What's new

Copper Ascension Twist

Did Anyone score the Copper Ascension Twist yesterday? They were sold out by the time I saw the email. Late to the party again.

I look forward to your review. I have one of the Evolution DOC razors from a few years ago and it is probably the most aggressive I've used - think Charcoal Goods lvl 3 or Muhle R-89 and then some. The copper one is billed as being adjustable - seems similar to the old Eclipse Red Ring - slacken or tighten the head a bit and the blade flexes. It works well enough on the Red Ring just not as precise as the old Gillette Fat Boy style of detented adjustment.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I look forward to your review. I have one of the Evolution DOC razors from a few years ago and it is probably the most aggressive I've used - think Charcoal Goods lvl 3 or Muhle R-89 and then some. The copper one is billed as being adjustable - seems similar to the old Eclipse Red Ring - slacken or tighten the head a bit and the blade flexes. It works well enough on the Red Ring just not as precise as the old Gillette Fat Boy style of detented adjustment.

This does indeed work on my Ti68 ... saw how fast these copper beauties flew!

x2 on reading the review!

AA

Solid razor....

F41B1BF8-91FB-4556-9E3D-6F6A0C42B8DA.jpeg

If you’ve seen the reviews on the SS version, it’s pretty much the same as that. Only difference is in the weight of the Copper over the Stainless. It still is nicely balanced and the extra heft I feel actually aided in the shave a bit. Still very smooth and efficient feeling throughout the whole shave. And of course the beauty of the whole thing is the dual open comb design. It just allows for that bit of lather to come along on every stroke as the razor and blade just glides effortlessly across ones face. Fit and finish is excellent and I think that this handle actually feels just a tad less grippier than the Stainless or Aluminum version. But, it still feels fine in the hands and it never felt like it was going to slip or fall out of my hands.

If you have the Stainless or Aluminum I think there really is no need for the Copper version unless of course, you don’t happen to have a copper razor in your possession. If you missed out on either of the first two, the Copper Ascension would be a fine pick up. If, they become available again.

A7D105F1-4892-4F4B-82BA-ECE24EE63627.jpeg

I have one of the Evolution DOC razors from a few years ago and it is probably the most aggressive I've used - think Charcoal Goods lvl 3 or Muhle R-89 and then some.

True that! I too have one of the DOC Evos, in black and red aluminum. It is too aggressive for my tastes. I expect I'll put it up on the BST one of these days.

If you have the Stainless or Aluminum I think there really is no need for the Copper version unless of course, you don’t happen to have a copper razor in your possession.
GB, I infer that you have at least tried all three versions of the Ascension. Which is your favorite? I have the SS, but have never tried or even handled the aluminum or copper versions. Have to say, the copper looks pretty sweet.

True that! I too have one of the DOC Evos, in black and red aluminum. It is too aggressive for my tastes. I expect I'll put it up on the BST one of these days.

GB, I infer that you have at least tried all three versions of the Ascension. Which is your favorite? I have the SS, but have never tried or even handled the aluminum or copper versions. Have to say, the copper looks pretty sweet.

Let me get in a couple more shaves with the Copper Ascension. Maybe even a head to head between the two razors. But, I like it so far.....

Aluminum version with Aqua Blue baseplate is now available. Just bought it as my first DOC but very likely will have to replace handle since the razor is too light

Aluminum version with Aqua Blue baseplate is now available. Just bought it as my first DOC but very likely will have to replace handle since the razor is too light

I thought the same thing with the Aluminum DOC Ascension. But, I was pleasantly surprised at how well it shaved in both being very smooth and deceptively efficient. I also tried it with a heavier handle and it worked well. I know it’s light but, it shaves very, very well indeed.

The Ascension family of razors shares nothing shave characteristics wise with it’s older brother, the venerable EVO DOC razor. That razor which is the one to the extreme right is a ferociously efficient and some have even termed it as a harsh shaver. The EVO nearly has no bend or angle to the blade, almost straight and is rigidly supported almost the whole width and length of he blade. So, it’s a very blade forward feeling shaver that requires a nice light touch and smooth even strokes. It’s not a razor you pick up for a late morning get to work 5 minute shaver. It requires some concentration and good technique to get the best out of it. The Ascension series of razors have much more of a curvature built in to give it that built in twist adjustability that it was designed for using the blade for tension. It’s a lot smoother than the EVO yet, just as efficient in shave performance. And a whole lot easier and forgiving on the skin. They really are all excellent performers, the Ascension series of razors that is. And the EVO is without question my preferred open comb razor in my den. It’s a heck of a razor as well.

