What's new

CONVEX STROP

I bought a black ark convex stone and realized I was getting much better edges then a flat stone. I purchased a plate to convex my other stones and I remember seeing a Murray Carter's video with him stopping on a hard flat service and stating you get much better edges than the regular way. I decided if it gave me excellent results honing on a convex stone I would convex a 3 x 12 x 2 balsa wood to see what results I could get stropping on that. Results: I can do 10-15 laps on the convex setup instead of 60+ on a regular leather strop. Edge gave a much better shave. I noticed the blade and edge stayed flat throughout the lapping and under a microscope produced a much smoother edge. I know there are many who do not believe in the convex process. I don't sell plates, stones or lapping set ups. I am just informing shavers of what I found. If you don't believe in this thats fine. If your like me and am always looking for a better mouse trap, this may be something to try. The leather is held on by easy removable clamps with rubber tips so it doesn't intent the leather. Stopping area 3 x 9.
IMG_0012.jpeg
'e

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I was just thinking about a similar setup for lapping films. Didn’t make it happen; unlike you - that is an awesome execution of an awesome design; but was just thinking about it.

I bought a black ark convex stone and realized I was getting much better edges then a flat stone. I purchased a plate to convex my other stones and I remember seeing a Murray Carter's video with him stopping on a hard flat service and stating you get much better edges than the regular way. I decided if it gave me excellent results honing on a convex stone I would convex a 3 x 12 x 2 balsa wood to see what results I could get stropping on that. Results: I can do 10-15 laps on the convex setup instead of 60+ on a regular leather strop. Edge gave a much better shave. I noticed the blade and edge stayed flat throughout the lapping and under a microscope produced a much smoother edge. I know there are many who do not believe in the convex process. I don't sell plates, stones or lapping set ups. I am just informing shavers of what I found. If you don't believe in this thats fine. If your like me and am always looking for a better mouse trap, this may be something to try. The leather is held on by easy removable clamps with rubber tips so it doesn't intent the leather. Stopping area 3 x 9.View attachment 1304692'e
I find this very interesting.
You need less laps. -Do you think this is because you can use a higher stropping load/torque?
Do you compare the result to a hanging, paddle or loom strop?

I Always liked hanging strops because it is so easy to store several hanging strops together on a hanger, good overview and fast to pick one and put "the stripe" around a door knob and strop.

But realise I never looked into this myself. And after testing a loom strop with spring support that doesn't kill the edge even if using a very heavy stropping load I find your setup interesting.

It looks very concave in the picture. Is this your first attempt or have you made different designs?
Is it also concave sidewise?

If it is better I want a haning one.
@Tony Miller, when will you make lengthwise convex hanging leather strop?
:a30:

I find this very interesting.
You need less laps. -Do you think this is because you can use a higher stropping load/torque?
Do you compare the result to a hanging, paddle or loom strop?

I Always liked hanging strops because it is so easy to store several hanging strops together on a hanger, good overview and fast to pick one and put "the stripe" around a door knob and strop.

But realise I never looked into this myself. And after testing a loom strop with spring support that doesn't kill the edge even if using a very heavy stropping load I find your setup interesting.

It looks very concave in the picture. Is this your first attempt or have you made different designs?
Is it also concave sidewise?

This is my first attempt. I used an aluminum lapping plate to convex the Balsa wood. I now use double faced tape to adhere the leather to the wood. I like that it's easy to change leather , cotton or linen on the wood yet not as bulky as the clamps. I have used a hanging strop for years. I have also used a SRD paddle strop and a Maesto Livi loom strop. Since I was honing on convex stones, I first laid the leather over the stone to see how the razor reacted. I got very good results so I decided to convex a balsa block. It's lighter and if dropped I won't get ruined. The convex balsa is very easy to adjust the razor pressure on. My observation is that the razor's spine and edge stay flat along the angle and in the same geometric angle as when the razor was honed. When honing, you don't use a flexible stone so why use a flexible strop? I find you don't need as many laps because the razor is flat and in the same angle as when it was honed. Stropping on my convex balsa does not round the edge. In fact it's the complete opposite. I am sure there are those who will only want to use hanging strops which is fine. I am not here to sell or convert those who do not want to try something different. I owe this experiment to watching Murray Carter's video on honing a razor. If he can get a spoon sharp enough to shave with, he has enough credibility with me to recommend stropping on a hard service. I don't see the merit to making a convex lengthwise strop. The stone is different. Convexing a stone length wise would be beneficial for correcting the bevel and edge but not for stropping in my opinion.

@A Cut Above, but it is convex length wise according to the picture.
But it's not also convex sideways?
English is not my first language so perhaps my writing is bad...

