-crocodile

I may have had too much wine and shouldn't be answering this :a54:

Upon further reflection, I am not sure who I got that translation from, but I know we had a thread about this. Maybe the word isn't French in of itself, but I remember a colonial connection.

Top Bottom