Aluminum, Copper, Stainless Ascension razors and the EVO DOC SS
B3754879-D6A9-4D4A-BE35-C6CC50C76A77.jpeg

0FAC6D43-00AC-4CB6-A7F7-6474829E7836.jpeg

DE1E69B1-2773-46AB-9DCB-2E35E52D4995.jpeg

I thought the same thing with the Aluminum DOC Ascension. But, I was pleasantly surprised at how well it shaved in both being very smooth and deceptively efficient. I also tried it with a heavier handle and it worked well. I know it’s light but, it shaves very, very well indeed.

The Ascension family of razors shares nothing shave characteristics wise with it’s older brother, the venerable EVO DOC razor. That razor which is the one to the extreme right is a ferociously efficient and some have even termed it as a harsh shaver. The EVO nearly has no bend or angle to the blade, almost straight and is rigidly supported almost the whole width and length of he blade. So, it’s a very blade forward feeling shaver that requires a nice light touch and smooth even strokes. It’s not a razor you pick up for a late morning get to work 5 minute shaver. It requires some concentration and good technique to get the best out of it. The Ascension series of razors have much more of a curvature built in to give it that built in twist adjustability that it was designed for using the blade for tension. It’s a lot smoother than the EVO yet, just as efficient in shave performance. And a whole lot easier and forgiving on the skin. They really are all excellent performers, the Ascension series of razors that is. And the EVO is without question my preferred open comb razor in my den. It’s a heck of a razor as well.

Aluminum, Copper, Stainless Ascension razors and the EVO DOC SS
View attachment 986126

View attachment 986128

View attachment 986127
Thanks for the information that they are on the mild side. They are sold out quickly so I decided to try what was available instead of waiting for the one where both parts of the head are the same color but I really like the new color combo.

GlazedBoker,

Thank you for the great pics. I do think that copper Ascension looks super sweet.

I was intrigued by your remarks re the DOC Evo. You state that the Ascension is "a lot smoother than the EVO yet, just as efficient in shave performance. And a whole lot easier and forgiving on the skin." But the Evo is nevertheless your preferred open comb razor. Hmm...

Not sure I follow, but you have inspired my to pull out my DOC Evo for tomorrow's shave. I have not used it this year, so it's been a while. Let's see whether my shave game is up to the challenge posed by that fierce beast.

GlazedBoker,

Thank you for the great pics. I do think that copper Ascension looks super sweet.

I was intrigued by your remarks re the DOC Evo. You state that the Ascension is "a lot smoother than the EVO yet, just as efficient in shave performance. And a whole lot easier and forgiving on the skin." But the Evo is nevertheless your preferred open comb razor. Hmm...

Not sure I follow, but you have inspired my to pull out my DOC Evo for tomorrow's shave. I have not used it this year, so it's been a while. Let's see whether my shave game is up to the challenge posed by that fierce beast.

It’s my favorite in regards to how blade forward it is in feel. With a light touch and just slightly off the cap, it is relatively smooth. The kicker is keeping that angle and technique consistent throughout the whole shave. If your lax you will pay. But, if your game is on point, it’s perhaps the finest open comb 2 pass razor in existence.

The Ascension gives you the EVO type efficiency but, with a smooth feel like a GC .68 up to a Timeless .95 depending on how you adjust or turn the handle to your liking. It’s a much easier razor to handle and forgiving. There is no forgiveness with the EVO....

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Gus That Copper is sure Pretty .
I have always liked the shiny Copper look.
I have a vintage Gillette that I am thinking of having it plated in Copper .
But I am not sure if it's a sin or not .:)

Gus That Copper is sure Pretty .
I have always liked the shiny Copper look.
I have a vintage Gillette that I am thinking of having it plated in Copper .
But I am not sure if it's a sin or not .:)

Steve, my friend, you take that Gillette and plate it in whatever finish you want. I think a vintage Gillette razor in a copper motif would look amazing. If K. Gillette were alive today, he’d dig it too.... :punk:

Top Bottom