God setup that you can change the strop and also use
other stropping material.

It's creative testing. And thank you for explaining your thoughts!

@A Cut Above, but it is convex length wise according to the picture.
But it's not also convex sideways?
English is not my first language so perhaps my writing is bad...

God setup that you can change the strop and also use
other stropping material.

It's creative testing. And thank you for explaining your thoughts!
You are correct, it is convex length wise not sideways as per picture. I am a former engineer and have been taught, ask and you will receive, try and you will find.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…

Well, that idea is not one that can work. Convex sideways across the width is easy and effective for most people. Lengthwise just can't happen and still be flexible unless the leather is bonded to a thin, convex cured substrate like fiberglass, carbon fiber or sheet metal making it more like a thin paddle strop.

Cool idea though

I bought a black ark convex stone and realized I was getting much better edges then a flat stone. I purchased a plate to convex my other stones and I remember seeing a Murray Carter's video with him stopping on a hard flat service and stating you get much better edges than the regular way. I decided if it gave me excellent results honing on a convex stone I would convex a 3 x 12 x 2 balsa wood to see what results I could get stropping on that. Results: I can do 10-15 laps on the convex setup instead of 60+ on a regular leather strop. Edge gave a much better shave. I noticed the blade and edge stayed flat throughout the lapping and under a microscope produced a much smoother edge. I know there are many who do not believe in the convex process. I don't sell plates, stones or lapping set ups. I am just informing shavers of what I found. If you don't believe in this thats fine. If your like me and am always looking for a better mouse trap, this may be something to try. The leather is held on by easy removable clamps with rubber tips so it doesn't intent the leather. Stopping area 3 x 9.View attachment 1304692'e
I am updating my strop. I removed the clamps and glued magnetic sheeting to the balsa. This enables me to interchange pads easily and gives some flex to the pads. I took the leather, diamond and chromium oxide pads from my straight razor design paddle strop and it works fantastic. I can also take other leather and adhere it to the magnetic sheet to add some diversity to the process. Works great.
IMG_0033.jpeg
IMG_0034.jpeg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I am updating my strop. I removed the clamps and glued magnetic sheeting to the balsa. This enables me to interchange pads easily and gives some flex to the pads. I took the leather, diamond and chromium oxide pads from my straight razor design paddle strop and it works fantastic. I can also take other leather and adhere it to the magnetic sheet to add some diversity to the process. Works great.View attachment 1329421View attachment 1329422
Very intriguing my friend! Following.

I am updating my strop. I removed the clamps and glued magnetic sheeting to the balsa. This enables me to interchange pads easily and gives some flex to the pads. I took the leather, diamond and chromium oxide pads from my straight razor design paddle strop and it works fantastic. I can also take other leather and adhere it to the magnetic sheet to add some diversity to the process. Works great.View attachment 1329421View attachment 1329422

nice, are these 6x2 or something like that?

How large is the wheel radius of your strop and stone?

Well, that idea is not one that can work. Convex sideways across the width is easy and effective for most people. Lengthwise just can't happen and still be flexible unless the leather is bonded to a thin, convex cured substrate like fiberglass, carbon fiber or sheet metal making it more like a thin paddle strop.

Cool idea though
Since I added the magnetic sheeting, it gives more flex. By the way, I cut down your strop I have and it really works great.

I get the “theory” behind the convex hone, but don’t understand the strop. Any leather or linen will deflect enough and polish the leading edge that a convex strop is not needed.

You are polishing the same edge. Heck, honing on lapping film with a sheet of copy paper has proved that.

Do value your ingenuity and well-made strop.

Here are some micrographs from Tim Zowada of a linen stropped edge, 40 laps. The photos are the width of a human hair.

1Base800.jpg

1AddLinen800.jpg

If the curvature of the strop is 20 ft and you use a 7/8 razor, the theoretical hollow ground effect in the middle of the bevel, if used on a hard surface is 0.0518393208 micron. A human hair is 80-100 micron. So if you divide a human hair, or the photo 1929 times i would be surprised that there would be a major difference. Help me fill in the blanks here. You would need a really small wheel radius to get any effect. If you reduce the wheel radius to 3.3 ft, you will get a hollow ground effect of 0.32 micron. That is equivalent to a human hair divided 316 times.
It would be nice to see a photo where the edge is stropped on a hanging strop vs the wheel shaped strop. I am not here to argue, but the numbers just do not add up.
The only way it would make sense to me is if the bevel was somehow allowed to flex more provided is was shaped on a convex stone that also had a smaller wheel radius.

Top Bottom